Converting a concrete water tank into a small pool.

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Converting a concrete water tank into a small pool.

Postby lnkdes1 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:06 pm

I've got a concrete water tank on my property that is a little less than 360 cm in diameter and approx 150 cm high. It's just sitting there being an empty tank & I thought I'd turn it into a small pool (you know, for my dog). I spoke with the guy that built it, and he swears he didn't put any steel in when he poured it. I'd first of all, like to find some metal bands that they use for silos to wrap around the outside, due to the pressure the water will exert. 2-3 should be sufficient. Does anyone know where I can find these? I live about 15 km outside of Kanchanaburi (Nong Bua). I can forward a picture of the tank. I'm not trying to make anything exotic or real fancy, as I only have a 3 yr lease, but I do plan on building a deck, so it's not so difficult to get in & out.
lnkdes1

Re: Converting a concrete water tank into a small pool.

Postby pattayapope » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:38 pm

A picture may help to get better response, taking guess you could build some posts around it with rebar and concrete. Just wonder has it ever had water in it, there is not too much sideways pressure even though it holds alot of water. I would be more concerned about the ground supporting it and keeping it clean.[*] :roll:
pattayapope

Re: Converting a concrete water tank into a small pool.

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:27 pm

Inkdes1,
You can buy the metal straps at any metal shop. I would suggest you weld on screw in/bolt clamps either end to tighten them after you use an oxy torch to get the exact shape of the tank just right. I think they come in 6 metre lengths if my memory serves me correctly. You'll also need about three, one right at the base, one just under half way and another near the top. If the tank doesn't have rebar in it be careful not to over-tighten the straps and be sure you support them at the various heights.
Roger Ramjet

Return to swimming pool