Dehumidifier

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Dehumidifier

Postby wildebeest » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:09 pm

For you folks out there that do not use AC, has anyone thought, seen or used a Dehumidifier??

Would this increase the comfort zone of the house to have less humidity in the air?
wildebeest

Re: Dehumidifier

Postby jazzman » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:19 pm

Humidity in Thailand is not generall our problem. Even in the rainy season, after the short but violent showers, the RH seems to stabilis
e very quickly.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby cruzing » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:56 pm

You're kidding right.....humidity is not a problem.......I don't know what planet you are on, but in my neck of the woods
it is definitely a problem.
cruzing

Postby jazzman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:51 pm

Planet Earth, and no kidding :D I agree that it depends very much on one's 'neck of the woods', particularly in coastal areas. The rest of the country enjoys a relatively dry heat, exept of course during the rainy season.
jazzman

Postby cruzing » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:58 pm

my point exactly.....rainy season is at least six months long, and this year it was longer. Dry in Thailand is still humid. Most of the U.S. for instance is a lot dryer than Thailand, but still considered humid.............even in Nebraska this summer, the weather felt fine for me coming from Thailand, but everyone there was complaining of the humidity.

Even during the dry season there is some humidity....you only notice it if you're working physically, but you can still sweat. Dry is San Diego....(I never ever sweat in San Diego).......and REALLY dry is a Santa Ana wind.....which is horrible. I think you are just used to it or come from a humid country to begin with.

A 27 degree (80F) room with humidity will feel a lot hotter than one with less humidity. The thing about trying to use a humidifier in Thailand is that the temperature inside would have to be around 27 +/- .....whatever temp is comfortable to you normally without humidity........and then you would need to keep all your windows closed and use fans/floor fans etc to move the air a bit.
cruzing

Postby grant » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:47 pm

I experimented with a dehumidifier instead of air conditioning in a bedroom at night in Phuket. It did reduce the humidity in the room to a comfortable level (room needs to be well sealed) but it also raised the temperature in the room to an uncomfortable level. Portable units give off a fair amount of heat as a byproduct. Some research I did a couple of yeas ago on whole house systems showed the energy consumption was nearly as high as using air conditioning in tropical areas.
grant

Postby cruzing » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:23 pm

yeah, overall, it's probably not worth it. Probably more important, if you don't want to use a/c, just to keep the interior as
cool as possible. For us, it's shutting the windows in the morning, most of the year, before it gets to warm......fans & ceiling fans.

Some days during the hot season are just too hot though no matter what you do and we're glad to have a/c backup. Also gives some
relief when the humidity gets unbearable........and it has....not that many days....but I've seen a few days that you could literally
see it hanging in the air.

cruzing
cruzing

Postby thaifly » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:56 am

[quote="cruzing" For us, it's shutting the windows in the morning, most of the year, before it gets to warm......fans & ceiling fans.

[/quote]
gidday ..to the very knowlegeble CRUZING...its the thaifly from mae rim...you have certainly have got it right on your above post...exacactly the same way as we go about it..close all windows morning...open all windows at nite ...ceiling fans..going non stop....and apart from april..we live very comfortable all year round...without having to go to the extra expense of a/c being installed and paying for the electricity that they gobble up...and as for your comments on humidity in thailand in previous posts..you are spot on again...dont worry humidtycan be problem in thailand everywhere i might add..as for mae rim my humidty barometer changes constantly during the day and everyday through out the year..cold hot and wet...as you said the great jazzman is on another planet on this topic ....that humidty is not a problem in thailand..its just a case some places are worse than others its a very sensible cruzing GIDDAY TO ALL...its the thai fly frommae rim
thaifly

Return to cooling systems