Variable/Dual Speed Pumps + Single or 3phase?

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Variable/Dual Speed Pumps + Single or 3phase?

Postby Greenside » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:38 pm

Our pool sub-contractor asked if he could change from the Astral pump in the original spec to a Kripsol Koral-KS. This got me researching and, although I didn't find any negative information about the Koral unit, it did get me focussed more on running costs that I have been up to now.

The pool is 45m³ including a spa in one corner that overflows into the main area. The pump room is about 9m away from the pool and attached to the house in a room with extra insulation in the walls. The usage (total guess) may be 2-3 adults for say 45 mins a day each. Both pumps proposed are 1.5HP single phase and I expect to have to run the filter 6 or 7 hours a day.

It looks to me as if 3 phase is worthwhile (we have it) but I'm told that only larger pumps are available in Thailand. True? Can they be ordered specially without too much headache?

Astral has a dual speed 1.5HP pump which claims good energy savings - has anyone got experience of it? I like the idea of the possible reduction in sound level almost as much as the cost saving.

Kripsol seems to be a well known supplier in Europe - anyone got any experience of their products?

I understand that using a better filter medium than sand will help but would welcome any other suggestions for keeping the power consumption under control.

Thanks as ever.
Greenside

Re: Variable/Dual Speed Pumps + Single or 3phase?

Postby jazzman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:00 am

I've answered this at length this morning in another section where you posted the same message. if you can't find it, please check my recent posts.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Re: Variable/Dual Speed Pumps + Single or 3phase?

Postby Greenside » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:55 am

Found it. Thanks for the detailed reply!
Greenside

Return to swimming pool