dogs and guns

Anything about security. Security systems, crime, recommended protective measures and the like.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

dogs and guns

Postby dozer » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:47 am

I can really see why everyone around here has dogs. They are cheap and effective. You always here the stories about dogs getting posioned so the buglars can get in, and I'm sure it happens, but it has to be rare. The dog we have now is a good protection dog by nature.

We used to have a lot of trouble with kids around here, before I had some stuff out behind the perimeter wall and they kept getting into it. Also, people jumped the fence before and went through our yard to the neighbors house. All before the dog.

About the neighbor's kids -- the neighbors said if we caught them getting into our stuff we could beat the crap out of them, but that didn't seem like a very good suggestion.

Any real stories of having problems when dogs are on premises?
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:20 pm

Dogs are the best home protection you can get, but at night time bring them inside your home, mainly due to the mossies, but also the chance of them being poisoned.

Burgular alarms are not a deterrent untill they go off, then you maybe in the situation where you will have to confront the burgulars, as most burgularies are done by groups, unless your Bruce Lee it maybe best not to confront them.

A few years ago, within a 30 day period I knew of three farangs that were held up in their own homes at gun point, these were Thai teenagers groups of 5 or 6, thats when I decided my new hobby was going to be Rottweillers and also got a gun licence for the house, obviously most people are wary of 50 to 60 kilo dogs with such a bad reputation, so they don't break in, if you have never kept or trained dogs before though I wouldn't reccomend you to start with a rottie.

The Limey without a password.

Postby Attila » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:34 pm

Anonymous wrote:...
A few years ago, within a 30 day period I knew of three farangs that were held up in their own homes at gun point, these were Thai teenagers groups of 5 or 6, thats when I decided my new hobby was going to be Rottweillers and also got a gun licence for the house, obviously most people are wary of 50 to 60 kilo dogs with such a bad reputation, so they don't break in, if you have never kept or trained dogs before though I wouldn't reccomend you to start with a rottie.

You got some puppies needing a new home :?:

Anonymous wrote:...
... and also got a gun licence for the house,...

Is that possible? Easy? Costs? Requirements?

If they ever come to my new house I would have a 160 meter road where they come or go to target carefully :wink:
Attila

Guns in Thailand

Postby atlas_shrugged » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:16 am

There's a gun store on the south side of Thepprasit Road about 500 meters west of Sukhumvit, in the white building complex that has the weekend market. They don't keep guns on display, but you can go in and tell them what you're interested in. The guy showed me a nice Benelli shotgun, the fastest semi-auto shotgun in the world, for about 80,000 Baht.

Ordinary Thais can own guns, but I believe they have to keep them in the house only. You'd have to have your Thai-significant-other actually buy the gun, then the store helps with the government paperwork, i.e. she needs to register it and get a background check.

In the States I posted a hundred-yard rifle-aiming target inside the glass next to my front door. It had only 3 holes, all bull's eyes touching each other in the center. That plus the National Rifle Association lifetime member sticker and the one that said "Warning: The owner of this property is armed. There is nothing in here that is worth your life" resulted in no problems with crime whatsoever over a period of 14 years :D. Who'd have guessed???

Yes, it was an actual target, made with three shots at 100 yards. Man, I miss that gun... :cry:
atlas_shrugged

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:12 pm

No puppies yet, the bitch is only just over 2 years old, the dog about 6 years old.

Theres a gun shop in Chonburi, not much of a selection, but guns are extremely expensive here, second hand .38 s+w 30 k and upwards.

The license is easy in a Thais name, they need a reason for owning the gun and home defence is a perfectly acceptable reason, they need to see a bit of money in the bank, I believe over 50,000baht, the Thai has to be on the house papers for that house for at least a year, they also need a list of your more "expensive possessions", ie tvs etc to cars and bikes.

canons

Postby RobinT » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:59 pm

:D

thanks for the info

we live on a farm a bit boutside the village and i have always beens concerned that we are exposed at night. I am not concerned about our villagers, its more the intinerants labourers and peddlars in pickups you have to worry about. a shot gun would be a good deterrent. at least you can aim to wound.

my wife tells me that if anyone climbs over your perimeter fence at night and is unknown to you , you can challenge and shoot legally

is this true? :wink:

i still maintain that the first defence must be a securely locked house and perimeter

one must not underestimate the flang factor in the LOS

there is a lot of hidden hatred underneath it all - but generally not from your neighbours
RobinT

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:40 am

As long as they have a weapon you can shoot them, obviously you have to explain that it was a life threatening situation, they aint gonna fall for 3 shots in the back..

One time there was about 6 Thai guys trying to break into the back of my building, my girlfriend shouted out the upstairs window that she would shoot at them, they started laughing and then throwing bottles towards the upstairs window and then carried on trying to break in, she went and got the gun and then started firing in their general direction, they weren't laughing then, but could you imagine the situation if she did not have access to a gun? a door will not stand upto 6 people trying to break in, and what would have happened if they had got inside?

I used to be a director of a security alarm company, this was years ago, 99 percent of the customers were people that had been burglared that week, that's leaving it a bit late I reckon, ok in the UK there is rarely violence from burgulars and they generally work alone, here they work in gangs and it's not that uncommon for them to kill the houseowner.....

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:24 pm

My Baby :)

[img][img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/dirtydog1/cd777cbe.jpg[/img][/img]

Rottweillers

Postby dozer » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:29 am

agree with limey - The dog we now have is a rottweiller/thai dog mix, is very intelligent and a good watch dog. I looked at getting a german shepard but don't think they do so good here due to the heat. I'm soon going to get another dog, probably a purebred rottweiler.
dozer
Site Admin

Re: canons

Postby Boon Mee » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:58 am

RobinT wrote::D
one must not underestimate the flang factor in the LOS

there is a lot of hidden hatred underneath it all...

"hidden hatred"
Man...where do you live?
Boon Mee

Postby whosyourdaddy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:29 pm

Hate the dogs in my area, Noisy. People leave them out all night and they bark for hours. Called the cops, talked to the people. Nothing helped.. Bought a $100 super bark stop device. Did not really work. Just made them more angry and louder. In the end, my golf club banging on their gate at 3 AM did the trick. Told them I would give the dogs a special treat if they did not shut them up.
whosyourdaddy

Postby SVielha » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:38 pm

Hi Guys.

Is there a place in Thailand, where I could get a real Rottweiller?

If yes, how much would it cost?

I`m thinking about buying one for my parents in law, to secure the new house a little bit more. :wink:
SVielha

Postby SVielha » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:42 pm

This is my/our current dog "Lucy".

Not realy scary, isn`t it! :wink:
Attachments
dog.jpg
SVielha

new security system

Postby cruzing » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:02 pm

Here's part of our new security system. We got them at six weeks old and they're only half grown, but already earning their keep. Purchased from a British guy we know that has all shepherds for his security business. We've trained them like all our dogs not to eat unless told to.....works 100% of the time for us and about 98% so far when we've had someone else try to feed them.

Cruzing

(yeah, they're all feet and ears right now! :lol: )
Attachments
four legged security.jpg
cruzing

Gun licence

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:00 pm

Anyone have any specific information about getting a gun license for thai wife?

We have a Glock arriving in Oct (purchased for 55,000 baht) that will be registered
to dad (all legally purchased), and I want to transfer ownership to the wife, to make
it all legal to keep it at home.

Anyone done something similar or have info?

Thanks.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Next

Return to security