To Grout Or Not To Grout, That Is The Question....

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

To Grout Or Not To Grout, That Is The Question....

Postby Greenside » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:21 pm

The lip of our pool is going to be sandwashed and we have bought some nice looking non slip tiles for the deck which surrounds it on all sides. Simple question: I think the tiles would look better laid with 3mm gaps and grout but it just occurred to me that the pool water may affect it adversely in some way. I was going to use Crocodile Premium Tile Grout.

Grout it or not?
Greenside

Re: To Grout Or Not To Grout, That Is The Question....

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:42 pm

That seems to be all a matter of preference, perhaps Jazzman would be the best man to answer the question of what effect the Pool water will have on it. Just be glad that your pool is not in Oz , the regulations that they are dreaming up (With fees of course) is really getting beyond a joke. The latest that came into effect this month, is that all Pools ,outside Spas that hold more than 300m.m. of water have to be registered with your local council. Council inspections if and when required 1st time $150 and then $100 max after. This is all in addition to childproof gates and fences which have been mandatory for years now, the wall or walls of the house cannot take the place of a fence if it has a opening window in it. Now all this is great, except none of this applies to Dams ,rivers or fish ponds on ones property, or even as some house holds with harbour side properties have to fence their pool when a few metres away they have a sea wall dropping into water well over the drowning limit. Nanny State?
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:58 pm

Greenside,
There is a special grout they use on pools, I have some left I'll look and see what it is tomorrow.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Greenside » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:06 am

Many thanks.
Greenside

Postby pattayapope » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:34 pm

Greenside wrote:There is a special grout they use on pools, I have some left

RR is the pool finished then :roll:
pattayapope

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:56 pm

Here's the stuff they used on the tiles: http://www.laticrete.com/contractors/pr ... routs.aspx The difference is that it's epoxy based, not concrete based. You must use epoxy based grout for pools.

pattayapope wrote:RR is the pool finished then

Gees PP give the company time.... their last excuse was they have to wait for the pump....the time before that they didn't answer the phone and the time before that they were up country.
It will be done, it just hasn't peeved me off enough yet... maybe when it gets hotter. :D :D
Roger Ramjet

Postby pattayapope » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:18 pm

RR maybe I should re phrase it, is the tileing finished, its been so long I can't remember if it was done or not. :D
pattayapope

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:12 pm

PP
pattayapope wrote:is the tileing finished,

Where are the moderators??? Offensive post. Of course the bloody tilings finished. :D :D
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:23 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:PP
pattayapope wrote:is the tileing finished,

Where are the moderators??? Offensive post. Of course the bloody tilings finished. :D :D

Call the moderators indeed, just what is this tilings anyway. :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby pattayapope » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Yes I am getting old and forgetfull the tileing was finished over 18 months ago RR, looks nice by the way :D
pattayapope

Postby jazzman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:53 pm

Use Crocodile Platinum special grout for pools or Weber special grout for pools. Both are expensive, Weber is very expensive. Some pool constructors short cut on it and use standard grout, or don't even know it exists.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby jazzman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Gees PP give the company time.... their last excuse was they have to wait for the pump....the time before that they didn't answer the phone and the time before that they were up country.
It will be done, it just hasn't peeved me off enough yet... maybe when it gets hotter. :D :D[/quote]

All quality, branded pumps are in stock in Thailand and any bona fide pool constructor who has a trade account with the importer or a supplier to the trade should be able to get them delivered within about 48 hours. If they can't do it, buy one yourself direct online and you'll probably even get it cheaper, and with a genuine guarantee.

Any genuine pool constructor will always have someone in his office to take calls. Time to start thinking if he's got everything else right.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:55 am

jazzman wrote:Any genuine pool constructor will always have someone in his office to take calls. Time to start thinking if he's got everything else right.

I am thinking right now and everyone is correct in their advise. It's time to start getting peeved.
Roger Ramjet

Return to swimming pool