building our swimmingpool

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: building our swimmingpool

Postby sjeng » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:57 am

geordie wrote:Good going and will be nice if you are within budget did you get a price for having it built of did you always intend on a diy job ? what was the eucaliptus for? ""props""

the eukaliptus or juka was used to keep the formwork in place (cheap and strong but dont take the fresh ones the dry one are stronger and dont bent.
I got a quote for build the pool only 11.000 thb m2 . but i intended to do it myself as I knew it would be a lot cheaper and stronger.
by the way when tou want to build take the free shape and use the sinterblocks also for inside shuttering need only littlebit of wood to keep the wall in place and no playwood. the result of free form looks even better than the squarw swimmingpool. I made my plan already and did not want to change it again.
sjeng

Postby sjeng » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:59 pm

sitrep on the pool
formwork is out
buildingsite cleared (european style) my workers shocked, never seen something before.
now repairing the dammage from the formwork break down 2 spots have to hammer out the concrete 4 cm thick and about 2 m2. I bought them a drill hammer to clear the job.
DSC02175.JPG
dammage spot

have to repair some small minor spots in the concrete but that is a minor job a bucket of strong cement and its fixed.
DSC02172.JPG
formwork out
dont need rendering
Fortunately the concrete is not hardened out jet so its quiet easy to breack it out with the drill hammer. ahalf day job i think and then render the rough concrete again to a smooth poolform.
DSC02173.JPG
drilling
next we start with the piping and the concrete around the pool (100 m2)
next week i get the tiles and can start tiling. and with the pumphouse.

see u
sjeng

Postby sjeng » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:03 pm

so 2 weeks ahead and not so much happened these days.
First we got a one week delay for the tiles and repairing the concreed took longer then expected, not a pleasant job with the concreet drill i presiume.
afterall now the pumphouse is almost ready and rendered.
DSC02264.JPG
pumphouse

bad spots in the pool are egalised
DSC02261.JPG
egalised concrete
30 % of the walls are rendered
DSC02275.JPG
rendering the walls

area around the pool has been covered with 10 cm concrete
so no more grass and dirt cutting in this area, still 800 m2 garden left more then enough for a farang who is not allowed to work.
see u again soon
Attachments
DSC02263.JPG
surrounding in concrete
sjeng

Postby pattayapope » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:32 am

Sjeng Pool looking good one question on the pump room, how wide is the door is there enough space to get the sand filter in? Not sure if you plan to use salt system but what I have found in my pump room is that all the metal has started to rust, I now keep the salt outside in a container and run the extractor fan most of the time.
pattayapope

Postby sjeng » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 pm

pattayapope wrote:Sjeng Pool looking good one question on the pump room, how wide is the door is there enough space to get the sand filter in? Not sure if you plan to use salt system but what I have found in my pump room is that all the metal has started to rust, I now keep the salt outside in a container and run the extractor fan most of the time.

door is 70 / 200 cm.
i did go for a Hayward super pump 2 (1 hp) and a 3620 DE filter, diameter 40 cm so it will go in for sure.chemicals HCL, Chlorine and soda ash will be stored in the pumphouse as well but using a big lock (children !!).
it wil be a bit narrow but dont have to stay in the pumphouse for long (I hope)
sjeng

Postby sjeng » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:46 pm

Slowly but still going
last week i fired the crew who did the rendering and who shuld do the tiling.
the way the rendered the concrete sides was done very bad they only look in one dimension but from top to bottem there was a difference of 2 cm on some walls which would result in triangle tiles in the cormners of the pool. so a NO WAY and i sent them away.
Where to find a new crew?? who not only speak the can do but also can do.
some phonecalls from misses and we found one
rendered all the pool in 1 day new and started tiling it looks great until now (lol)
DSC02277.JPG
tiling

just 2 people and result looks good so far,
DSC02278.JPG
a lot of tiles the vanilla one to check the speed

one day one man does about 6 m2 a day. costs for rendering new and tiling 180 thb for 1 m2

see you soon again
sjeng
sjeng

Postby elgato » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am

Anything new with your pool?
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby sjeng » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:11 am

had some heavy rain and thunderstorm last weekend, so tiling stopped for a few days, walls are finished, now have to start with the floortiles but have to pump out about 10 cm of rainwater.
i am also waiting for the delivery of the pump and filter and then can start to make the electric and piping connections in the pumphouse.
one thing is good, when you work slowly its easy to follow the budget and time to reconsider and change the plan still not sure about the finishing touch of the surrounding concrete, tiles, sandstone, ornaments or what else.
elgato wrote:Anything new with your pool?
sjeng

Postby sjeng » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:58 pm

you might think where is the news from sjeng's poolbuildingstory?
lately not much news realy, tiling in progress tomorrow the last 5 m2 from the bottem and yes tiling mission completed
we got an extra crew mwmber obvious the lady from the men who put the tiles in. she started grouting the sidewalls almost 40 % done we chose the crocodile supreme 184 thb a kilo bag the discription on the back promissed it is for swimmingpools so lets wait and see. as i can look now we need about 50 kg , small tiles much grouting.
DSC02286.JPG
big hole, and 9000 tiles ahead

The next step is to finish the surrounding of the pool about 100m2 we decided to put tiles with sandstone ( crushed pebbels) between ( it saves tiles, look bettter and is not so slippery.

the next problem is the pumphouse
i am already 10 days waiting for my pump and filter. shop promissed 3-7 days after payment no respons on my e=mail and today i telephone, sorry sir filter have to come from outside country, wait for next month nr 6 sure sure sure :evil:
so next week we can start pumping the water but no pump and filter jet !!!!!!! :mrgreen:

still happy with my poolbuild sofar songkhan is not so far away time for a sparkling party i hope with finished pool.

keep in touch
sjeng

Postby sjeng » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:00 pm

at last,
dont get nervous this is los, tomorrow, or after tomorrow.
finaly thing go to an end
ladder Home made by the local blacksmith who also made my entrance gate looks even better than the one you can buy and a lot cheaper (5000 thb).
DSC02298.JPG
ladder in place and tested (120 kg)

next action drive to udon to get the pump and filter a bit late but songkran is close so in a hurry for the kids waterparty.
this morning we installed pump and filter , pimphouse a bit small but dont have to dance inside.
as we chise a de filter with back wash capebillity dont have to service only turn the handle and backwash, 2 kg of de powder in the skimmer and off you go,
DSC02300.JPG
hayward superpump 1 hp and de filter 3620.

we have a 24 our showe and thunderstorm so the pool will be filled up in a few days. our own deepwell pump brings about 5 m3 an hour and the rain helps a lot so tomorrow the pool will be filled up when the pump is still alive.
DSC02301.JPG
piping in the pimphouse almost finished.

the professionals will say oeps no dubbel union,
another lesson learned DONT PUT THE INCOMING PIPES TO CLOSE TO THE WALL !!!! :shock: so quick to the shop and buy some smaller models.
if someone needs dubbel union a have 2 more left for special offer.

see you when the pool goes in full operational service
sjeng

Postby MGV12 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:14 pm

Fingers crossed for the start up! Chok dee

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby sjeng » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:41 am

happy ending
so songkraan was a hell off a poolparty, we finished just in time only the sundeck is not ready jet but the pool is in full operation about the total costs we stayed with 288.000 thb under the calculated budget.
DSC02321.JPG
almost done

we had some problems building our pool such as a moving formwork, problems rendering the concrete (have to do twice).
delay in delivering tiles, pump and filter, but now we can swim and swim and swimm. :D

would i do it again ?
sure but with the experience i have now i would build a free form pool with only sinterblocks and concrete no wooden formwork and concrete walls 15 cm one layer steel for the walls. we have a tremendes overkill on steel and concrete. at the end. my walls inclusife rendering and tiles are 35 cm as 20 could do also ,

the waterlevel is about 30 cm above the pool sundeck for several reasons, its easy to sit on, no frogs, snakes or what else creaping animals in the pool. and the pump is below the watersurface.

I am sure you can build even under 200.000 thb for a 65 m3 pool.

thanks to all the people who advised me one way or another, special to my belgian friend in Udon who was a big promotor and help to me.
<mod: removed inappropriate pic>
Attachments
costs swpool.pdf
costs
(136.13 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
sjeng

Postby geordie » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:57 am

well done maybe you might persuade a few others to go DIY with pools a brave decision but other than a couple of small hickups you did great and obviously got what "you" wanted seems unusual here ??
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby pattayapope » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:38 pm

Sjeng good job and well done you have saved probably 250 - 300,000 baht on what a pool company would charge. Hope you have many happy pool parties in the future and send me an invite when you have the "Team" over :lol: [*]
pattayapope

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:59 pm

I would also appreciate an invite if the team is there. :)
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

PreviousNext

Return to swimming pool