building a swimming pool in udon thani

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

building a swimming pool in udon thani

Postby geonoise » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:10 am

Hi,

I am planning to build a swimming pool here in Udon Thani from around 12 - 5 meters.

Does anybody know any local swimming pool builders in Udon Thani or would I be better of to buy a prefab pool from Bangkok ?

Any advice welcome.

I think building a 'traditional' swimming pool (dig a hole, make a concrete wall, tile it) would be the cheapest solution ?

Thanks in advance,

Michel
geonoise

a concrete, tiled pool is almost always the nicest solution

Postby jazzman » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:56 am

Read this posting first:
http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=645
Your size is very vaguely mentioned, are these dimensions the length or the width? What you need to know is its length, width and depth then you get the cubic capacity which is the criterion for a rough construction cost calculation, and to calculate the capacity (hence cost) of the pump and filter - they will be a MAJOR investment.

I am building a concrete, in-ground pool which is 4m x 10m x average depth 1m. This is freally the minimum size for a domestic pool which you can actually swim in!
Total cost (by designing it myself according to all the rules, and using local labour, family and friends): including the plumbing, pumping, filtrations and a saltwater-chlorinator, tiles, etc., about 300,000 - 350,000 baht. I was quoted 880,000 by a pool company for the same job, so you can easily see what kind of a profit margin they work on when dealing with farangs.

I've built a couple of pools before, so I already had an idea of what was involved.

Hire of a backhoe with driver for the two hours (which is all it takes) can cost anything from 2,000 to 10,000 baht, but certainly not 60,000 like some of the ridiculous quotes which have been made to farangs in th Udon Thani city area.

It is possible to bring a pump and filter back from Australia in check-in baggage, probably over two trips. Even if you have to pay a little excess baggage - it will still cost roughly half the price of buying it in Thailand.

Have you finished your pool yet? How did the work go?

Jazzman
jazzman

Return to swimming pool