Pump House question

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Pump House question

Postby sjeng » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:49 am

jazzman wrote:Pump houses are often neglected places and end up as filthy hell holes. I have known engineers called out to do a repair tell the client quite bluntly 'I'll come back and do the work when you've cleaned this mess up'.

The most messy pump houses are those that house a DE filter, because DE filters are messy, need a lot of servicing, and use a lot of costly DE powder. Every couple of years they also require the very expensive grid elements to be changed. Modern sand filters filled with Zelbrite are just as performant as DE and are generally completely maintenance free for at least 10 - 15 years if the pool and its water are looked after properly.

Jazzman, sorry I dont agree to your comment about DE filters.
filter capacity is a lot better then sand filters even with zelbrite.
expensive, no 1 bag 30 kg lasts for at least 3 years costs about 1800 thb.
dirty: not a drop spilled, with a back wash valve and a drain you don t even have to open the filter body. 2 kg new powder goes i by the skimmer.

pump house difficult to clean: depents on the spaghetti build in valves, pumps and pipes. your last pic shows a clever simple one the 2 above make it indeed difficult to clean the pump house.
think before you build and keep it simple is my advise
Attachments
DSC02302.jpg
kis
sjeng

Postby jazzman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:48 pm

Sjeng, Kennite™ , the best brand, costs Baht 1,150.00 per 22.5 Kg bag or Baht 2,000.00 for 45 Kg (2 bags), and for a tiny bit more you can get it delivered to your door.

An independent study by an Australian university demonstrated that Zelbrite™ comes so close to the filtration properties of DE, that it's not worth making a song and dance about.
The huge advantage is that a sand filter with Zelbrite™ is absolutely maintenance free except for the occasional backwashing. No powder to buy, no grid elements to replace regularly.

As for the design of the spaghetti in the pump houses, that's either the fault of the so-called 'professional' pool firms, or the owner who built his pump house before he found out what needed to be installed in it.

Yours may be an exception, but If you have visited as many pump houses as I have, especially the ones at hotels and resorts, you will know that most of them are filthy hell holes.

Your Hayward filter and pump look quite new, but there is something I don't quite understand about your plumbing system on the suction side. Also, there are no barrel unions on the MPV, which means it may be difficult to service when the gasket needs changing.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby sjeng » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:32 pm

jazzman wrote:Sjeng, Kennite™ , the best brand, costs Baht 1,150.00 per 22.5 Kg bag or Baht 2,000.00 for 45 Kg (2 bags), and for a tiny bit more you can get it delivered to your door.

An independent study by an Australian university demonstrated that Zelbrite™ comes so close to the filtration properties of DE, that it's not worth making a song and dance about.
The huge advantage is that a sand filter with Zelbrite™ is absolutely maintenance free except for the occasional backwashing. No powder to buy, no grid elements to replace regularly.

As for the design of the spaghetti in the pump houses, that's either the fault of the so-called 'professional' pool firms, or the owner who built his pump house before he found out what needed to be installed in it.

Yours may be an exception, but If you have visited as many pump houses as I have, especially the ones at hotels and resorts, you will know that most of them are filthy hell holes.

Your Hayward filter and pump look quite new, but there is something I don't quite understand about your plumbing system on the suction side. Also, there are no barrel unions on the MPV, which means it may be difficult to service when the gasket needs changing.

about the the use of DE or sand filter I don t want to discuss that item again as long I am happy with my DE filter system. and close to is only close to not as good as.
about my fittings there are 2 barrel unions installed on the MPV only the one on top is hiding the lower one. the drainpipe doesn t need one i can just disconnect when i move the filter forward.
the reason why i didnt use dubbel union valves on the skimmer and vacuum piping is because i did put them to close to the wall they need min 5 cm distance between the wall and the pipe. but the elephant brand work as good as
have a nice day
sjeng

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:08 pm

Just to update on Pool equipment. I went around 3 pool equipment places today and got some prices. Retail for a 1.5 hp Waterco pump Supatuf model $875 Looked on the web ,wholesale outlet 20km away , quoted $485
Same retail pool shop $1485 for a Zodiac Tri-Mid which has the automatic ph control. Haven't tried for wholesale price on that yet, but it looks like those two units will do me for my 48,000 lt pool. It looks like Thailand isn't the only place where high mark ups are the norm. The Internet is going to be the death of retail stores. ?
Mike Judd

Postby jazzman » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:56 pm

Depends where the Internet pool store is located. As far as I know, there is only one genuine online swimming pool shop in Thailand and they appear to offer very reasonable prices compared to the high street / back street pool stores. Other stores advertise their products on their web sites but actually trying to buy something from them online is worse than a visit to the dentist, I mean, ฿14,000 for a tub of CYA? and when you get it, it's actually bog standard chlorine powder with the label stuck over.

Obviously imported products are going to be more expensive than they are in their own country, but it´s not all due to the ridiculous mark ups of the cowboys in the traditional expat enclaves - the Thai import duty on pool products is also applied at the luxury goods rate and the actual importers here don't get better wholesale prices than the retail stores back home, so there's also the CIF before you even start adding the customs duty and the clearing agent's fees.

That said, if you ever have problems with some pool stuff you bought abroad, chances are in the pool market here that you'll be told to take it back to whomever you purchased it from. Probably worth paying just a little bit extra to be sure of some service from an accredited dealer - especially on major items such as filters, pumps, and chlorinators.

The lowest price I've seen for a Zodiac TRi-M-pH was ฿75,800 so if you can get one cheaper in Thailand that didn't fall off the back of a lorry and has genuine support for its manufacturer's 4-year warranty, I won't be the only one who is eager to know about it 8)

Oh, and did you read what I posted about the ฿150 bags of pool salt selling in Khon Kaen last week for ฿750 each?
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:20 am

I have just checked on the price of the Zodiac Tri-mid , $1,080 ( B 30-32,000) here in Sydney, whether it's worth the trouble to bring it over in my luggage on one of my regular trips , is another story. Seeing as the pool is my next project I have been doing quite a bit of research on everything . as although I have had a pool built before, I never had the time to go into the nitty gritty of it. So if you don't mind I will be putting things passed you for comment along the way. Mike.
Mike Judd

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Jazzman ! Once again "Thanks for that info" I should be able to get it all right when I get around to actually building this pool, now that I know all the critical measurements.,I will do a sketch later perhaps for your perusal , of the intended positions of everything. Mike.
Mike Judd

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:16 pm

Scudman ! I checked again on the zodiac prices here online in Oz, $1,195 at www.directpoolsupplies.com.au for a Tri Mid size.
Mike Judd

Postby jazzman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:31 am

As I have said before, beware of buying expensive equipment abroad and bringing it to Thailand if guarantee service is ever going to be needed. Zodiac chlorinators probably have the longest guarantees that I know of (3 years on standard models, 4 years on the pH version), but the official policy of Zodiac is that the dealer/retailer is directly responsible for channeling any warranty claims. Which means sending the unit back to Australia for repair, or buying any spare parts in Thailand and DIY.
jazzman

Previous

Return to swimming pool