Pump House question

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Pump House question

Postby scudman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:41 pm

I am planning a 5x8 meter in-ground perimeter edge pool. My pump house location could in a couple of locations. My question is, what is the limit, if any, that the pump house and associated equipment can be, distance wise, from the pool? In one location it would be about 8-9 meters and the other less desirable location is about 5-6 meters away. Is it just about calculating the feet of head and sizing the pump correctly, or is it just a cost in more pipe, or are there other factors that determine the optimum distance?
scudman

Re: Pump House question

Postby thailazer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:08 am

9 meters doesn't sound very far. Our house water pump is 8 meters from the well (suction side) and then there is a 25 meter run (pressure side) to the house. No problems at all with multiple showers or water pressure. Just run a size larger pipe if you are concerned. We used 1 inch for the well and then 32 mm PE pipe from the pump to the house. Water volumes on pool filtering can be quite a bit higher than domestic water use, so make sure you use your actual volumes for your pipe sizing.
thailazer

Postby sjeng » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:45 pm

scudman. a warm welcome to another pool builder
distance is not the problem, only have to choose the right pump and pipe diameter. for a 5 x 8 m pool i would suggest a 1,5 / 2 hp pump and 2 inch pvc piping.
you have to think about the length of the pipes, the shorter the better and the less corners in the pipes the better to. keep the outlet (skimmer) side as close as possible to the pump.
for a pump its important that the suck side is short, the pressure side is not the problem the water will find its way to the pool back after passing the filter.
btw with the rainy season in a few months you better hurry up or your pool might float away (LOL)
lots of success and let the story begin.
sjeng

Postby olavhome » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:26 am

Another question concerning where to put the pump room. Does the pump make any noice ?? Plan to put it close to the bedroom (where we plan have aircon- which is not noiceless :roll: ). Is it ok - or better move it to another, more distant location :?:
olavhome

Postby scudman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:40 am

olavhome wrote:Another question concerning where to put the pump room. Does the pump make any noice ?? Plan to put it close to the bedroom (where we plan have aircon- which is not noiceless :roll: ). Is it ok - or better move it to another, more distant location :?:

Yes, they do make noise. They average around 65 dba, Some models are quieter than others. The older they get they usually get louder too. I would say they are slightly less noisier than an AC compressor though, so your AC unit MAY mask the pump noise.
scudman

Postby sjeng » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:54 am

you can reduce the noise by putting the pump on rubber silent block or even a rubber doormat will reduce the noise.
another option to chose the pump running time on the day. you need about 6 hours pumping a day to clean the pool depends on the max flow of the pump you chose.
sjeng

Postby olavhome » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:38 pm

OK, thanks. Think try to put it away from bedroom so wife dont get angry because of no sleep :wink: . Luckily we are still on planning stage :)
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:59 pm

One "last" question : How much space is needed for pump ? How big pumproom is needed ? :?:
olavhome

Postby sjeng » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:28 am

depends on the water-filter choice
if you go for a sand-filter they are big and need already 1 m2
if you go for a DE filter there are different options there are high build and low build models, surf the net for dimensions before building . a sand filter might not fit through a basic 80 cm door!
i did build my pumphouse under the roof overhang so its just 1 x 2 m and big enough, even room left for put the chemicals and cleaning equipment inside
sjeng

Postby olavhome » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:53 pm

Ok, thanks. Was afraid it had to be bigger :) :Have tried to estimate from pictures, but not easy.
olavhome

Postby jazzman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:48 pm

Pump houses are often neglected places and end up as filthy hell holes. I have known engineers called out to do a repair tell the client quite bluntly 'I'll come back and do the work when you've cleaned this mess up'.

The most messy pump houses are those that house a DE filter, because DE filters are messy, need a lot of servicing, and use a lot of costly DE powder. Every couple of years they also require the very expensive grid elements to be changed. Modern sand filters filled with Zelbrite are just as performant as DE and are generally completely maintenance free for at least 10 - 15 years if the pool and its water are looked after properly.
Attachments
DE filter.JPG
Typical DE filter installation after only 2 years. This one was ripped out and replaced with a sand/Zelbrite filter
DE filter.JPG (31.79 KiB) Viewed 997 times
Neat  and clean but  cramped .JPG
Too much in too little space making access awkwar
Neat and clean but cramped .JPG (30.11 KiB) Viewed 997 times
A neat, clean, sand filter installation.JPG
Note also the Saltwater chlorinator cell
A neat, clean, sand filter installation.JPG (25.95 KiB) Viewed 997 times
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:18 am

I read today on another topic about the cost of salt chlorinators costing unbelievable amounts of money in Phuket compared to other parts of Thailand. But they still seem expensive unless I am missing something like was that for all the equipment ?
Most Salt chlorinators alone in Oz cost around the B 15,000 -B18,000 mark, does that make it worth while to bring over when building a pool in Thailand. ? also the 1 h.p. Pump.($15,000) The sand filter would be a bit too big to bother with though. Just a question for members as I will be making at least a couple of trips before needing them.
Mike Judd

Postby scudman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:33 am

Mike Judd wrote:I read today on another topic about the cost of salt chlorinators costing unbelievable amounts of money in Phuket compared to other parts of Thailand. But they still seem expensive unless I am missing something like was that for all the equipment ?
Most Salt chlorinators alone in Oz cost around the B 15,000 -B18,000 mark, does that make it worth while to bring over when building a pool in Thailand. ? also the 1 h.p. Pump.($15,000) The sand filter would be a bit too big to bother with though. Just a question for members as I will be making at least a couple of trips before needing them.

I have not priced SWGs in Phuket yet, but I will bet they are much higher than all of the rest of Thailand. I am probably going to buy mine in the US as well as a pump and bring them back. A pump weighs about 40 lbs, so I should be able to get it into a second checked bag.
scudman

Postby scudman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:43 am

One example:

AIS Auto Chlor
AIS-SMC-20T
Model: Switchmode self cleaning chlorinator
48,500 baht.
scudman

Postby jazzman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:45 pm

Emaux SC series chlorinators (Australia) start at around ฿36,000.
Zodiac chlorinators (Australia) start at around ฿53,000 and also offer models with built-in pH control and acid feed.
Hayward (USA) chlorinators start at around the same prices as the Zodiac models.
Anything more than these prices is a blatant rip off.
Other brands that may be available in Thailand incudé for example, Hurlcon, butthey probably do nôt have a sophisticated customer support system here.

Chlorinators completely replace the traditional control boxes that are already full of totally superfluous electronics, so they save costs on a new build.

Chlorinators are also quite heavy because they have à large transformer inside. Some manufacturers may refuse to offer guarantee service for models purchased outside Thailand, while others might require proof that they were installed by an accredited dealer.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Next

Return to swimming pool