New pool DIM

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: New pool DIM

Postby jazzman » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:31 pm

Weber DryTex (http://www.weberthai.com/en/waterproofing-products/products/waterproofing-products/weberdry-tex.html) is, as far as I know, the only product available on the market in Thailand that is specifically designed for post-waterproofing of concrete pools and tanks. But it's expensive. Sold in most Global House, DoHome, Thai Warsadu, etc.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby olavhome » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:36 pm

When discussing pro and contras about swimming pools, many who oppose talk about the pollution, spesially from burning of sugar and a lot of work
keeping the pools clean.
However, find that pool covers exist and seems more or less common.
But have not seen in Thailand or discussed on this forum.
Not common here or :?: :?:
If sold here, does anybody have price estimate :?: (Guess stupid questions - guess many models and qualities :oops: )
poolcover.jpg

poolcover2.jpg
olavhome

Postby jazzman » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi. Unfortunately it's probably not here that you're going to get the answer tomthat question. I've been a fairly close observer of the pool industry in Thailand for nearly 20 years and still never come across a supplier. Perhaps you should contact the pool firms direct, but even there you might get some confusing answers.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby olavhome » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:08 pm

Thanks. :D
Afraid of that answer because have never seen also myself :?
Strange however since, downfall from sugar burning must be a problem for pool owners all over the Kingdom.
Your posts is a great help for me and surely others anyway :D
Maybe pool covers be business idea for someone :D
olavhome

Postby jazzman » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:26 am

One of the reasons why pool covers are not popular in Thailand is that they tend to heat the already warm water, turning it into an algae and bacteria farm. The soot from the sugar plantations is a well known scourge for pool owners. The only thing that really helps is to build an overflow pool. But that has to be thought of before construction begins.
jazzman

Postby olavhome » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:25 pm

Ok, understand.
Luck for us that Our will be overflow :-) :-)
olavhome

Postby faranginkorat » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:38 am

I expect you have by now poured your concrete pool already?
If not, i poured the 20 cm thick Base and walls for my pool using proper genuine CPAC 240 steng WP (waterproof) concrete. The floor was cast first, with an 8" Waterstop rubber seal around the perimeter to later seal inside the pool walls when poured. The outer form of the above ground pool was made from 9cm thick cement blocks, each one wired to the next with 6mm rear loops. We knocked out the closed sides of all the blocks prior to use, so that we could back fill each one with cement. After the first 4 rows were laid, we cast a 20cm deep concrete beam reinforced with 12mm rear, before laying the final 2 rows of blocks
The walls were then made ready by using rented steel shuttering and very heavily braced, ready for pouring the walls.
We hired a crane and bucket for the day of the pour, and had 3 CPAC mixer trucks arrive on standby and with a team of workers we poured the walls in a contiguous pour, arranging our pour so we finally joined up "wet to wet" I personally supervised the pour, and vibrated the concrete as it was poured. It is essential not to over vibrate as the aggregate will all tend to fall to the bottom, and also the vibrating puts a he'll of a strain on the shuttering and bracing supports, the concrete trying to force open the shuttering as it liquifies with vibration.
After the concrete was cured properly, my local tile store in Korat where I had ordered all my pool tiles and Webber pool adhesives offered to have 2 Thai Webber employees visit our home to inspect the pool casting, and advise our tilers on using Webber products.. All foc..!!
They duly arrived and we're fantastic. They came armed with the excellent Webber brochure in English and Thai with loads of great Device and products information. They recommended we render our pool with Webber Tilefix mixed with Webber liquid waterproofing agent to form a good Base to later affix the mosaic ceramics using Webber Gres tile adhesive, recommended for all pools. Finally we finished the job with Webber Tile grout for swimming pools. (not the Epoxy fix and grout version, which is much more expensive and more difficult to use)
The pool is now 8 years old, has never leaked, lost a single ceramic or given any problems whatsoever. It still looks and works as good as new.
Please let me know if you need more information.
faranginkorat

Didn't do much DIM the last 3 months

Postby Rdteth » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:22 pm

I'm back. Alive but not kicking too hard.

First a picture. The question - which has no price to be won - is. Find the differences with the last picture.

20160714_100156.jpg
As per half july 2016

Clearly I haven't been at it at all. Just finished the beamwalls so the rain could fall without causing too much trouble.
Then it got too hot for 1 month. Then I got serious problems with my hands (knucles) and elbows. Worn out joints.
Then I got entangled in a load of visa BS. Trust me EVERYBODY can loose his extension (or visa). You ask how? In my case I applied for a new passport at the embassy. They cancelled my passport right there. A month later they decided that I wouldn't get a new one. So you solve it. Can't leave without passport, can you. Well in overstay you can. And you can leave then, and you can book a return ticket and come back the next day. Without visa ofcourse. Well, now here with a non-O- , received it yesterday- the last day of my exempt entry. Hands feel better also, guess good to go, but..

So, faranginkorat, your info is much appreciated. I saw some pictures in another thread too. Looks solid.

The damage to the pool is none, a little dirt went in the beams. Should have put a extra layer of bricks.
The rain done it's work. The dirt has gone down substantial. Now, after no rain for only 3 days the toplayer is as hard as concrete again. None of the brickwork is broken.

I will continue soon, after I fixed a leaking roof and have a floor and roof in the the new to make motobikeshed that also will serve as generatorhouse. Tomorrow planning is to pour the floor, only about 18sqm.

At the pool I will start making the walls a little higher, about 2 blocks (the not deep side) followed by a concrete "tap laang" to equalize any hight differences that occured. Then finish the blinding.

And then I would like the rest to be made by other people, and I'll be just sitting in the shadow, watching the ice cubes slowly melting in my gin-tonics with one eye and the other watching the pool become a pool. Now just need to find those people. Suggestions can be mailed to me.

Good holidays.

Rene
Rdteth

Postby olavhome » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:50 am

Did make the cement for the pool floor yesterday.
Steng 280
Innstalled rubber
Will come back With pics later.
olavhome

Postby brianks » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:44 am

I am finding it difficult to comprehend what I am reading here. The best advise I had from a pool mfg. was to get a set of detailed construction plans for the project. He arranged for a set for me and with my knowledge gained from observing the construction of many (20-30) pools around me in Hua Hin and was even able to figure the plans out. I now live in Khanom which is on the mainland from Koh Samui where we have no pool contractors or suppliers. My home builder wanted to build the pool (with no pool building experience) and I let him but had to hold his hand through the process because he did not understand many things that were on the plans. Not understand the 30cm layers of cement on the floor and not allowing for form wall thickness in digging length of pool. We struggled through the process and actually completed the pool seemingly in good order. Been completed now for 2.5 years and no problems yet.

Things I would do differently: 1. put NO lights in pool. Mine died in a few months and getting them repaired or replaced has been futile. Have since put some 30w LED spots on the wall by the pool and they are far better at lighting up the pool and surrounding area than the lights in the pool were.
2. Dig in ground properly and for length also add another meter. My pool is 4m x 14m (really 13.7m).
3. Shallow end of pool is 1m deep and extends for 2m but would possibly extend for 3m because the neighbor and friends kids all play in this area. Pool slopes to 1.5m after that and 1m deep does not inhibit my morning swim.

Good luck with your project as I can see from your pictures you having a lot of fun. Oh, and last recommendation: Pentair Intellaflow varriable speed pump. A real power saver and very quiet. Costly but payback in power savings is less than 2 years.

Have fun.
brianks

Update 21 aug 2016

Postby Rdteth » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:42 pm

Back in business.
I don't know why they call it raining season, but the clouds are wonderful. Can get some real work done.
So, 3 sides are ready for the tap laang, a small concrete and steel reinforced beam in the walls.
Today placed almost 50 blocks, a new record which also will not be broken due to i'm running out of them. Need about another 60 and thats what i got left.
Today lasered the outline (you can see the laser in the picture) and to my surprise all height are within 3 cm, what is unexpected due to not using anything, not even a line - only a 40cm waterlevel, when putting up all these blocks.
So I congratulate myself and am off to the G&T's.

Brianks thanks for your input. I was more or less already convinced about the variable speed pump. But now I guess I will forget about putting in lights as well. No lights means no electricity around the pool, no earthings, no safety automats and things. Keep it simple.

Next week I'll be seeing an old friend who also owns a constructioncompany and builds pools. See what comes from there.

For now, good luck to all and untill a next message. Keep your input coming, especially about gutters now.

Regards Rene
Attachments
20160821_181308.jpg
As per 210816
Rdteth

Statusreport 30okt16

Postby Rdteth » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:09 pm

It's been a good time for do some work these last couple of months. Not hot, moderate rain.
So I could spend some time building. My (big)bike parking shed now has 40m2 concretefloor and a huge roof. Finishing off as we speak.
The pool has gotten as far as I wanted to do myself. Some 6 weeks ago already. The rain settled the backfilling quite good also.
Met with about 4 contractors, none of whom could convince me to finish the pool in a good manner or they wanted to get rich quickly. Finally this week another contractor - for civil works- came by and he does know what needs to be done and more importantly, how to do it. So next month -starting tuesday- I hope to get the concreting of floor and walls being done. Cross my fingers.
As usual I will keep you informed.
For now, enjoy the drinks and chook dii.

Regards Rene
Attachments
20160923_061831.jpg
As it was on september 23th
20161030_070637.jpg
As it is now
Rdteth

Status on dec 1st

Postby Rdteth » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:05 pm

Time for an update.

Things have been moving. A contractor has come along and he - better said his team- can do rebar and concrete pouring. So I gave him a chance since it is too much to do by myself. Lucky for him I had already bought a rebarcutter and a rebar bender, so no need for the noisy electric cutters or the usual piece of wood with nails in it. Tip to you all: if a contractor has no proper tools kick him off the first day. That being said they worked really hard -some days- with between 3 and 10 people. The extreme inefficiency showed me the lack of knowledge how to organize a job like this. But I let them go, checking every single bond and distance from steel to concrete etc. In the back of my head I kept saying: it is only rebar, you can add, edit, change or even take it out. So I shut up, not usual for me and let them correct and correct and correct everything I didn't like. And the job came to end after some 3 weeks (a 1 week job with 5 people). But when he started talking about concreting the floor I kindly told him that he could not convince me that he can do that job. I mean, can't edit or change or take out the concrete. So he quit. Ok, next.
In the meantime while looking for a crane we met some interesting people and managed to get a decent 10ton, 4 wheel crane and a specialized concreting team. They could convince me to do the job. So said, so hired. Postpone 2 times due to possible rain, finally had a go last monday. Cpac took care of the concrete. A 280 waterproofing, 12 cm slump.
The workers -all cambodians except the "management"- showed up 2 hours late, but hey at least they showed up and cpac didn't complain about the waiting. They knew their jobs. They poured, they vibrated, they levelled and whatever more. 9.30 pm the job finished, leaving me with exactly 30m3 concrete in the backyard, exactly where I wanted it. They had scratched the floor for tiling already and were so kind to put the -wetted -ricebags on the floor.

Anything interesting happened? Yes can say so.
This is thailand right. So if you need someting now or in the future , say maybe in 1 year, what you do? When you see it, you buy it because you when you really need it, it will be gone. So in january I was in hwhouse getting a jackhammer and saw waterstop 8 inch 2 pum. Good price so I instantly bought 2 20m rolls. Now 15-th november the big day arrived for them to be unpacked and do what they are supposed to do. So I unrolled them and this is what I got to see.
20161115_093715.jpg
This is what I got to see

Also shorter about 1.5 m.
On the phone with hardwhouse. The usual stuff. Falang baa for coming after almost one year. Ok give me management. Send email with pictures. Show bill when bought. Bla bla bla. In the end they refunded my money. Bad point only they didn't have the 8 inch 2 pum so I went for the 9 inch 3 pum and had to add the pricedifference. Thats why you buy when you can hold it. My opinion. Hwarehouse scored decent points. I would never take anything back after 1 year. Well done hardwarehouse.

Rain and rain and rain.
My wife is a very good friend with the (wife off and the) guy (pee lek ) who is in charge at the weather radar station in mae rumphung beach, about 4 km from here. So daily contact with him about (possible) rain. Finally everything ok, only 10% chance of rain, then cpac cancelled due to their queue. Ok. It was my lucky day because it poured at 2 pm.
Pee lek guaranteed on sunday before he got drunk, it was the wifes birthdayparty: no rain on monday.
So monday it was. And he was absolutely right. We had no drop. No, you had to travel a full 5 km to get soaked to the bone. Hey, we didn't get a drop so he was right. Kopkhun maak pee lek. (PS no more rain at all since friday)

Now, keeping it all wet. Easy job. Fill the deepend with 10 cm water -2000 liter- then use an aquarium pump to bring it to the high end. That end must be amazingly flat because it gets wet everywhere in the pool. Well done cambodia(ns).

Now the difficult part starts. The walls and the included gutter.
I need some advice.
In every pool you see that when putting up the formwork there is wood in the middle of the floor to support the formwork.
How do you connect this wood to the floor? If you say: just use concrete nails then also tell me how to hammer them into the concrete. I tried that on several occasions without any success. So how you fix the wood?

PS: having people to work is much more exhausting than doing it yourself. No time for the G&T (gin tonics).

Some more pictures right here.

For now I have no more crew, but I will continue (sloooooowly) on my own and see how to do the gutter and wall rebar. I can use the same concreting team again when needed - with crane.

Ok, drive carefully, have a nice X-mas and a good newyear. See you again, and hope some replies to my question.

Chook dii
Rene
Attachments
20161129_152951.jpg
And now we have this
1480481441234.jpg
A cambodian artist in action
20161118_170502.jpg
Rebar floor done more or less anyway
Rdteth

Postby Rdteth » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:18 pm

To olavhome.

Waiting for your pictures..........

Regards Rene
Rdteth

Re: Status on dec 1st

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:05 pm

Rdteth wrote:Now the difficult part starts. The walls and the included gutter.
I need some advice.
In every pool you see that when putting up the formwork there is wood in the middle of the floor to support the formwork.
How do you connect this wood to the floor? If you say: just use concrete nails then also tell me how to hammer them into the concrete. I tried that on several occasions without any success. So how you fix the wood?

Well concrete nails do work and our crew used quite a lot of them, also into a CPac floor. However they also used rebar wedged into holes drilled into the concrete when the items they were fixing down were too big.

Here is an example

IMG_9608.JPG

There are a couple more pictures at http://bit.ly/22h84MT in the January album
Sometimewoodworker

PreviousNext

Return to swimming pool