infinity edge swimming pool

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

infinity edge swimming pool

Postby fredlk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:53 am

A question. I know a bit about the surge tank capacity needed and the like, but nowhere on the internet do I see mentioned the difference in height between the infinity edge itself and the rest of the pool. I figure that it should be about 20 centimetres, but could it be less? Any water movement won't affect the non-infinity edge. 5 centimetres, 10 centimetres, 20 centimetres? Anyone have the answer?
fredlk

Re: infinity edge swimming pool

Postby pattayapope » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:34 pm

Fred if you want the water to be up to the rest of the deck area it is not a problem as a gutter can be run around the edge of the none infinity edge(s) of the pool and this is covered with plastic grating. Water from here is diverted back to the surge tank. This is the way I have mine and I beleave the technical term is over flow pool[*] :roll:
pattayapope

Postby fredlk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:42 pm

pattayapope wrote: a gutter can be run around the edge of the none infinity edge(s) of the pool and this is covered with plastic grating.

I will have the same grating between the patio floor and 2 sides of the pool but it will lead to a drain for (dirty) water from the patio and rain coming off the roof. I want to keep the surge tank / overflow catchment separate and on the other sides.
fredlk

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:11 pm

I could be wrong here, but it sounds as if you are going to have a "Partial Infinity Pool" with two sides higher to separate ground and roof water from the pool overflow, which happens all of the time the pool is in use with the two other sides being near level ,or at least one has to spill over.
Mike Judd

Postby fredlk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:09 pm

Mike Judd wrote: it sounds as if you are going to have a "Partial Infinity Pool" with two sides higher to separate ground and roof water from the pool overflow

It's also called Vanishing Edge. Pattayapope's pool has all sides feeding into the surge tank while mine will have one side higher where it connects to the house and patio and the rest as vanishing edge:
Screen Shot 2013-06-25 at Tuesday - 25 Jun 2013 - 15.06.05 .png
fredlk

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:39 pm

It's also called Vanishing Edge. Pattayapope's pool has all sides feeding into the surge tank while mine will have one side higher where it connects to the house and patio and the rest as vanishing edge:
That's the name I was looking for thanks.! I was thinking of doing the same if I got around to putting a pool inside the U of my house. With the edge being at the open end of the U. Looks nice with the spill over waterfall effect that I have seen .
Mike Judd

Postby fredlk » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:22 am

fredlk wrote: the difference in height between the infinity edge itself and the rest of the pool.

Seeing as nobody else has the answer, I'm going with 10 centimetres.
fredlk

Postby jazzman » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:30 pm

That's about right. Most skimmers, for example, are designed to operate with the water level halfway up the throat, which generally is then 11.5 cm down from the deck. Which means 10 cm for the infinity edge would be enough to take care of any displacement from a lot of people all jumping in the pool at the same time.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby fredlk » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:49 pm

jazzman wrote:That's about right. Most skimmers, for example, are designed to operate with the water level halfway up the throat, which generally is then 11.5 cm down from the deck. Which means 10 cm for the infinity edge would be enough to take care of any displacement from a lot of people all jumping in the pool at the same time.

Thanks for the input. However it will only be skinny little me and 2 tiny dogs doing any jumping. The rest will be banned for life.
fredlk

Postby Rdteth » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:49 pm

The infinity edge 10 cm below deck and gutter level.
So when the pump is off, the waterlevel in the pool is 10 cm down compared to decklevel.
How much water do you need to pump to get the waterlevel to decklevel? Assuming nobody swimming.
It takes 5m3 to fill the pool (a 10m by 5 m pool) to decklevel if the infinity wall was not there. So how much will flow out the pool when the 10 cm is filled with water?
I can't calculate that.
I did read on a wikipage that the infinity wall should be 1.6 mm to 5 mm.
What to do? I would like to have such wall. Pls inform me.

Regards
Rene
Rdteth

Postby jazzman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:59 pm

You never can get the water up to deck level. It will always cascade over the infinity edge faster than you can pump water into the pool. An infinity edge pool and an 'overflow'' pool are not quite the same thing. In an 'overflow' configuration, the water is always flush to deck and goes into the gutter that goes all the way round the pool.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby Rdteth » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:11 pm

Thanks,
I realized that it's (almost) impossible to fill it with a 10 cm gap.
That's why the wiki few mm seemed a possibility to have an overflow pool with 1 infinity wall.
The few mm would be possible to pump into the pool. Your pumps output then gives the lowering of the inf. Wall
So in an infinity pool then inf. Wall acts as a very big skimmer.
Tough choice than to make.
Regards
Rene
Rdteth

Postby jazzman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:30 am

That is correct - an infinity edge is indeed practically just a very large skimmer. In some cases, its gutter or trench serves as a balance tank as in an overflow pool configration.
jazzman

Postby olavhome » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:00 pm

Reading your reply Jazzman; that mean if you have drain all around the pool, you dont need the balance tank since water can stay in the drain until pumped back to the pool ?
Is 10 cm wide and 20 deep enough for a pool 6X4 in Your opinion :?:
olavhome

Postby jazzman » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:31 pm

Only in the case of a very large and deep gutter trench . A balance tank should have a capacity of the equivalent of 10% of the pool volume. A standard gutter all round a 10 x 4 pool for example, would provide a capacity of only 1.7 m3 instead of the required 4.4 m3. It would run dry - not to mention the loss by evaporation.
jazzman

Return to swimming pool