AirCon loss of performance per meter

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: AirCon loss of performance per meter

Postby fredlk » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:48 pm

MGV12 wrote:Positioning your air con heat exchangers in your crawl space will be better than on an external wall .......

I am most probably going to do it like this because there is more space under the house than there is wall to place the units.
Has anybody seen or done so already and if so, what are your experiences as far as noise and / or heat are concerned?
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:02 am

fredlk wrote:
MGV12 wrote:Positioning your air con heat exchangers in your crawl space will be better than on an external wall .......

Has anybody seen or done so already and if so, what are your experiences as far as noise and / or heat are concerned?

So the answer is most probably no. Watch http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1698 for how it turns out. :D
fredlk

Postby jazzman » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:21 pm

The air that is blown out of the heat exchanger is quite hot - there are now even attachments available that will recover that hot air and recycle it for other purposes needing heat.

If aircon units are top be installed in a crawl space, it is essential that the space is well aired, preferably with the draft from a prevailing breeze going through it - otherwise all you will be doing is heating up the floor of the house.

On units mounted on outside walls, avoiding the heat being drawin into the roof space through the soffit ventilation is a good point - something I had never thought of.
jazzman

Postby fredlk » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:45 pm

jazzman wrote:The air that is blown out of the heat exchanger is quite hot - there are now even attachments available that will recover that hot air and recycle it for other purposes needing heat.

I had heard that, but I am hoping to only need an air-conditioner in a bedroom from midnight to 7 a.m. and so it will not be worth the investment. I also only use hot water for showering during a couple of weeks in December.
jazzman wrote:If aircon units are top be installed in a crawl space, it is essential that the space is well aired, preferably with the draft from a prevailing breeze going through it

The whole house will be raised and the crawl-space will be well vented and so I think that the breezes on the hillside will do the trick.
Of course if it turns out not to work, then I will just have to move them out of there.
fredlk

Previous

Return to cooling systems