Attic Insulation

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Attic Insulation

Postby cfhebertjrphayao » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:36 am

What is the best product available, in Thailand, for insulating the ceiling above Gypsum board? Brand names, types of material, installation tips, etc would be greatly appreciated.
cfhebertjrphayao

Re: Attic Insulation

Postby rucus7 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:04 pm

What is best is a matter of opinion. We purchased Stay-Cool R-23 batts .60 X 4.0 meters incased in foil. Not yet installed, because the sheetrock has not been hung. If it had not been on sale we probably would have purchased R-11.
rucus7

Postby cfhebertjrphayao » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:29 pm

Thanks Rucus7 I have seen a product at Homopro in CEX but could not remember the brand name. I do not really care about best as long as it works. We installed foam between brick outside and panelling inside. Now trying to decide on Aircon brand....leaning toward York or Carrier which mounts on wall at floor vs. ceiling hung.
cfhebertjrphayao

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:06 pm

rucus7 wrote:What is best is a matter of opinion. We purchased Stay-Cool R-23 batts .60 X 4.0 meters incased in foil. Not yet installed, because the sheetrock has not been hung. If it had not been on sale we probably would have purchased R-11.

rucus7 How about posting a few pictures of your build. As they say one picture is worth a thousand words.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby rucus7 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:14 pm

BKKBILL wrote:
rucus7 wrote:What is best is a matter of opinion. We purchased Stay-Cool R-23 batts .60 X 4.0 meters incased in foil. Not yet installed, because the sheetrock has not been hung. If it had not been on sale we probably would have purchased R-11.

rucus7 How about posting a few pictures of your build. As they say one picture is worth a thousand words.

I have been posting pictures in the picture forum for several months. I put some in this week. let me know what you think. Here are the 77 rolls of insulation stored and ready to go in.
Attachments
DSC_0835.jpg
Last edited by rucus7 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rucus7

Postby fredlk » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:20 pm

rucus7 wrote:
BKKBILL wrote:rucus7 How about posting a few pictures of your build. As they say one picture is worth a thousand words.

I have been posting pictures in the picture forum for several months. I put some in this week. let me know what you think

Where are they? I can't seem to locate them.
fredlk

Postby rucus7 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:27 pm

fredlk wrote:
rucus7 wrote:
BKKBILL wrote:rucus7 How about posting a few pictures of your build. As they say one picture is worth a thousand words.

I have been posting pictures in the picture forum for several months. I put some in this week. let me know what you think

Where are they? I can't seem to locate them.

Forum picture gallery, click on, last uploads
rucus7

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:39 pm

Thanks rucus, missed them sorry.
It might be an idea to put this in your signature.

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/th ... y&uid=1505

It will help the members find your pictures.

Or start a new thread if you want comments. :D
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Fritz » Tue May 17, 2011 3:21 pm

I can see from the pics from Rucus that the insulation material is applied on top of the ceiling and not directly underneath (against) the roof tiles.

Suppose that you have an existing ceiling would it be possible to add a layer of insulation material on top of that? Or do you need to make an extra construction for that?

Thanks,

Fritz
Fritz

Postby geordie » Tue May 17, 2011 4:27 pm

Fritz insulation is like a thermos it works both ways

my preference would be
No 1 lots of money sprayed foam to underside of roof
No 2 reflective foil on uderside of roof causing convection currents drawing cooler air from the soffits so venting is important to create air flow also benifits by stopping radiated heat building up in the roofspace
No 3 probably the most common is a wool blanket on the ceiling stops heat entering the room through the ceiling but will also stop heat leaving the room the same way so can be counter productive although very worthwhile if used with aircon

These are my preferences and in order of favorite
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Tue May 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Fritz wrote:Suppose that you have an existing ceiling would it be possible to add a layer of insulation material on top of that? Or do you need to make an extra construction for that?

I think it could be laid on the existing ceiling.
fredlk

Postby Fritz » Tue May 17, 2011 9:53 pm

Hi Thanks for your reply! That's what I thought as well. It's insulation wool that I'm after. The other options wouldn't be feasible/affordable for me as the roof is already on the house.

I can assume that the bugs residing in Thailand don't take a liking in insulation material... ?
Besides the insulation material incased in foil is there any kind of coating/repellent that needs to be sprayed on it to keep it clear from unwanted residents?

Any ideas on prices ranges for rolls of 0.6X4.00 m?

For us it serves a double purpose: first to increase the efficiency of our air conditioning unit and second to keep unwanted noise out. I noticed that a lot of noise comes into the bedrooms through the roof/ceiling.

Many thanks,

Fritz
Fritz

Postby fredlk » Tue May 17, 2011 10:05 pm

Fritz wrote:I can assume that the bugs residing in Thailand don't take a liking in insulation material... ?

I have never heard of anybody complain of bugs or insects in their insulation. I think it is laid as it is and no extra protection is added.
Fritz wrote:Any ideas on prices ranges for rolls of 0.6X4.00 m?

In some building stories there might be some prices. I know that Max used it in his Building an Australian House. Try to search for "insulation" or "ceiling insulation".
fredlk

Postby cfhebertjrphayao » Tue May 17, 2011 10:44 pm

Hi Fritz,

I think we paid around 275 baht per roll. Less than 300 for sure.

The name may be "STAY COOL" and is made by Siam Cement (http://www.siamfiberglass.com/products_green.php)and available at most large builder shops. We buy in Chiang Rai or Phayao.

The Thai name is "Chanone" or something like that.

You should not worry about pests. Just seal the soffets with screen material.
cfhebertjrphayao

Re: Attic Insulation --> Stax Cool costs

Postby juehoe » Wed May 18, 2011 8:08 am

Fritz wrote:Any ideas on prices ranges for rolls of 0.6X4.00 m?
Fritz

Seen in Homepro. Cost for 1 roll. Figures in brackets show current promotion:

R21 (75 mm) THB 350 (295)
    R27 (75 mm) THB 450 (325)
    R37 (150 mm) THB 650 (425)
juehoe

Next

Return to cooling systems