Large Pond Build

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Large Pond Build

Postby schuimpge » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:41 am

Hello All,

I'm in the planning stages of building a large pond for a customer of mine. The pond will be built in front of his new factory, construction of the pond starts around May, factory and pond are to be finished by end August. Pond will consist of 4 sections. Settling Tank, Bog (planted filter), Grow Out Pond and Main Pond.
Settling tank will be a round tank of aprox. 1.5m diameter where water comes in angled along the wall so it spins around. Purpose is to have heavy solids settle on the bottom where a drain with valve is located to empty it on a regular basis.
Bog will be a 6-10 square meter area, about 50cm deep, filled with course gravel and planted with Papyrus, Umbrella and other water-plants. They will take care of cleaning and provide space for bacteria to grow. Aside from that, the gravel will also polish the water.
From the bog, water will flow into the grow-out pond, approx. 3x4 meter square and 1.5 meter deep. As the name says, it's a nursery for smaller fish to grow out.
Main pond will be about 15x5 meters and 1.70m deep at deepest point.

Fish will be Arapaima, Red Tail Cats, Peacock Bass, Carp, Oscar, etc.

Now, my questions are on construction of the pond. I have 2 options:

1. All Concrete, like a swimming-pool.
2. Concrete boundary walls and liner pond.

My question is, if I where to build a concrete form first. (Without the rubber seal, just bottom and walls @ 90' on there, with the normal rebar connecting them of course and in 2 separate pours with added water-proofing agent...), and I would then render the pond in 1 time into a bowl shape, meaning the connection between bottom and wall would get a 20-30cm or more waterproofed layer of concrete on them. Would that work?
The pond would subsequently get a waterproof paint on it as well. But I just wonder on the rubber seal. Gut feeling tells me it should be ok doing it like that, but hope experts here can tell me some more.
Reason for the bowl-shape is that 2 or 3 bottom-drains will work much better with all the waste flushing in the right direction,....you guessed it...the drains.

I am getting my contractor to work out the cost in the coming weeks on both options. Then present it to my customer to see if he'll go for durability or cheap solution.
The whole pond will need pilling and floor-beams if going concrete, they are next to a side-arm of the Ta-Chin river, south west BKK, but that is another part to work out.

I do have experience with the liner, very easy to do, even cutting it up and installing drains in them, but I have a feeling he will go for quality build.
For the liner, first dig a trench, put in a footing, build up a double breeze-block wall reinforced with rebar (both cross braced and vertical in the stacked blocks) and filled with cement up to about 20cm from the top (that's where the liner will be tucked in). Next, you dig out the pond itself, compact first time, if going for drains through the liner, dig a trench for the drain-pipes. Backfill the pipes and drains trenches with concrete to stabilize them. Backfill the pond with a layer of sand and compact it.
Then roll out the liner and align and cut out the drains. Install drain-plate over the liner and then start filling the pond and straighten out the liner properly.
Once the pond is full, tuck the liner in the gap between inner and outer wall and put cap stones on top to hide it.
Open the drains, start the pumps and you're done.

Look forward to any suggestions on it.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Re: Large Pond Build

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:07 am

schulmpge,
There are numerous waterproofing agents that can be added to concrete either in the mixing process or after the concrete has set. I used them extensively when building both my house and indoor pool.
The rubber membrane in swimming pools is mainly there because most pools are poured in two stages and unless bonding agents (Lanco 451 or similar) are used, then the corners become stress points where seepage can occur over time.
Roger Ramjet

Postby schuimpge » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:18 am

Thanks RR, confirms what I hoped for. Waterproofing agent and the thick rendering in the corners should make it good to go then.
Off to the contractor and do another site-visit with him.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby sjeng » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:50 am

I dont want to contest or discus the use of a waterstop between floor and walls but why should you take the risk to have a leaking pool.
costs may not be the consideration they are priced bij about 200 thb per meter. and you van buy at global house even cheaper.

pooring floor and walls in one time can be done vut it will cost a fortune on formwork and bracing. there are poolbuilders who do it that way but they have steel formwork which they can use sgain for the next poolbuild.
they use an inside formwork that is floating( on down there is a 25-30 cm gap , hanging on a steel frame over the pool so that the concrete can slip under it and fill up the bottem sides, so there will be only one pour for walls and floor, but you need a lot of concrete (trucks) to fill up in one time.
sjeng

Postby schuimpge » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:58 pm

Thanks for the input Sjeng. Can't argue with the cost versus risk.
As said, I was just wondering because of the thick 2nd layer, especially in that corner for the waterstop.

Need to look into it as I am still not decided on shape, materials to be used.
Trying to 'wise up' a bit and I am happy with that progress... :lol:
schuimpge

Return to swimming pool