Need pool advice...

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Need pool advice...

Postby psychomud » Wed May 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Hey gang, I see some GREAT advice here and I could use your honest opinions:

First off, the reason I want a "pool" is to save on AC (electric bill) use and relax during the mid-day sun.

1) Having a pool - does it SAVE you money when trying to keep cool?

I see a LOT of info her about initial costs and maintenance and I wonder if I would be better off focusing on home cooling efficiency so save a couple extra bucks versus investing in a small "pool".
Notice I say "pool" in quotes.
What i really have in mind is something more like a wading pool/jacuzzi - basically a large bathtub (no jets) that can fit 6 adults, above ground, with attached deck. What I have in mind doesn't really qualify as a true "pool".
psychomud

Re: Need pool advice...

Postby cooked » Wed May 02, 2012 2:15 pm

Good question, I also am thinking long term about something like this, have no idea where to start. I just know it will need a roof and a beer cooler.
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Postby psychomud » Wed May 02, 2012 2:35 pm

EXACTLY!

Roof+beer cooler+water+daily use between 11am and 3pm ;)

When I had this epiphany years back - I figured that with such a small "pool" (tub) I could just pop in some chemicals once a week and change the water once a month.

I am thinking that if it were that easy (cheap) everyone would be doing this - but it turns out, this may not be the case. ;)
psychomud

Postby geordie » Wed May 02, 2012 4:15 pm

Having spent a couple of months in a Thai built house with zero insulation it was always my intention to insulate the place to death that way you can have the luxury of aircon at an affordable rate i would say that insulating the house "and windows" then fitting aircon will cost less than a pool long term and keep you cool better given that the water out the cold tap reached burn your skin temperatures 38% water outside in a dustbin was never less than 28%
i cannot see a pool being that cooling or that convenient there are a hundred things that may require your attention during the course of the day you can attend to with a chair and aircon
suddenly you cannot because you are imersed in water ""hot water!!
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby cooked » Wed May 02, 2012 5:54 pm

well, it's the pigging myself sat in the water with beer, books, bird and tv that were my personal motivations. Economising on air conditioning wasn't a part of my calculations.
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Postby geordie » Wed May 02, 2012 6:11 pm

cooked wrote:well, it's the pigging myself sat in the water with beer, books, bird and tv that were my personal motivations. Economising on air conditioning wasn't a part of my calculations.

I thought staying comfortable was the aim
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby psychomud » Thu May 03, 2012 9:17 am

geordie wrote:I thought staying comfortable was the aim

That's my aim. ;)

If you guys recommend building a 40 foot tower with a clubhouse on top to catch a breeze and stay cool, on the cheap - that's what I'll do. ;)
psychomud

Postby Mike Judd » Thu May 03, 2012 1:23 pm

I will be over on the 26th May and I hear that it's really hot over there now, as I have never been in Thailand in May (Always Sept or Jan) So I will have to see for myself how it is in the house with no Air-Con and relying on flow through ventilation. I have lived in the Tropics before so it's not going to be a shock or anything, just might need some more thought on the subject. I did live in one house in the Solomon islands, built by an expat out of steel shipped out from the U.K. it had it's main living area up in the air with all the walls adjoining the balconies able to fold up and away leaving the whole house open to what ever breezes came along.We obviously slept under Mozzie nets, but I thought it was a great idea.
Mike Judd

Postby jazzman » Fri May 18, 2012 11:01 am

psychomud wrote:What i really have in mind is something more like a wading pool/jacuzzi - basically a large bathtub (no jets) that can fit 6 adults, above ground, with attached deck. What I have in mind doesn't really qualify as a true "pool".

This SwimSpa thing looks as if it could be exactly the kind of thing you are looking for. At around ฿500,000 it's price is still more economical on a size/price ratio to the cost of spa tubs for bathrooms, such as are sold in Home Pro etc., and it does include a built-in counter-current system by Speck Badu Stream which is expensive on its own.
Ideal solution I suppose for anyone for whom space is a premium, but for that money, at that price I would prefer to have a proper swimming pool built. Maybe you could get the manufacturer (it's made in Thailand) to just sell you the fibregalss tub & surround without the counter-current system and spa jets, but with this kind of volume, you would still need its built in filtation system.
Attachments
swimspa.jpg
swimspa.jpg (34.5 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby jamaicabraden » Wed May 23, 2012 10:39 pm

that's a great idea. how about considering (links to comercial sites not allowed per forum rules mod) I think they cost lesser than the jacuzzi type.
jamaicabraden

Postby Maseratimartin » Thu May 24, 2012 8:42 am

bali pool.JPG

This is what I would do....maybe without the kids part!

Huge Palms around for shadow...sitting in the jaquzzi under the water fall... :mrgreen:
Maseratimartin

Postby sjeng » Thu May 24, 2012 10:29 am

my experiance and opinion
I started with a small 4 m round above ground pool for the kids last year.
difficult to keep it clean, algae aso the pump and cartrigefilter have to clean every day. water temp over 36 degree and even more algae
have to refresh the water 7 m3 at least every week.
chemicals such as HCL and Chlorine had its impact on the pvc bottem hars and leaking
as Chlorine is corrosive the steel support from the pool got corroded
so advice an above ground pool only stays for max 2 Years.

my advice go for an inground pool at the end less trouble and save the money and annoyance off the aboveground.
get a local builder not a poolbuilder and build it yourself with the knowledge of several (pool)buildforums it can be done for about half the price.
sjeng

Postby jazzman » Thu May 24, 2012 1:27 pm

Maseratimartin wrote:
bali pool.JPG

Interesting. Note that there is no mention of the actual surface square metre size - photos can be deceptive. It's my guess that for the price quoted, you don't get much more than 25m2 Pools like this, even including the fancy rockwork, only take 30 days to construct by a professional firm, so there's an alarm bell ringing with the 90-day construction time. Is this a one-man show and he's doing all the work single handed?
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby Maseratimartin » Thu May 24, 2012 2:26 pm

jazzman wrote:
Maseratimartin wrote:
bali pool.JPG

Interesting. Note that there is no mention of the actual surface square metre size - photos can be deceptive. It's my guess that for the price quoted, you don't get much more than 25m2 Pools like this, even including the fancy rockwork, only take 30 days to construct by a professional firm, so there's an alarm bell ringing with the 90-day construction time. Is this a one-man show and he's doing all the work single handed?

From their website they seem to be a bigger company, but I still didn't research in detail as this part is still too far away in my case.

I would not mind building my pool myself but especially the fancy rock work is something I would not touch.
First you need to have the hands for it, then where to get the right colors....and so on.
Later I will check how the story would look like with real rocks...where to get huge ones and so on.
I would just run the filtered water from the pool back over the waterfall...

For the moment I just wanted to share the nice design... :wink:
Maseratimartin

Postby jazzman » Thu May 24, 2012 11:13 pm

Ah, I had in fact missed the size. I could only see the blue text against the dark background after enlarging the image. At 36 m2, this works out at only ฿13,600 per m2. A very reasonable price indeed, and just about doable for a small profit - if it is constructed correctly with quality materials and equipment.
jazzman

Return to swimming pool