BYOP

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

semantics on building a pool

Postby dozer » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:12 pm

Look forward to seeing how a pool is done. Attila brings up some good points, if we have been to the moon, certainly a pool is possible! That being said, after the warning of complexity, if I was doing it, aside from learning as much as I could about it first -- I would seek out a contractor who had successfully built a pool before of similar size that I could go check out myself, preferably a couple of years old. I'd be trying to find one that isn't a pool company yet, they gotta be around no? Anyway, appreciate all the info dumps from you guys who have done it or are doing it. May the force (the building force of course) be with you.
dozer
Site Admin

Building a swimming pool

Postby Peter H » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:42 pm

Attila
You got the point. My pool is big and built in a rice field. To build a pool on very solid ground is not such a challenge and if it is smaller than my pool, lets say 4x8x1 m adequate weight distribution can be achieved. 15 cm walls and floors will do if enough steel is added. Some space should be left to fill CPAC. And sprinkling water on the concrete for 3 weeks avoids cracks. Joining pipes carefully and taking time to do that is something lots of local builders can not do. Supervision is needed 8 hours per day. For a very small pool only one 1.5 HP pump for 300 liter/min supply and 1 sandfilter needed, which makes pipe design much easier. Can use 3 inch pipes around pump and filter and 4 inch for water delivery to/from the pool.
Attila
I believe you can do it , you have an accumulated expertise in building.
Can learn everyday
Peter H

Re: Do not build a pool yourself

Postby cruzing » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:57 pm

[quote="Peter H"]Never build a pool yourself unless its a pond of 3x6m and 80 cm deep
First off, pond building doesn't compare with pool building. Pond building is way simple. Just depends on what kind you want a fancy shallow lined pond, tiled pond, or just a big fishpond.

CPAC concrete casted in one day is the solution.
How do they do this? In the states they blow on gunite to build up the walls of the pool; but when there done you have the final surface of your pool, no liner needed. Haven't even heard of gunite here.

PS: a 5x10 meter fiberglass pool incl pump and filter is already available for THB 300,000
What pool supplier has this size pool for this price?? anywhere near Pattaya?

Cruzing
cruzing

Re: Building a swimming pool

Postby Attila » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:07 am

Peter H wrote:Attila
You got the point. My pool is big and built in a rice field. To build a pool on very solid ground is not such a challenge and if it is smaller than my pool, lets say 4x8x1 m adequate weight distribution can be achieved. 15 cm walls and floors will do if enough steel is added. Some space should be left to fill CPAC. And sprinkling water on the concrete for 3 weeks avoids cracks. Joining pipes carefully and taking time to do that is something lots of local builders can not do. Supervision is needed 8 hours per day. For a very small pool only one 1.5 HP pump for 300 liter/min supply and 1 sandfilter needed, which makes pipe design much easier. Can use 3 inch pipes around pump and filter and 4 inch for water delivery to/from the pool.

Aaah, yes, this is the advice needed! Even if not building yourself, these are important points to watch if a company builds it for you! Not every swimming pool specialized company is good, and understanding this will help to choose the better ones, or to do some damage control in case you picked the wrong ones.

I have seen also that CPAC offers also watertight concrete. Is that the one used in your pool, or the one which should get used?

And keeping the concrete wet for some time seems to be a good point not only for swimming pools, but for all concrete work involving bigger amounts of concrete. This is one of the points I got into my head because of this thread :)

Peter H wrote:Attila
I believe you can do it , you have an accumulated expertise in building.

But I know that I still know not much. Surely not enough :wink: However as you say it in your signature: "Can learn everyday"

More important for me was just to point out here that despite the warnings whoever reads this should not get discouraged too much. Of course it should not expected to be easy, but requiring some effort to do it right.

And as Limey did correctly point out in one of his early posts, many will not want to invest enough time and effort to learn how to do it.

Others want to learn, and are ready for it, and this site is for them, thanks to all your contributions :)
Attila

pooools

Postby robinT » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:02 am

I am pleased to see this topic started

I certainly have heard of gunnite, it was the main methiod of construction for domestic pools in RSA

I am surprised at the cost

but ive never built a pool

incidentaly that link for buildyourownpool.com is broken, anyone got any of the files downloaded to share on this forum. It often happens when you quote a source like this, the site owner gets pee'd about it and breaks his link

good stuff :wink:
robinT

Re: pooools

Postby Boon Mee » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:58 pm

robinT wrote:I am pleased to see this topic started

incidentaly that link for buildyourownpool.com is broken, anyone got any of the files downloaded to share on this forum. It often happens when you quote a source like this, the site owner gets pee'd about it and breaks his link

good stuff :wink:

Try this Robin.
Boon Mee

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:29 pm

Heres one I built last year, Its 2 meters deep at the deepend, due to the ground conditions we done footings of 1.5 meters wide, 3.5 meters deep, these were spaced just under 2 meters apart, we used the concrete rings as a form, the footings were 280 spec cpac, one day pour, the walls 320 spec one day pour, double lined with 16mm rebar.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:11 pm

cruzing
CPAC
We used CPAC watertight concrete delivered 4 ton per truck. They use 20 meter long pipes reaching 10 meter up to provide enough pressure. With this method no air bubbles will be left in the concrete. Besides this they insert vibration nozzles in the casted concrete for compacting.

Fiberglass pools
I evaluated this style first, but they limit the size to about 5x10 m and 1.20 meter deep. Very reliable and easy to repair if something should happen. Broken water pipes and poolights etc can be accessed from the outside. A steel construction carries the fiberglass walls and floor. The pooldeck sits on top of the steel construction. Pre-assembled delivery. Often used in the States.
Suppliers are Fort Wayne Pools US.
http://www.fwpools.com
http://www.surfthepool.com
BLT Bangkok

Postby Peter H » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:29 pm

Anonymous wrote:cruzing
CPAC
We used CPAC watertight concrete delivered 4 ton per truck. They use 20 meter long pipes reaching 10 meter up to provide enough pressure. With this method no air bubbles will be left in the concrete. Besides this they insert vibration nozzles in the casted concrete for compacting.

Fiberglass pools
I evaluated this style first, but they limit the size to about 5x10 m and 1.20 meter deep. Very reliable and easy to repair if something should happen. Broken water pipes and poolights etc can be accessed from the outside. A steel construction carries the fiberglass walls and floor. The pooldeck sits on top of the steel construction. Pre-assembled delivery. Often used in the States.
Suppliers are Fort Wayne Pools US.
http://www.fwpools.com
http://www.surfthepool.com
BLT Bangkok

The above is from Peter H
PS: According to the distributor in Bangkok people in the States move fiberglass pools to new homes. No need to buy a new pool :( when you move to a new place, take your pool along :) .
Peter H
Can learn everyday
Peter H

Warranty

Postby Attila » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:50 pm

Fort Wayne Pools, Inc., warrants that its structural polymer panels will not split, break, rip, corrode, mildew, rust or tear apart beyond use for as long as they are owned by the original retail purchaser, and a properly registered second owner.

Now that does sound not bad.

Is such a pool available here and for how much?
Attila

Postby Boon Mee » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:50 pm

Anonymous wrote:Heres one I built last year, Its 2 meters deep at the deepend, due to the ground conditions we done footings of 1.5 meters wide, 3.5 meters deep, these were spaced just under 2 meters apart, we used the concrete rings as a form, the footings were 280 spec cpac, one day pour, the walls 320 spec one day pour, double lined with 16mm rebar.

Thanks for posting these pics. That marble looks really nice. Were your ground conditions like former rice paddy and what was width/length?
Did you shoot 'gunnite' behind the marble or cpac cement?
Not sure there's much of a difference here between the two.
Last question: What was the total bill for that pool?

Cheers,

Boon Mee
Boon Mee

Re: Warranty

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:57 pm

Attila wrote:
Fort Wayne Pools, Inc., warrants that its structural polymer panels will not split, break, rip, corrode, mildew, rust or tear apart beyond use for as long as they are owned by the original retail purchaser, and a properly registered second owner.

These pools are available in a a great selection of fancy styles. You can also add new styles anytime. Prices used to start at THB 300,000 3 years ago because imported. I believe they are now much cheaper. BLT Bangkok was the distributor 3 years ago.

Re: Warranty

Postby Peter H » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:10 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Attila wrote:

These pools are available in a a great selection of fancy styles. You can also add new styles anytime. Prices used to start at THB 300,000 3 years ago because imported. I believe they are now much cheaper. BLT Bangkok was the distributor 3 years ago.

Atttila
I think Pool and Spa, Pattaya and Poolking, Pattaya have also fiberglass pools.
Can learn everyday
Peter H

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:42 am

Boon Mee wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Heres one I built last year, Its 2 meters deep at the deepend, due to the ground conditions we done footings of 1.5 meters wide, 3.5 meters deep, these were spaced just under 2 meters apart, we used the concrete rings as a form, the footings were 280 spec cpac, one day pour, the walls 320 spec one day pour, double lined with 16mm rebar.

Thanks for posting these pics. That marble looks really nice. Were your ground conditions like former rice paddy and what was width/length?
Did you shoot 'gunnite' behind the marble or cpac cement?
Not sure there's much of a difference here between the two.
Last question: What was the total bill for that pool?

Cheers,

Boon Mee

The pool is about 12 meters at it's longest point, the ground wasn't too bad although we were 2 meters plus below the water table, so every morning the hole had to be pumped out, as the road had no street drainage I had to rent water lorries to pump the water into,as the pool was just a small part of the main job i'm not really sure of the cost, but I would say that about 15k baht per sq met wouldn't be a bad guess, although the other pools in that estate are raised and very shallow due to the problems with the water table.

Postby udon » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:50 pm

udon

PreviousNext

Return to swimming pool