Salt water pool

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Salt water pool

Postby thaimic » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:01 am

Just converted my pool over to salt, and am so glad I did. ( I dragged my ass about this for 5 years!) The water feels, smells, even tastes so much better. Now I'll just buy salt instead of chlorine, so the salt chlorinator pays for itself over the course of several years. I went with a Zodiac Tri, as a friend did the same, and recommended it, and the company I used. They are called The Pool Doctors, they are in BKK and Pattaya. They fixed my friend's new pool, which had all kinds of problems, from improper switching, to chemical imbalances, and installed a salt chlorinator too. They were absolutely spot on in every way-professional and quick with info and pricing, the well trained and disciplined staff did the job quickly and efficiently, and even cleaned up after themselves! It was so nice to see a company here running like a well oiled machine, my hat's off to Gil, the boss. He even noticed that my 6 year old pool's grout needs redoing, and got a quote to me for that job next day. I only wish I could find that kind of efficiency and profficiency with other vendors here.
(links to comercial sites not per forum rules, PM poster if you need details mod)
thaimic

Re: Salt water pool

Postby jazzman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:59 am

The Zodiac Tri-Ph with automatic acid control is an excellent piece of equipment, and is backed up by superb after-sales service. In my opinion, the best on the market. There a re much cheaper salt water chlorinators available, but made in Chine, getting them serviced or obtaining replacement parts may prove to be extremely difficult.

Zodiac chlorinators with built-in pH control are available from fully accredited retail dealers from:
For pools up to 70 m3: from around ฿65,000.00
For pools up to 70 m3: from around ฿72,000.00
For pools up to 200 m3: from around ฿79,000.00
- Other retail outlets may offer lower prices but may not be able to provide an adequate guarantee and/or after-sales service.
- Other retail outlets may be offering this equipment for sale at excessively high prices.
For larger pools, a combination of standard units and a pH model is required; however, a fully commercial 'large-pool' system with separate digital controller and acid pump may be an appreciable economy - such as those manufactured by Hayward or Hanna. Units are available in Thailand, and again, generally only from accredited dealers and probably not from run-of-the-mill pool shops, and they really need to be installed by a professional who has the necessary expensive testing equipment.

AFAIK, Zodiac is the only company to manufacture a saltwater chlorinator with pH control as a built-in feature. Other Zodiac TRi series chlorinators can be up-graded with the addition of the internal pH module which includes a peristaltic pump, a sensor and a feed line with one-way valve for the acid tank to plumb into the pipework.

The Zodicac TRi-Pro, on the other hand, also has an additional sensor that detects the active chlorine level in your pool water. which allows the electrolytic cell to operate only when needed, based o the actual chlorine level, thus avoiding over chlorination and extending product life. Most saltwater chlorinators only produce chlorine after a period of trial-and-error setting-up to find and set the required automatic operation of the electrolysis cell.
AKAIK, the Zodiac TRi pH PRO is not yet available for the Thai market.

Also now available in Thailand are handy digital pH testers and other water testers. From only around ฿2,500.00 each, they are more expensive than the traditional 'blue box' test kits, but they are extremely accurate and will quickly outweigh the cost of constantly replacing the test kits (or buying refill dropper bottles) which are all the same but are being offered by pool retail outlets at any price between ฿ 250 and ฿ 650!
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby MGV12 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:39 am

jazzman wrote:
Also now available in Thailand are handy digital pH testers and other water testers.

These are a quantum leap over the basic test kits but the cleanliness of the glass probe is critical for an accurate reading. At least once a month soak it in dilute Hydrochloric acid or [more easily available] vinegar ... then rinse thoroughly in cold water.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Nawty » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:36 pm

Your experience with pool doctor varies greatly from mine.

They quoted from memory I think 1.2 mil for a pool I got built for circa 450k......they quoted some ridiculous figure for the pump shed....which already had 2 walls from memory......complete ripoff in my opinion.

By the way....i still have the quote somewhere, so can prove it along with the actual cost.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby jazzman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:40 pm

MGV12 wrote:
jazzman wrote:
Also now available in Thailand are handy digital pH testers and other water testers.

These are a quantum leap over the basic test kits but the cleanliness of the glass probe is critical for an accurate reading. At least once a month soak it in dilute Hydrochloric acid or [more easily available] vinegar ... then rinse thoroughly in cold water.

Most manufacturers (at least the established ones) recommend keeping the electrode moist in the cap. Some even ship with a tiny moist sponge in the cap. Possibly less adventurous than using vinegar or HCl is to use the proprietary fluid that can be purchased as an accessory. Not all instruments come with buffer, calibration, or preservation solutions, so it might be a good idea to order everything together. The better instruments have a replaceable electrode and cloth connector.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby jazzman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:26 pm

Nawty wrote:Your experience with pool doctor varies greatly from mine...

They quoted from memory I think 1.2 mil for a pool I got built for circa 450k......they quoted some ridiculous figure for the pump shed....which already had 2 walls from memory......complete ripoff in my opinion.

Your memory is correct.

Some pool shops don't know the difference between standard 90% TCCA pool Chlorine (trichlorisocyanuricacid) and pure Cyanuric Acid - order one, and chances are you'll get the other. Some pool shops also sell standard chemicals at ridiculously inflated prices - pH Plus and pH minus are a couple of examples with the prices ranging from around ฿400 to ฿890 for a 5 Kg bucket of exactly the same product, which if you know where, you can buy for ฿ 700 for a 25 Kg sack. One pool shop/company regularly supplies chlorine products at an apparent profit margin of around 500%, while the prices of a 25 Kg bag of salt varies around the country from ฿ 200 to ฿500. If you can buy your specially refined pool salt in large enough quantities (around 100 bags) you can get it for around ฿ 150, and if you live reasonably near Nakhon Ratchasima, Khon Kaen, or Udon Thani, the delivery will be free too.

So the message is clear, just as with building houses or installing photovolataic, it pays to shop around. A lot of products are now available in Thailand over the Internet - caveat emptor again, because sometimes you will definitely not receive what you expected. That said, for those of us who live far from pool shops, a reliable online pool shop could be a godsend. call them first before you order - and even then, even after confirming twice what you want by email, and twice again by phone, they will deliver something else; of course, it could be a genuine mistake - but with the original label stuck over? See my comment at viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3348
Attachments
IMG_4886.JPG
Sold as Cyanuric Acid
jazzman

Postby jazzman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:47 am

I would treat with caution the veracity of the eulogies made by thaimic. First off, it might have worked for him, but other people's experience may be extremely different, and secondly we're not supposed to spam for suppliers. I can guarantee that while there are some lousy pool firms around, there are some that in every way provide just as good a service as firms of good repute, and most likely at more reasonable prices for cost conscious clients. Good firms have a good, clear, concise web presence, and answer enquiries quickly and politely, although they may not always operate in your area. Some firms do not bother answering emails at all - makes you wonder how badly they want your business. Perhaps they are already making enough money on the real estate side of their operation if they have one.
jazzman

Return to swimming pool