Above ground Koi pond

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Above ground Koi pond

Postby planemad » Fri May 10, 2013 10:47 am

Hi guys,

I am looking for some help/advice please. I am shortly going to build a raised Koi pond with an aviary as a backdrop. I want to use a 10 M X 4 M plinth as the base with the pond running the full 10 M width and using 2 M of the depth. That will give me 2 rectangles 10 X 2 of which I want the front rectangle to be the Koi pond. I only want to build it to a maximum of 90 cm high but I want to make the pond wall double thickness with concrete infill.

My question is really how much preparation do I need for the base, I am looking at about a 20 CM double or treble layered concrete/rebar matrix. Is this enough? Bearing in mind, the total weight of water should me no more than about 17 tonnes, do I need to tie the base to the walls?

Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

KS
planemad

Re: Above ground Koi pond

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri May 10, 2013 11:52 am

planemad wrote:should me no more than about 17 tonnes, do I need to tie the base to the walls?

Even for that area the answer is yes, the base needs to be tied into the walls. Don't forget that water not only pushes downwards, it also pushes outwards. Also water will go to the least line of resistance, which would be the joint between the floor and the wall in this case.
Roger Ramjet

Postby planemad » Fri May 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Thanks Roger, I have planned to do that, I guess I was just hoping to get away with something a little simpler if possible.
planemad

Postby pipoz » Sat May 11, 2013 4:33 pm

planemad wrote:Hi guys,

I am looking for some help/advice please. I am shortly going to build a raised Koi pond with an aviary as a backdrop. I want to use a 10 M X 4 M plinth as the base with the pond running the full 10 M width and using 2 M of the depth. That will give me 2 rectangles 10 X 2 of which I want the front rectangle to be the Koi pond. I only want to build it to a maximum of 90 cm high but I want to make the pond wall double thickness with concrete infill. My question is really how much preparation do I need for the base, I am looking at about a 20 CM double or treble layered concrete/rebar matrix. Is this enough? Bearing in mind, the total weight of water should me no more than about 17 tonnes, do I need to tie the base to the walls? Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

KS

If you are planning a 900mm high side/external RC wall, some 10 meters long, (above ground with the weight of the water pushing out & with nothing to push against) then I would also look how you brace or restrain that 900mm wall, say at the 5m midspan point or say at third interval, i.e. every 3.33m, just to add some stiifness, so that it doesn't fail at the wall to slab junction. You can do this internally, under the water line, for asthetics.
pipoz

Postby schuimpge » Sun May 12, 2013 9:43 am

PlaneMad, have you considered a liner Pond?
That would save you a lot of weight and construction cost.
For the retaining wall, you can build it with blocks, reinforced with vertical rebar.
Double wall lets you drape the liner in the space between the two walls and then you use capstones to cover and hide it.
It also gives you more flexibility with the shape and dept.
Properly strengthened with rebar and say 50cm in ground and 40cm above ground will not need further braces.

Not sure how experienced you are with Koi-ponds, but do seriously consider 2 bowl shaped lower parts in your pond.
At those lowest parts, get a bottom drain to gravity-feed your filter.
They are easy to make DIY, or order them from a good Koi-retailer.
cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Sun May 12, 2013 9:50 am

Have a look at the pond I build on the cheap for my arapaima at work, it's about the size that you want for yours.
It's between 70-120 cm deep, with the front single block wall about 1 meter, partly below ground against the floor slab.
My wall was braced with concrete buttresses that also act as support for the netting and shade.
Needed them as the wall is only single block and not strengthened with rebar.

It is of course a Liner, with 2 bottom drains. Total cost about 80,000b.
That includes all equipment and filtering.
Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby planemad » Tue May 14, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks all, some good advice. I do have some experience of keeping Koi, but on a fairly small scale so this will be a much more interesting task. schuimpge, thanks for your ideas, do you have any pics posted of what you have built or am I simply too blind to find them?

KS
planemad

Postby schuimpge » Tue May 14, 2013 2:52 pm

PlaneMad, there's some pictures in MGV's thread, but below some pictures. Will spread over a couple of posts...
Do keep in mind that this build was a low-cost...max-size build. So not the most beautiful pond but maintenance free.
The first series below is Bog Number 1 and Settling Tank 1.
It shows the growth in the first couple of weeks I started up the system on this side.
Quite amazing how fast it grew..Just 1 pump for this side of the pond.
13.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

The settling tank is connected to the bottom-drain inside the pond. Water comes in under an angle and spins around. Heave particles settle at the bottom of the tank, which has a drain-pipe with valve. (the long blue pipe). To clean out the tank, simply open the valve and let it flush for a good 20 seconds.
Stinky mess when it comes out, but only a few seconds and the smell is gone. Extremely good plant-food.

ClearWater.jpg

The picture above shows the Concrete Disk on top of the bottom-drain. The blue PVC pipe is a DIY diffuser, which is connected (underground) to an airpump. Air switched off for the picture.
The Disk has 2 functions:
1. Avoid a "toilet-flush" of water going into the drain. The disk is spaced 1 Inch from the bottom, water is sucked in from the bottom, not just from above. This creates a movement of water on the bottom, cleaning debris over a large part of the pond.
2. It avoids fish being pulled in or blocking the drain and avoids damage to the drain/liner around it. (my Arapaima is 150cm and easily 25-30 kg now)...This disk is 35kg...Nothing will move it.
The air-diffuser creates upward lift, so the water-flow is like a donut shape all around the drain, for even better bottom-cleaning.
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Tue May 14, 2013 3:02 pm

I have two of these systems, one on each side of the main pond.
They keep the system crystal clear and never had any trouble with Algae.

13.jpg

This is a Panorama of the whole setup.
You can see that the liner is folded under a top of ConWood, but with a double wall, I could have tucked it in and cover with capstones.

P3230505.jpg

Close-up of Bog Number 2.
The tube disappearing in the gravel comes from the pump in the Settling Tank.
It just ends up in a 4" Diameter PVC pipe with vertical slots cut in it, every 10cm or so.
The PVC pip is about 2 meters long and comes up at the end, where I have a screw cap on it for possible cleaning of the pipe.
Gravel is just normal granite used for concrete mixing. I used the biggest size they had, about 5cm.
Cost me like 1000 baht per ton including delivery (I ordered a total of 10 ton, of which 3 ton ended up in both Bogs I estimate.)
Used the remainder of 7 ton to cover surrounding land.
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Tue May 14, 2013 3:08 pm

There's quite some video's I made, just search on YouTube for User: Schuimpge
Also, not sure if allowed, but I kept a blog of the whole construction on MFK (MonsterFishKeepers).
Either search for "Arapaima Pond Build" or check for user: Luc70.
There's loads of information on that site and some amazing ponds as well.
schuimpge

Return to swimming pool