building our swimmingpool

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: building our swimmingpool

Postby jazzman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:52 am

Hi Sjeng,
For anyone still following this thread, it looks like you've done very well indeed. It confirms what I posted here 5 years ago on the savings that can be made, and even better - if your pool is 100 m2, you'll be interested to know that most pool firms in Khon Kaen and Udon Thani, for example, now appear to be quoting around ฿20,000 per m2, so it pays to shop around.

sjeng wrote: i am already 10 days waiting for my pump and filter. shop promissed 3-7 days after payment no respons on my e=mail and today i telephone, sorry sir filter have to come from outside country, wait for next month nr 6 sure sure sure

I'm rather surprised at the above, because all Hayward (a world-leading US brand) pumps and filters are in stock at most good pool firms in Thailand and they will deliver anywhere in the country within 48 - 72 hours. Prices are in the region of:

Hayward Super pump 1 HP: ฿ 22,000.00 (compare Emaux™, Australia, model SB10, ฿ 17,700.00)
Hayward Model 36920 D.E. filter: ฿38,000.00 (compare Jacuzzi™ Canada, model EW36, ฿ 39,800.00)

Again, it pays to shop around; the above prices are reasonable, but it may be possible to get further discounts of 10 - 15%. Getting prices from the Internet from Thai builders and suppliers may not be easy though - there seems to be a conspiracy not to publish prices, which leads my nasty suspicious mind to suspect that perhaps many make up their prices on the spur of the moment based on the cut of the customer's cloth.

D.E. filters have excellent performance, comparable to traditional sand filters filled with Zelbrite™ or DiamondKleen™ (both which don't need changing for many years). However, D.E. can sometimes be fickle and messy and needs regular maintenance. Current price for DE powder such as Kenite 3000 from the USA is around ฿1,300 for a 22.5 Kg bag.

I don't see you mentioning underwater lighting for your pool. Perhaps I missed it. The modern trend now is to go for flat-mounted (no niche necessary in the concrete) LED lights with remote controlled colour changing. Only slightly more expensive than the traditional halogen lights, they will also save a lot of electricity.

For anyone considering building a pool, it's worth taking into account that the prices of chemicals have risen considerably over the past few years. Pools are still considered (at least by the retailers) to be the toys of rich people and pool and pool products still carry a luxury goods label. Some reasonable current prices are:

Chlorine (powder/granular) from about ฿90 - 120 per Kg
Chlorine 200gr tablets from about ฿280 - 300 per Kg
Soda Ash (pH plus) from about ฿ 20 - 25 per Kg
HCl (pH minus) from about ฿ 28 - 35 per Kg
Algicides and clarifiers were always expensive, especially for pool owners in areas permanently blighted with black algae or who are forced to top up with dirty water. Highly efficient, concentrated ones should not be costing more than ฿ 1,900 for a US gallon (3.78 l) bottle

The same products packed in proprietary tubs, bags, and bottles may cost a great deal more. Specially refined pool salt, for example, although representing a huge saving over chlorine for anyone who has invested in a sw chlorinator, has seen some impressive hikes in price recently with some retailers having the bold face to charge ฿ 500 - 550 per 20 Kg bag, while others are selling the same stuff for 'only' ฿ 290.

Test kits can be another rip off. There is not much to choose between the three or four different brands of Cl & pH test kits in their little blue plastic boxes with test tubes and 30cl dropper bottles, but I have seen them on sale recently in Udon Thani from as little as ฿199 to a staggering shame-faced ฿ 1,200! Pool water testing is now getting more sophisticated, and digital testers are gaining in popularity. Far more accurate than reagents or test strips, they can be bought for little more than the price of a couple of traditional test kits. Worth looking out for.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby dozer » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks for the excellent info on self build pool along with cost figures broken down by item. The pics of the build are also very good. If you could when you have time post a few pics of the finished pool that would be greatly appreciated! (The latest one I see is 'almost done')
dozer
Site Admin

Postby sezze » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:54 pm

Great job .
I noticed a quite heavy pricetag on the shuttering/formwork , 22000 baht . Now this can indeed be resold but it is still a big cost . I think they can be rented from some companies for a few baht ( the steel ones ) . Other options are the concrete planks which are not really cheap also but allready are part of the wall structure when the concrete pour is finished . The sinter blocks on the outside are good but on the inside i would not use them as they are pretty weak .
I think the walls in Thailand are massive overbuild like you stated . I've been looking on the internet and many swimmingpools in the western world are build using a single layer rebar at 25cm spacing ( 12mm rebar ) , with 15 to 20 cm walls .
sezze

Postby jazzman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:21 pm

It is a perfectly standard method to build the interior formwork with breezeblocks that stay in place after the concrete pour. They also provide a nice flat surface and high adhesion for the waterproof rendering . In fact it's often the only way to build free-form pools with curved walls. The brick work needs to be propped up though with just a few planks and eucalyptus poles - cost for an average pool about ฿ 500.

For rectangular pools, high volume pool constructors invest in steel plates that are bolted together, but they still need the eucalyptus props.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby sezze » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:34 pm

jazzman wrote:It is a perfectly standard method to build the interior formwork with breezeblocks that stay in place after the concrete pour. They also provide a nice flat surface and high adhesion for the waterproof rendering . In fact it's often the only way to build free-form pools with curved walls. The brick work needs to be propped up though with just a few planks and eucalyptus poles - cost for an average pool about ฿ 500.

For rectangular pools, high volume pool constructors invest in steel plates that are bolted together, but they still need the eucalyptus props.

Since the breeze blocks have cavities , and are weak , would they have to be filled up with something ? Otherwise , the wall structure mights be strong , but the inside is only the tile , some rendering end then a breeze block with a cavity .
sezze

Postby jazzman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:17 pm

The cavities do not have to be filled. The strength is in the concrete wall. If workers are doing their job properly, there are no exposed cavities. The brixkwork is rendered with about 1 cm hard mix with waterproofing. Care should be taken with the curing process so that it does not develop shrinkage cracks as it cures. Special tile adhesive must be used for swimming pools and special grout.
jazzman

Postby geordie » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:39 pm

jazzman wrote:The cavities do not have to be filled. The strength is in the concrete wall. If workers are doing their job properly, there are no exposed cavities. The brixkwork is rendered with about 1 cm hard mix with waterproofing. Care should be taken with the curing process so that it does not develop shrinkage cracks as it cures. Special tile adhesive must be used for swimming pools and special grout.

I thought the larger 8" blocks were becoming available here in certain areas ? That being so would a freeform pool not be better using those (old school) and inserting your rebar then filling with consrete
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby MGV12 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:29 am

geordie wrote:

I thought the larger 8" blocks were becoming available here in certain areas ? That being so would a freeform pool not be better using those (old school) and inserting your rebar then filling with consrete

As I have mentioned before ... these are good for near enough anything ... including pools; and ponds of course :) very dense very heavy

Surely they are available other than in CM ... that's a question :?:

Serene block.jpg
Serene block.jpg (65.13 KiB) Viewed 1765 times

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Vansana » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:14 pm

I used these heavy Blockes mentioned above for some walls on my house. Thy are dense and heavy, I like them.
For my upcomming pool-project I should have these formwork blocks, they can be filled with concrete ad the rebar can be go throu them. That's not possibe with either big or small bloock available here, right?
Vansana

Postby jazzman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:41 pm

These blocks are available in most large cities. I know of one supplier in Udon Thani.
jazzman

Postby geordie » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:12 pm

jazzman wrote:These blocks are available in most large cities. I know of one supplier in Udon Thani.

I am still trawling suppliers ? not found them Rangsit but sure someone has them what are they like on price ?
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby jazzman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:40 pm

If I remember rightly, the last time I bought some they were about ฿12 each but that was a few years ago.
jazzman

Postby MGV12 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:02 pm

Those in my pic are made just a few clicks from my place and were 14 Baht a couple of years back.

I will be utilising them for a pool wall in due course ... but the nature of our dirt is a very significant factor in that decision.

It might not be wise to try this at home without a competent analysis of your local conditions.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby jazzman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:11 pm

The main issue with using blocks for a wall is finding a solution for the rubber waterstop, and ensuring that the walls are 100% waterproof.
jazzman

Postby MGV12 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:52 pm

jazzman wrote:The main issue with using blocks for a wall is finding a solution for the rubber waterstop, and ensuring that the walls are 100% waterproof.

True.

I used a swellable sealant from Sika under the leading edge of those blocks in my 40,000 Litre pond extension ... with a mortar wedge as belt and bracers. Finished with a two-part epoxy paint it doesn't leak a drop after nine months. But ... as i mentioned before ... our dirt [especially at one metre plus] is highly compacted gravel/flint and akin to building on solid rock. If the conditions are not so good then caution is suggested and the reason why a qualified and competent engineers report should be sought whatever... no waterstop will work if there is serious settlement from the weight of the construction and water. One Litre weighs one Kilogram ... so 40,000 Litres weighs 40,000 Kilograms = 40 Metric Tonnes .. and it's all trying to push the bottom of the pond/pool downwards!!!.

MGV12

PreviousNext

Return to swimming pool