Swimming pool? "how about the price"

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Swimming pool? "how about the price"

Postby CDNinKS » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Almost finished. I should point out that the price I have quoted for this pool does not include the elephant sculpture or stone work on the pump house.
Attachments
Image 3.jpg
Image 2.jpg
CDNinKS

Postby gliffaes » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:38 pm

fredlk wrote:
jazzman wrote:It's absolutely impossible to build a proper pool for Baht 7,000 / m2.

My thoughts exactly and that's why I'm eagerly awaiting any news on the subject.

News update, well , wife phoned him several times but he doesnt want to do anything until we are ready to start building ie its too far in the future for him to comit to a price.
We shall see as come january Ill be needing prices.
gliffaes

Postby Rethaier » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:36 pm

Go Natural???
YOu might consider what has come to be called a "Natural" pool. See http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yo ... -Pool.aspx

It might be a hard ask if one is a control freak and can't stand anything but surgically clean surfaces but you can be assured of the viability of a system that imitates nature.

One key point to consider is the use of NON VERTICAL SIDES.

or use You tube.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMxTDm2WSiE. I understand why they have used some courses of jute/burlap/hessian sandbags - homes for good bacteria and also for keeping soil particles out of the swim zone - but am uncertain as to how long those bags will last, of course replacement after 4- 5 years would not be impossible.

There are 3 reasons water goes bad. I'm defining bad water as water rich in ALGAE. Its unsightly and certain forms can be toxic.
1 Too much Nutrient - Detritus that cannot be cleaned up by bacteria creates a nutrient rich environment, - use a skimmer and be sure nutrient rich run off does not enter your pool
2. Too much Sunlight which promotes the growth of algae,- A shaded area is a great boon to pool usage in LOS.
3. Too little oxygen - Still water results in Oxygen depletion that inhibits bacterial life and promotes algae. - Pool aeration is vital - can be via a waterfall or fountains or through air pumped to the bottom of the pool. Air is MUCH CHEAPER to pump than water - and provides the essential oxygen and delayering of the water that is vital to good water health.

You need 50% of pool area for aquatic life so consider a shape that incorporates a long narrow channel - not necessarily totally straight - leading into a more spacious "normal" square / round area for play. That way you'll maximise "edge" and have a decent length for fitness swimming.

So if you don't mind sharing your pool with friendly wildlife - would like to save quite a lot of money, and create a beautiful visual area this might be for you.

I'd be interested in hearing your reaction to the above
GH
Rethaier

Previous

Return to swimming pool