Re-size a pool

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re-size a pool

Postby Tomaway » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:41 pm

Hi all,

With my wife we found the almost perfect house: location, price, land,....

The only problem is the size of the pool being 6m x 3m.

My question is: is it possible to modify the length of a pool, to add 4m, or do we have to build a new one from scratch?

Regards,

Tom
Tomaway

Re: Re-size a pool

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:35 pm

Tomaway wrote:Hi all,

With my wife we found the almost perfect house: location, price, land,....

The only problem is the size of the pool being 6m x 3m.

My question is: is it possible to modify the length of a pool, to add 4m, or do we have to build a new one from scratch?

Regards,

Tom

I'm no expert but I think you will have to build new, it will be extremely difficult to waterproof an extension.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Klondyke » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:24 pm

6 m is surely not enough if you want to swim a long track for your health. I had before 10 m and was not happy with that, now with 12 m it is just OK for my daily 1 km.

If you can break one of the shorter walls, why not to prolong it? There are ways how to make a good connection, depends on the existing material and the new one. In a worst case you can provide new re-tiling of the entire volume.

If you look on my tread, perhaps you can get some ideas how to make an easy and affordable swimming pool, easy also for maintenance: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4736

If you have questions don't hesitate to ask.
Klondyke

Postby Tomaway » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:02 am

Thanks both for your replies.

6m is definitely too short and just look ridiculous compare to the size of the land....

Once the villa will be in our name, I will try to find a pool Guru and see if he is confident with modifying the structure.

Otherwise I guess we will have to save some money and built a new one.

Cheers,
tom
Tomaway

Postby Klondyke » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:32 pm

Similar size and style as mine is just being built by a friend, it should not cost him more than 150k.

So, if you prolong the excavation and manage the job by yourself, i.e. you buy the material and hire village workers for the partial works under your instructions and supervizing it should not cost you more than 100k.

If you will engage "a pool Guru" I am afraid that you will have to ask your financial manager for preparing 10 times more. :)
Klondyke

Postby jazzman » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:42 pm

Klondyke wrote: If you will engage "a pool Guru" I am afraid that you will have to ask your financial manager for preparing 10 times more. :)

What you are probably forgetting is that a genuine pool company has staff, offices, other infrastructure, and pays taxes. But you first have to find a genuine trustworthy company.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to swimming pool