above-ground swimming pools

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

above-ground swimming pools

Postby fredlk » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:32 pm

The small swimming pool I dug for the dogs is too small and the water gets too hot and too dirty within a couple of days so I thought I might buy them and me a steel-walled, vinyl-lined, 4.6 metre diameter pool for about 18,000 Baht. I sent away one enquiry to a company in Udon, but I have no idea who else might supply them, preferably closer to home. I know it won't last very long, but it's sort of temporary and cheap. Has anyone any knowledge or any information for me about these pools and their availability?
fredlk

Re: above-ground swimming pools

Postby fredlk » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:59 pm

My one enquiry already replied:

"4.6m x 0.9 m family pool is discounted at 14,800 Baht.
The under water filter 2,690 Baht.
Further we offer 1Kg Chlorin 300 Baht,
550 ml algaecide 400 baht,
2 pcs reserve filtercartridges for the pump 800 Baht,
homedelivery with kerry logistics additional 800 Baht."

STEP6.jpg

3CIMG2574-small.jpg

1CIMG2567-small.jpg

6CIMG2592-small.jpg

7CIM.jpg

pool4.jpg
fredlk

Postby pattayapope » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:00 pm

Fred did you consider a simple sun shade to keep it cooler, the old pool I am talking about. Some plastic sun shade and wood frame should cost 500 baht or so?
pattayapope

Postby fredlk » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:13 pm

pattayapope wrote:Fred did you consider a simple sun shade to keep it cooler, the old pool I am talking about. Some plastic sun shade and wood frame should cost 500 baht or so?

It's a bit of a haphazard thing as it is and every few nights the neighbourhood's frogs arrive and fornicate in the water. As a result I have to throw out the water every 4 or 5 days just to get rid of the tadpoles.
If I could filter the water well enough as well as shade it it might be worthwhile, but I don't think it's a good proposition to invest more time and effort on it. I also miss having a pool to cool off in.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:45 pm

Fred i hope the filtration system is more robust looking than the pool is the chlorine will take care of the tadpoles ? but will the dogs still enjoy the use of they are way more sensitive to smell than us apart from which how do they get in and out

Admit it the pools for you isnt it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I am for it i am sure it will accomadate six jr,s when yours have freinds round an alternative for the doggy pool and tadpoles would be a small cap of bleach (very small)
that should stop the frolicking :lol: :lol: :lol:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:46 am

geordie wrote: i hope the filtration system is more robust looking than the pool

It's just as flimsy, but it all only has to last a couple of years.
8CIMG2599-small.jpg

geordie wrote: will the dogs still enjoy the use of they are way more sensitive to smell than us

True, I hadn't thought of that although for them anything with a pong is lunch.
geordie wrote:how do they get in and out

I've made steps for them elsewhere out of the grey block and would do the same for the pool and on the inside there will be some kind of island like a plastic table for them to get on to.
geordie wrote:Admit it the pools for you isnt it

It's for us, alpha male me, vice-alpha male Eddy and alpha female Patsy. Guests might be allowed in, but will have to undergo a weight check first. :lol:

My one worry at the moment is that the person selling it wants the full price up front before sending it. If he were Thai I would trust him, but now .......... :?:
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:57 am

After your input, maybe preferable is a smaller jacuzzi-sized bathtub with a plughole that I can put up on the patio. Then if and when the water gets dirty I can just empty it and refresh it by myself without having to enlist someone's help. The frogs are also less likely to get inside for a frolic and if I need cooling I too can have a dip. It'll also be easier to put in the shade under the eaves at the front door.

Update to my previous question:
Has anyone any experience with (cold) hot-tubs / jacuzzis in Thailand or ideas on availability? Thanks.
fredlk

Postby pattayapope » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:46 am

fredlk wrote:After your input, maybe preferable is a smaller jacuzzi-sized bathtub with a plughole that I can put up on the patio

A wise choice Fred but would be a lot more than 15 - 20 K, most of the big hardware stores have them on display from time to time and are designed for outdoor use with a removable cover and imitation wood side planks. The last ones I saw were in Global house but not sure if any on display at the moment.
pattayapope

Postby fredlk » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:52 am

pattayapope wrote:most of the big hardware stores have them on display from time to time and are designed for outdoor use with a removable cover and imitation wood side planks. The last ones I saw were in Global house

Thanks, I'll have a look. I'd prefer non-acrylic because that scratches too easily. I don't even really need the pumps, just the tub itself.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:48 am

Not wanting to be acused of being related to gilfaes :mrgreen: why not a double IT block wall wth a pvc pond liner and if you can get hold of it (home pro ) DO home! some cheap carpet as a liner first as they do in france
you could be up and running in no time the pond liner should be used as its uv stable and they may even be able to make Glue the shape & size you want in the shop add an outlet with valve and away you go on the terrace be careful LXWXH 1 cubic meter around a ton so 500mm high x 1 meter wide x 2mtrs long = 1 ton so try and sit central over a suport beam i would try and keep it around 1/12 ton and no more consider the blocks as part of the weight

It might be woth adding the filter fom the above first pool :roll: :roll: it should give you somewher to dunk
while you are waiting for the second phase you can always add ice :roll: :roll:
geordie

Postby fredlk » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:20 am

geordie wrote:why not a double IT block wall wth a pvc pond liner and if you can get hold of it (home pro ) DO home! some cheap carpet as a liner first as they do in france

You can build it if you want. You seem to have forgotten that DIY for me means internet banking.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:34 am

fredlk wrote:
geordie wrote:why not a double IT block wall wth a pvc pond liner and if you can get hold of it (home pro ) DO home! some cheap carpet as a liner first as they do in france

You can build it if you want. You seem to have forgotten that DIY for me means internet banking.

How much :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: "

Has your gardener left now ??
geordie

Postby fredlk » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:47 am

geordie wrote:How much

Depending on how good you are between 300 and 600 Baht per 6-hour day.
geordie wrote:Has your gardener left now ??

Memory loss or are you just not reading? I reported on their departure about a month ago. See my post at http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1698&start=1770#p35954.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:21 pm

fredlk wrote:
geordie wrote:How much

Depending on how good you are between 300 and 600 Baht per 6-hour day.
geordie wrote:Has your gardener left now ??

Memory loss or are you just not reading? I reported on their departure about a month ago. See my post at http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1698&start=1770#p35954.

I have been busy since then and slept several times :D apart from which i thought they were doing a period of notice at the speed i work these days :( or even move that would work out expensive :roll: :roll: wait till next door have a builder around again or visit Rangsit and buy a small boat ?? there are loads of them about :lol: :lol: maybe they are expecting a repeat
geordie

Postby jamaicabraden » Wed May 23, 2012 10:45 pm

I agree with fredlk, I think a smaller jacuzzi is a great option or a smaller (links to comercial sites not allowed per forum rules mod).
jamaicabraden

Return to swimming pool