Running costs of a pool?

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Running costs of a pool?

Postby Maseratimartin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:32 pm

It would be interesting to get some feedback of running costs for an average pool.

Just had a talk with a friend who removed his pool in BKK as it caused around 5000 bath electrical costs each month with 8hours running the pumps each day...

As I also plan to include a pool in our new project next year I want to go in the details....I don't want to go bankrupt as soon I retire because of a pool .

I'm now thinking of eliminating such costs with solar power to run the pumps....somebody out there who did it already?

How much KW does a pump have with an average pool size...lets say 8 x 5 x 1,5m ...so 60m3 water?
Maseratimartin

Re: Running costs of a pool?

Postby jazzman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:38 am

The answers are all in the long introduction I wrote to pool construction. there a re also about 60 pool websites that will tell you  how to calculate what you need to know. In short, this is a very small pool and all you need is a 1 Kw pump, although a 1.5 Kw pump wold be better. The price difference is negligible and you should be able to get a quality 1 Kw pump from Baht 13,800, or a 1.5 Kw pump from Baht 15,800. The pump will run for a minimum of 6 hours per day, so that is 180 Kw per month for a 1 Kw pump or 270 Kw per month for a 1.5 Kw pump. Find out the cost of your electricty per 1 Kw unit from you electricity bill. For example, I pay Baht 3.68 per unit including fixed fee and tax. So work it out:

1 Kw pump per month Baht 662.40
2 Kw pump per month Baht 993.60

The bottom line is, if, you can afford to buy a pool, you are not worried about the running costs.
Your friend's pool must have been huge. Did he own a hotel?
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby pattayapope » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:55 am

Martin

My monthly electric bill is around 3,000 baht of which at lease half of that is for pool as I have not moved in yet so Jazzmans figures are would say are minimum and don't forget the chemicals and cleaning ect. I figure my pool costs me 5000 baht a month, it is 10 * 5 Infinity edge with saltwater cholrinater.

hope this helps
pattayapope

Postby jazzman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:35 pm

I was asked about the electric, that's what I answered - I can't change the cost of electricity or the size of a correctly matched pool pump to suit the budget of the enquirer for a specific pool size. If the chemicals are costing that much, you are being either ripped off, or not looking at your water tester properly. If you really need that much, get a salt water chlorinator (cost of a good one with fully computerised automatic pool management, and 4-year guarantee, from about Baht 40,000, and it will have paid for itself in 12 months and thereafter your chemicals are free, and your maintence drops 90%.

And BTW: If you use manually added chlorine, for a pool your size it will cost about 350 - 550 baht per month. But you will need to be very careful where you buy your chlorine tablets or granules to get it at that price.
Every week I get asked how much a pool costs and how much one costs to run. They are only kicking the tires, they can't afford one really. Final proverb:
Don't buy a Mercedes, if you can't afford the diesel it will guzzle :wink:
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby pattayapope » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:05 am

My pool has a saltwater chlorinator (aquarite) the basis of my estimated monthly cost as follows

Electric - 1500 Baht
Pool Service - 2000 Baht
Chemicals - 300 Baht
Contingency for any major repairs -1200

The contingency may be a bit high but better to have allowed for it in monthly pool cost.
pattayapope

Postby jazzman » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:46 pm

Something doesn't gel there Patayapope.

What's the 2,000 baht 'service'?
What are the additional chemicals for 300 baht?
What's this contingency money?

Electricity consumption could be about right - see my estimates above.
jazzman

Postby pattayapope » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:42 am

Jazzman

I pay a pool service company 2000 baht per month to come and clean the pool they come between 8 to 10 times per month (twice weekly), I could do it myself but too lazy as I work 5 days a week.

Chemicals that I have used in first six months

Salt = 1 bag in six months = 600 baht
Acid = 2 containers in six months = 800 baht
Algicide = 1/3 container in six months = 450 baht
Clear pool = 1/3 container in six months = 450 baht
Cynuric acid = None used at present but expect to use at some point = 1 container = 1500 baht

Contingency is for any other repairs or maintenance, for example change filter media in sand filter every year (cost?). Pool furniture I have two tables with umbrallas, six chairs and two loungers all with soft cussions, they are coated with teak oil and this will need to be reapplied every year (cost 1000 baht for oil), also the cussions and umbrellas will not last for ever, I would expect to replace the umbrellas every two years (cost 1800 baht) and the cussions every three years (cost 5200 baht). The sand wash will also probably need acid cleaning at some point (cost?) and any other repairs or replacements for cleaning equipment, pump or chlorine generator over the life of the pool. These costs are related to having a pool so that is why I have estimated a contingency of 12000 baht

Hope this answers your question
pattayapope

Postby pattayapope » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:09 am

Jazzman

One other thing, the pool service company wanted 2500 baht\month if they supplied the chemicals, I live 20 Km outside of town so it is hard to negotiate a better deal as not many pools in area. I chose to supply the chemicals as I thought it would be cheaper in the long run.

You are right pools can be expensive to keep up and some people don't really understand all the hidden costs associated with having one.
pattayapope

Postby Maseratimartin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:39 am

Thanks for the many infos...

Yes it is possible to just believe the many pool builders about running costs....but they want to sell you a pool...the possibility that you ever will buy a second one are low, so they will not really care about what it really costs you to maintain it!
That's why I wanted feedback from users...and I appreciate the good info!

Actually my friend had a quite smal pool with a waterfall and the pump was running each day 8 hours and he is now 5000 bath lower in electric costs after removing the pool....without any calculation a easy figure....

For me is now clear that only a salt water clorinator (fully automatic)is the right way...the pump will get it's own solar supply...and I will clean my pool myself...

It is not about you can afford or not....but the best way to earn money is to not waste it where you can easy safe! Second who knows how the costs for electric power develops?

Then I don't know why you (pattayapope) count in the pool furniture to the pool costs....so if you would not have a pool you would sitt on the floor? :roll:

Some further issues I'm thinking about...and appreciate any ideas:
A nice way to create shadow and eventually rain protection to a pool....
Trees are not really clever near the pool to create shadow.
Especially in the rain season the big amount of rain water creates a problem to the water quality.
I like to swim for example 1 hour to keep me fitt....this directly under the sun will turn me soon in a red lobster...
Keeping the water temperature as low as possible...I don't want to take a bath...more a refreshing jump in a well temperatured pool...

For the moment I intend to go for a sail tensioned by steel wires at least over a part of the pool....triangle style....maybe it needs one pole....
I do not really come from a place where pools were common (germany), so I'm wondering if somebody has there some good idea...
Maseratimartin

Postby fredlk » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:55 am

Maseratimartin wrote:I do not really come from a place where pools were common (germany), so I'm wondering if somebody has there some good idea...

For the sun, but not for the rain this would be my choice:
2znscaw.jpg.jpeg

Solarshade-and-privacy-louvres-from-Sunlite-Australia.jpg.jpeg
Solarshade-and-privacy-louvres-from-Sunlite-Australia.jpg.jpeg (65.23 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
fredlk

Postby pattayapope » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Then I don't know why you (pattayapope) count in the pool furniture to the pool costs....so if you would not have a pool you would sitt on the floor?

Martin, in my case the pool is a separate feature to the house, in the other areas I have other furnature, hence no pool no furniture in that location. I was only trying to point out that electricity is not the only cost involved in owning a pool.

As always Fred has some cool designs, you could use coloured acrylic sheets they come in length up to 6 meters to get over the rain problem, there is also a company in Bangkok who can make quite impressive tent type covers I will try and find the website.

Interested to know more on the solar water pump, I would be supprized if you can get a system to do what you need at a resonable price.
pattayapope

Postby fredlk » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:03 pm

pattayapope wrote:you could use coloured acrylic sheets they come in length up to 6 meters to get over the rain problem

At http://www.tngroup-th.com/product.php?val=polycarbonate&lang= they have this double-layered sheeting which should lessen the heat build-up underneath.

polycarbonate_12.jpg
polycarbonate_12.jpg (45.19 KiB) Viewed 2656 times

P1000580.jpg
fredlk

Postby Maseratimartin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi Pattayapope, I saw the photos of your project....nice....congrats....
How deep is your pool and do you have any problems due to your pool is complete open....full sunshine....?

Yeah and Fred the sun louvres are not bad....will sure fitt great to your house.
I see at the moment that my planed design drifts more and more from traditional to modern.....
The carpark gets slowly a garage with Glasfront to the pool area....so that I can see my ride...

It is easy to design one single part of a project....but that finally all fitts together is a real challange...

The polycarbonate sheets are something what I do not really like....

Regarding the solar solution for the pool pump....solar panels are getting more affordable every day and finally it is only a question of how many panels you combine....some fuses, a transformer and finish!(sorry I'm mechanical engineer and for details I will use my associate who is mechanical engineer!)
There will be a solution, but do not expect it so soon.....I will definatly start end of February, but the pool will be the last task!
Maseratimartin

Postby pattayapope » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:11 pm

Martin

The pool is 1.3 meters at the shallow end and 1.6 meters at the deep end, to be honest as I have not moved in yet I can't really say but for me it is more of a late afternoon place. It has flooded over a couple of times in heavy rains we have had over the last month or so and it is a bit warm in the hot season but OK in the evening. The pool and deck area cost 800,000 baht which seems to be in line with the prices charged in the area, it is an infinity edge pool and I have salt system chlorinater and Jacuzzi in the corner. The pool lights are LED and have several different patterns.

On the solar panel side I will tell you what I know, the large panels are typically 100 watt output and give up to 32 volts DC, these are fed into a charge controler and then the battery bank. If you want an AC supply you will need an inverter and these can be quite costly. The pumps I have pull about 6.2 A but the starting current is much higher. Althoug solar power is free it has a very high startup cost, a friend lving on a lake in Kanchaburi has a system and he has spent well over 1 million baht on it and replaces 5 batteries every year minimum. He has power for appliances and fans but cannot run any AC units and he uses LPG fired water heaters.
pattayapope

Postby fredlk » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:25 pm

pattayapope wrote:The pool lights are LED and have several different patterns.

Are you satisfied with them? Do they give a good light? I was not sure if they were powerful enough for under water.
fredlk

Next

Return to swimming pool