automatic pool covers

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

automatic pool covers

Postby sakchai » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:57 am

I'm new to this forum. What a great site! I am pu-ying farang, saami pen khonThai. We will be building a pool when we move home to Salaya area (Putthamonton) from USA in about a year. Have a pool in northern US (Michigan) and use an automatic cover year-round i.e. to close the pool for the winter and as a solar/saftey cover in summer. Spent US $7000 12 years ago for it and without a doubt it was worth every penny! Really saves on weekly cleaning, heating costs and chemicals in the summer. Can't imagine having a pool without one. Anyone have a similar cover in LOS or know where I can get one?
sakchai

Re: automatic pool covers

Postby fredlk » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:49 am

sakchai wrote:Anyone have a similar cover in LOS or know where I can get one?

I had one on my pool in Holland and I needed it to keep the heat in, but in Thailand I haven't seen one being used and I don't see the need apart from the safety aspect.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:10 am

sakchai,
Yes, most of the "farang" pool builders here either have the covers or know where to get them and they won't cost you $7,000. When you are closer to building one please feel free to contact me (through Dozer) and by then you should see my own indoor pool finished, to give you an idea about the quality.
Roger Ramjet

Postby sakchai » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:14 pm

Thank you for the replies! I agree we shouldn't need it for heating the pool but it really saves on chemical use because there is no significant evaporation or sun exposure while it's covered and it keeps out all the leaves, dirt, debris, etc. (I only vaccuum once a month and we use the pool pretty much daily in the summer, but it's covered when we're not in it). This in turn allows your filter medium (Sand, DE or whatever) to last longer between washings or replacing. I am paricularly interested in the type of automatic cover that runs along a track with a rope-pulley mechanism. Oh yeah one more thing--we haven't had any dead rodents or frogs in the pool since we got the cover either. Hate that....
sakchai

Postby jazzman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:46 am

Pool covers are expensive, don't kid yourself that it will save you that much money on chemicals. if you want to save money on chemicals, consider getting a saltwater chorinator for the same price as a cover.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby sakchai » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:56 pm

Gotcha, Jazzman. Thanks for the tip.
One more question:
What experiences has anyone had with pools while away? Does pretty much everyone have a pool service that maintains it for you when you're not there? We will likely return to the US every year to visit for a few months, at least while my Mom is still alive. I am imagining all manner of debris accumulating in the bottom awaiting our return. As far as maintaining appropriate water levels during our time away, I assume auto flow systems are available there just like in US? I think I saw reference to this sort of thing in CTH forum, yes?
sakchai

Postby jazzman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:09 pm

Modern pool systems are designed to be kept running. There a re a lot of complaints on these pages that pumps consume too much electricity. My answer to that is don't buy a Mercedes if you can't afford the gas it will guzzle. Anyone consideriing investing 3/4 million baht or more in a pool should clearly be able to afford the 1,000 - 1,500 baht a month on the electricity bill - particularly if they can afford to regularly fly back and forth between LOS and their home country.

Pool service providers are a known scam. Avoid them generally at all cost if their price is much more than 1,000 baht a month for a weekly visit (a bit more if they include the chemicals, but best is to buy them yourself). Remember that if all they do is:

• Check the Cl and add chlorine if necessary
  • Check the pH and add acid if necessary
  • [list=]Check the clarity and add algaecide and/or clarifier if necessary
  • Skim the muck of the water surface
  • Vacuum the pool floor
  • Backwash the filter

it's less than an hour's work - that's at a Thai salary of about 250 baht per day.

You could probably train someone yourself to do these incredibly easy tasks, and if you have a saltwater chlorinator of the type that has a built-in pool management system, you put on it's 'winterisation' programme while you are away,

If you have a balance tank system rather than a skimmer system, the pool level is automatically maintained and also compensated for overfilling during heavy rain.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby sakchai » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:41 am

Yes I agree with you about the simplicity of the tasks involved in weekly pool maintenance as I do them myself at home now. Don't have any issue with the costs of maintaining a pool but needed info as to the best way to go about it given that we will be absent a few months out of the year--which you have kindly provided--Thanks!. :)
sakchai

Postby jazzman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:28 am

Of course, the other solution is simply to empty the pool while you are away. A refill of water for the average domestic sized pool will only be 4,000 - 6,000 baht, roughly about the same as the electricity bill if you had been away for 4 - 6 months and left everything running.
jazzman

Postby jessica » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:44 am

jazzman wrote:Pool covers are expensive, don't kid yourself that it will save you that much money on chemicals. if you want to save money on chemicals, consider getting a saltwater chorinator for the same price as a cover.

You need pool covers not just for saving chemicals but with this you can stop or slows down evaporating pool water. Evaporating can happen every day if the pool is not covered. It can also reduce heat loss. For a swimming pool that relies on the sun for heat, covering it at night can still make it warm enough to swim in the next day, instead of losing all the heat overnight when the temperatures go down. You don’t have to buy the most expensive pool cover to notice a difference: lower-cost vinyl and solar covers will still keep the water warm. Pool covers also use for covering purposes to prevent or avoid unwanted stuffs and debris.
jessica

Postby daisy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:01 am

I have been shopping around for a reasonable pool cover. I live in a climate that does get cold in the winters. I am trying to decide if vinyl or solar would be the best choice for my pool. Considering we only use our pool about four to five months out of the year, I need something that is pretty heavy duty.
daisy

Postby romniE1 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:42 am

I totally agree with you on the benefits of having a pool cover. There are actually more benefits of having one covering your pool. Just check out (links to comercail sites not allowed per forum rules mod) to learn about other pros. I don't think you will be able to find an automatic one in Thailand. Have you considered ordering one in the US and shipping it to Thailand? I never calculated how much it would cost but if you need one so bad .... and money is not a problem, maybe that is something you should consider doing? Just my two cents.
romniE1

Postby jazzman » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:22 am

The message above contains disallowed link spam. <link removed - mod> That said, the company in question states: At this time, we do not ship Internationally or to any other US territories.. Some members of this board have already investigated the possibilities of shipping covers from abroad and find that the cost is disproportionally high. Further web searches may provide suppliers located here in Thailand, but the call for covers is relatively low. As the cost of water is low in Thailand (about ฿400 - 500 to fill a medium sized domestic pool), during long absences from the house, the best solution is to empty the pool. This will save not only on chemicals, but also on electricty costs for the pump.
jazzman

Postby jazzman » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:38 pm

I'll just qualify a couple of my messages to avoid any confusion:

The cost of water in my message of Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:28 am of ฿ 4,000 - 5,000 is for water if brought by tanker. This is generally only necessary if there is no mains water available and you use a well. However, be absolutely sure that the water is brought directly from a nearby mainswater holding tank or water tower. I have known tanker drivers to take the money, promise clean, treated water, then followed them discretely on a motorcycle and watched them filling up with water from a reservoir, a river, or a filthy klong. If the water is so cloudy that you can't see the bottom of the pool through 30cm of water, don't accept any more of it - it will cost you another ฿3,000 in clarifier to get it clear.

Mainswater from the tap is very cheap and it's worth waiting three days for the pool to fill up.
jazzman

Return to swimming pool