Swimming pool? "how about the price"

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Swimming pool? "how about the price"

Postby sjeng » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:09 pm

35 = 40 tons ok but nicely devided over 35 m2 is less than a human footstep
sjeng

Postby geordie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:58 pm

Thanks for the reply on the wall i had a suspicion it was pre fab we have similar over here (uk) but not too common now because of high purchase and instalation costs looks good though with a coat of paint and will flex if any settlement so no big deal to repair although reading your pool posting you are above the water table so rain is the main issue
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby MGV12 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:15 pm

CDNinKS wrote:the soil here is VERY hard clay and the water table is nowhere near the surface. As I mentioned before, the pool builder is a professional engineer

The point a lot of 'qualified' or 'professional' builders [of pools or houses] .. let alone the self-taught or amateur ... often miss is the affect of the soil condition[s] pertaining on the site. Hence a major reason why so many constructions are over-engineered here by 'our' standards ... it's not simply because of seismic activity or potential corner cutting ... it's more to do with them not being able to calculate what is actually required.

From his work so far your guy looks like he knows what he is doing and ... as you are aware of the fact that your water table will not be a problem with that clay ... you are obviously on the case.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby domino » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:01 am

cdn, 20cm wall is ok, most of the pool builders only make them 15cm ( more cheap), my pool also has 20cm wall, and 30cm floor with 5 extra re-enforced beams, prevention for the problem MGV12 mentioned about soil,
the work they are doing looks nice... :wink:
domino

Postby fredlk » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:14 pm

MGV12 wrote:Hence a major reason why so many constructions are over-engineered here by 'our' standards ... it's not simply because of seismic activity or potential corner cutting ... it's more to do with them not being able to calculate what is actually required.

For those of you who might not have heard of earthquakes in Thailand, this is from today's Bangkok Post:

"Small quake in Chiang Mai's Mae Ai area

An earthquake measured at 3.3 on the Richter scale hit Chiang Mai's Mae Ai district on Tuesday night, but caused no damage or casualties.
Adisorn Fungkhachorn, deputy spokesman of the Northern Branch Office of the Meteorological Department, said the epicentre of the quake, which occurred at 11.10pm, was in Mae Ai district. The tremor was slightly felt but caused some people to panic and flee their houses for fear of aftershocks.
Mr Adisorn said Mae Ai district sits on a fault line extending from Mae Chan district of Chiang Rai, through Mae Ai, Fang, Chiang Dao, Mae Rim and San Kamphaeng districts of Chiang Mai, to Mae Tha district of Lamphun. He said the most recent quake before last night was in Nan province on Feb 23.
"
fredlk

Postby CDNinKS » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:47 pm

Forms off....
Attachments
DSC00713_2_2.jpg
DSC00709_2_2.jpg
CDNinKS

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:03 am

CDNinKS the pool is progressing well but for me every time I blow-up the pictures the fence is what draws my eye. :mrgreen:

You said the outfit was Redi-fence in BKK. Do you have any contact information?
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby CDNinKS » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:21 am

Hi Bill,

Sorry, my mistake on the spelling, it is Readyfence.....here is a link:

http://www.readyfence.biz/
CDNinKS

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:50 am

CDNinKS wrote:Hi Bill,

Sorry, my mistake on the spelling, it is Readyfence.....here is a link:

http://www.readyfence.biz/

Thanks for that here is the Google translation of the same page.

http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... nce.biz%2F
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby domino » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:06 am

cdn, nice fotos, brings back memory.s when i build mine, what i am missing on the photo,where is the skimmer? as it is not overflow , normally is mounted all ready inside the wall or are u using other system?
domino

Postby sjeng » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:44 pm

Pool looks ok to me, would like to build something like urs, but a bit scared to start.
Couldn u gife some more details about the pool, rebar, piping, pumps, filters, tiles a.s.o. would be much obliged to have some inside information before contracting a builder, because a pool builder is not available around here, so i have to get the details from the internet or/and ur posts in the forum so i can supervice my housebuilder to build it. As an engeneer i have lots of building and construction experience but never build a pool. dont want to invent the weel again.
sjeng

Postby CDNinKS » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:26 pm

Domino, all will be revealed as we progress.

Sjeng, building a pool is more than just the concrete. You really need to have someone with some experience to do the plumbing and layout. There are so many things to consider and many options. Overflow vs skimmer for example. The location of the pool in relation to prevailing winds, which can affect the efficiency of a skimmer. Who is going to be the primary users of the pool? If it's kids, then an "infinity" or "endless" style of pool is not a good idea.

My advise is to find an experienced pool builder, go check out some of his jobs, talk to the owners and see if they have had any problems. Things like pumps, filters, chlorinators can be changed later if you make a mistake, but a leaking wall or buried pipe is much more serious. Also, even if you hire someone to look after it, pools can be a lot of work, be sure you really want and will use a hole in the ground surrounded by concrete that you pour money into, don't take this decision lightly.
CDNinKS

Postby fredlk » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:51 pm

gliffaes wrote: ..... the pool guy. He is also preparing a qoute for me on the pool I want and then I can see if it matches up to the m2 price of the other pool he was doing at this development.

Did you get the final price on this 7,000 Baht per square metre pool yet?
fredlk

Postby domino » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:36 pm

sjeng , do not get afraid, building a pool is really not difficult,
what i advice everybody , you must go look and check all price material needed, if you are able to know how to do after looking around everywhere you can easy know if a pool builder gives you a quote , it is to much or not..., many things to consider indeed, even the plumbing , connecting pump and filter , they did all under my own supervision, i had only 4 local workers no knowledge at all of pool building ( only home building), i had the knowledge and they had the hands..., so skimmer is usually used for pools i would say maximum 10x5 M , any bigger i would advice overflow.., you can even make semi overflow..., i am talking normal rectangle pool without any jacuzzi areas..., so my pool is 8 years old , never had problems what so ever, also not with pump and filter ( DE)....and i surely did not even pay 7000bath / m2, i am also funny with this calculation not every pool same big with 10x5 , you also must consider the average depth ...., the most expensive in a pool is concrete , iron , tiles , pump & filter, piping is cheap if they connect logic,some double union valves,i have seen many pools with a lot spaghetti connections ,unbelievable, what the best price of a pool? is the one you are confident with , as long as you are happy..
cdn pool looks good, looking forward to see pictures of progress , good luck further :D
domino

Postby sjeng » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:42 am

Domino, that is just what i am thinking, it can not be that difficult, only have to know how to do.
zctualy it is just a waterproof concrete box.
I think its more difficult to keep the water clean and in a good condition.
and the pool, i am going to build by myself anyway, no poolbuilders around here, thanks for chearing me up a bit, and
i did send you a PM
sjeng

PreviousNext

Return to swimming pool