Another Swimming Pool Build

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Another Swimming Pool Build

Postby jazzman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:42 pm

It is absolutely essential that the concrete floor is poured in one contiguous operation.
It is equally important that the concrete wall all round is poured in one contiguous operation.
Joints between different pours of already partially cured concrete can never be waterproof.
Concrete must contain water proofing additive.
Concrete must not under any circumstances contain any curing accelerator additives.
It is essential to us rubber water-stop in the join between the floor and the wall. There must already be a photo of this somewhere in this forum, but if not don't hesitate to ask me to post one. Not using rubber water-stop (which is often left out by even some 'professional' pool firms) is just asking for disaster.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:35 pm

jazzman wrote:It is absolutely essential that the concrete floor is poured in one contiguous operation.
It is equally important that the concrete wall all round is poured in one contiguous operation.
Joints between different pours of already partially cured concrete can never be waterproof.
Concrete must not under any circumstances contain any curing accelerator additives.
It is essential to us rubber water-stop in the join between the floor and the wall. There must already be a photo of this somewhere in this forum, but if not don't hesitate to ask me to post one. Not using rubber water-stop (which is often left out by even some 'professional' pool firms) is just asking for disaster.

Just wondering. If you can get the walls and floor poured in one contiguous operation as Luc suggested wouldn't that also work?

I'm asking as it would make pouring in ground water tanks an easier operation. I'm sure it would be difficult for swimming pool size construction, but would it work for smaller size rainwater storage?
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Steve&mem » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:06 pm

Well where now back with the pool build, we were without labour for 3 weeks so here’s an update of where we are up to.

We skimmed the bottom with about 5 cm or 2 inch of concrete.
IMAG0585.jpg

Then started the outer wall in those cheap blocks.
IMAG0589.jpg

Today they are putting in the first part of steel reinforcing.
IMAG0603.jpg
Steve&mem

Postby schuimpge » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:40 am

jazzman wrote:It is absolutely essential that the concrete floor is poured in one contiguous operation.

Jazzman, I fully understand it needs to be poured in one continuous operation, but that's what I mean. You poor the walls, then continue immediately with the floor. When doing so, you have a solid 1-pour concrete tub.
As for your remark that partially cured concrete can never be waterproof... No argument there. But that's not what I meant to say. You poor everything in one go..
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:41 am

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... E-BASEMENT

The above link shows in pictures what I mean with 1 pour build.
(If mod's allow the link) There's no rubber seals or anything necessary with it.
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:41 pm

Apologize if I'm hijacking this thread. I'll put this discussion up in a separate thread and see how it develops.
Cheers, will keep following your build steve, looking good so far.

Luc
schuimpge

Postby Steve&mem » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:09 pm

Work was going well until the two goons that were sent to fill round the side decided that it needed packing down a bit more, here’s the result.

IMAG0621.jpg

Oh well they now have to dig it out and rebuild the wall.
Steve&mem

Postby schuimpge » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:11 pm

Steve&mem wrote:Work was going well until the two goons that were sent to fill round the side decided that it needed packing down a bit more, here’s the result.

IMAG0621.jpg

Oh well they now have to dig it out and rebuild the wall.

Is that one of the goons in the picture, contemplating how to explain to his boss and how to shortcut this f-up?
schuimpge

Postby Steve&mem » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:49 am

Is that one of the goons in the picture, contemplating how to explain to his boss and how to shortcut this f-up?[/quote]

Yes it is, his mate was on the phone to the boss when I took the pic.
They started digging it out so that they could start to rebiuld the wall today, its only a few days setback, I'am just happy they were not pouring concrete when it happend.
Steve&mem

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:27 am

Steve and Mem,
I would be pleased it actually happened when it did; it's like a wake-up call that the wall is never going to be strong enough to retain the concrete on the pour and will probably collapse. If I were you I would be buying the sheets of 7 ply and placing them against the shaky wall and then bracing the sheets.... it will probably cost about 10-15,000 baht to do that now, but it would be preferable to the whole wall collapsing when the concrete is poured. I would also wait until the wall is poured and has had time to settle for a few days before removing the 7 ply sheets. You'll find when you insert the wriggler into the concrete to remove the air and make it settle that if your wall is not braced as I suggested it will collapse or warp, either way it will be a disaster.
For the amount of water it will contain the outward/downward pressure will be huge ..... here's a rough calculation on a small pool:
Force and weight are the same thing; so if you know the weight of all the water, you know the force at the bottom/side of the pool.
IF: The volume of the water is 30m x 11m x 3m or 990 m^3.
The density of water is 1000 kg/m^3, so the total mass of water is 990 000 kg.
The force applied by this mass is given by
W = mg, where g is the gravitational acceleration
The total force is therefore 9.7 MN.
One set of rebar in the concrete will not be enough, you will need two sets with a space of about 10 cm between and at least 20cm of concrete. Hope this helps.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Steve&mem » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:35 am

Earlier in the thread there was a lot of talk about chairs for the steel.
Well as I was chopping up the pipe for the plumbing one small piece got wedged under the steel. This got me thinking about using them for the chairs, here is the result. They are as tuff as hell, up to now I still have not broken any, were as the concrete ones the builder was using were crumbling under my obese weight.

IMAG0632.jpg

IMAG0636.jpg
Steve&mem

Postby Steve&mem » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:10 pm

Finally got some labour back on site to finish the steel work so we could pour the floor. We intend to leave the floor to cure for about a week before we pour the walls.
The original intension was to use blocks for the walls and then infill with concrete but my builder has convinced me to use the steel shuttering.
This means we have gained 30cm on the length and width of the pool
Attachments
IMAG0659.jpg
IMAG0670.jpg
Steve&mem

Postby Steve&mem » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:18 am

The steel shuttering turned up and they didn’t waste any time putting it together.

IMAG0687.jpg

I was surprised that they put some supports on the inside walls while they were knocking the wood to support the outer walls.
I think after the episode with the wall collapse earlier he is been more careful.

IMAG0686.jpg

IMAG0694.jpg
Steve&mem

Postby Steve&mem » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:17 pm

Work has been moving at a fast pace for the last week so here’s a few pics to get up to date.
IMAG0705.jpg

IMAG0721.jpg

IMAG0747.jpg

IMAG0766.jpg

IMAG0771.jpg
Steve&mem

Postby Steve&mem » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:35 pm

The rendering of the walls is nearly done. At the moment they are making the forms for the steps and the spa using the red bricks as you can see in the picture.
They are now asking what I want to use for in fill behind the steps and spa. I presumed it would be just sand but if anybody knows different please let me know
IMAG0775.jpg

IMAG0776.jpg

IMAG0781.jpg

IMAG0782.jpg
Steve&mem

PreviousNext

Return to swimming pool