How to build a fountain

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

How to build a fountain

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:06 am

Can someone please provide a run down of the process and approx costs of building a fountain such as this:

IMG_8067.JPG

Specifically I dont know about the water pump, lining for the concrete basin, how to top up the water (auto/manual), etc.

Thanks
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Re: How to build a fountain

Postby pattayapope » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:11 pm

Max

The one in the picture probably came as a set from either one of the roadside rock or garden centers, it is basicly a large shallow pot and a collection of smaller pots with a pump inside which drives the water up thru the fountain. The pump is a small submersible type which runs on 220 VAC, if you look carefully you can see the cable conduit at the back rim comming out and over the rim. I have not priced them but I guess they would cost somewhere between 3 to 5 K Baht.

You could make your own using one of the concrete septic tank rings and use the small stone tiles on the outside to make it look more natural, a friend did that and it turned out quite nice. To seal it you would need some of the liquid sealer added to the cement rendering, you could also preinstall a conduit for the power cable to make it look a little nicer. The water will not evapourate too quickly so I would just top it up with the garden house when necessary
pattayapope

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:07 am

pattayapope wrote:Max

The one in the picture probably came as a set from either one of the roadside rock or garden centers, it is basicly a large shallow pot and a collection of smaller pots with a pump inside which drives the water up thru the fountain. The pump is a small submersible type which runs on 220 VAC, if you look carefully you can see the cable conduit at the back rim comming out and over the rim. I have not priced them but I guess they would cost somewhere between 3 to 5 K Baht.

You could make your own using one of the concrete septic tank rings and use the small stone tiles on the outside to make it look more natural, a friend did that and it turned out quite nice. To seal it you would need some of the liquid sealer added to the cement rendering, you could also preinstall a conduit for the power cable to make it look a little nicer. The water will not evapourate too quickly so I would just top it up with the garden house when necessary

Thanks for that - will investigate. I like the look of something like this at the main driveway, just off to the right of the house. We did pop into a shop and they said a pump and piping for a small fountain was 20,000+, I smelt salty fish, so have to find some more shops.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby kknaj » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:03 pm

I've seen some nice waterfall type ones from around 5-10,000 baht up. A small one like that should be around 5k. Have a look around some more there are dome really nice ones around.

As pattayapope says they run of regular electricity plugs and are usually topped up yourself every now and then. I've had a small one in australia which had a baby pump but the bigger ones work the same.
kknaj

Postby domino » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:31 pm

max,sorry maybe to late now, look in global house ( i think you have one in CM), i am sure you can find a pump under 1.000 bath.... :wink:
domino

Waterfalls

Postby jazzman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:59 am

Superb waterfall effects are now available in Thailand. Generally designed for swimming pools, they will enhance any garden pond, and are available with built-in concealed LED lighting with changing colours. Prices start from around only฿5,000.00. They can operate from a low power spa pump - about 0.5 or 0.75 HP.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to swimming pool