Best way to pour concrete

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Best way to pour concrete

Postby schuimpge » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Hello All,

While following Steve's "another swimming pool build", I remembered a building story of a large fishtank with concrete.
What I was wondering is: All pools I've seen on CTH, are '2-pour' builds, first you do the floor, then put in a rubber seal and then poor the walls.
But I've followed a build of a large fish-tank that was done in one continued pour, removing the need for the rubber-seal and arguably better because it's 1 pour.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... E-BASEMENT

The link shows the build, and what they do is put forms for the walls at the level where the bottom of the pool should be.
When you pour the concrete in from the top of the walls, it will partially slide away through the gap where the bottom of the pool starts.
There are techniques and tricks to make sure this is slowed down a bit so you can fill the walls first, then start filling the bottom immediately while the cement is still wet.
So my question is, anybody has experience building a pool like this?
I am no expert in this, just trying to get some ideas up for discussion.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Re: Best way to pour concrete

Postby jazzman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:36 pm

I wouldn't want to risk building a proper swimming pool this way. For one thing, where you put the struts to hold up the formwork for the walls?
The rubber water stop is not expensive and must be half embedded in the floor when it is poured. It's very straightforward.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby schuimpge » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:57 pm

For the struts, if you have snap-off form-supports like in the link I gave, you'd be ok with hanging them from the top.
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:00 pm

I'd say this process would be a bit like SprayCrete. A very stiff mix of concrete that will not flow out of the vertical forms like water, more like a ketchup just out of the freezer.
schuimpge

Postby jazzman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:13 pm

A very stiff concrete mix would need to be exceptionally well vibrated to ensure that it compacts and settles properly - even a normal mix needs to coaxed round the rebar with the vibrator.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to swimming pool