terrazzo swimming pools

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: terrazzo swimming pools

Postby fredlk » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:40 am

I think I have all my answers now based on the above explanations and experience.
I am hoping for my whites to stay white - unlike when I do the washing :lol: - and so I think that this might be yet another reason for me to NOT use it for my swimming pool.
I will be going for this effect (also in Phuket):
merit_villa.jpg.jpeg

Thanks to all of you.
fredlk

Postby grant » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:48 am

fredlk wrote:I think I have all my answers now based on the above explanations and experience.
I am hoping for my whites to stay white - unlike when I do the washing :lol: - and so I think that this might be yet another reason for me to NOT use it for my swimming pool.
I will be going for this effect (also in Phuket):
merit_villa.jpg.jpeg

Thanks to all of you.

It's a beautiful looking pool but good luck with keeping it white. It will be a real challenge here unless you do all the pool maintenance yourself :D
grant

Postby fredlk » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:05 am

grant wrote:... good luck with keeping it white. It will be a real challenge here unless you do all the pool maintenance yourself :D

The pool in my build will be at house level and plants and flowers will be forbidden up there.
That way I hope to solve the problem of too many excess leaves and some of the airborne sand and soil.

I plan to employ a Kreepy Krauly for the daily maintenance, but I suppose I have to admit now that I have been warned. :)
fredlk

Postby Nawty » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:09 am

Buy a very strong scrubbing brush, buy 12 actually, 1 for each month and a goggle and snorkel. In fact some scuba gear would be better.

Good luck.

But does look nice.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby fredlk » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:49 am

Nawty wrote:Buy a very strong scrubbing brush, buy 12 actually, 1 for each month and a goggle and snorkel. In fact some scuba gear would be better.

I was thinking of letting my neighbours, the Royal Thai Navy's diving team, use my pool for practice ... and clean it while they're at it. :idea:
fredlk

Postby christopher » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:32 pm

I have a 10,000liter terrazzo pool in which the PH rises from 7,5 to 8,0 every day The total alacalinity is between 80 to 100
I have been told that the reason for the increasing PH may be the Terazzo. Does anyone else have a similar problem?
christopher

Postby fredlk » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:36 pm

christopher wrote:I have a 10,000liter terrazzo pool .....

I know this is not answering your question and I don't think I know the answer, but where are you writing from?
Would you mind posting a photo of your pool?
Maybe Grant has an answer for you as he seems to be the only other person here with a terrazzo pool.
fredlk

Postby grant » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:44 pm

christopher wrote:I have a 10,000liter terrazzo pool in which the PH rises from 7,5 to 8,0 every day The total alacalinity is between 80 to 100
I have been told that the reason for the increasing PH may be the Terazzo. Does anyone else have a similar problem?

I use an ionization/oxidation system in my pool with no chlorine so my pH needs to be in the range of 6.8 - 7.2. When I first started up the system 9 months ago, I was having the same problem with rising pH and had to add acid every day. This is a common problem for gunite, concrete and terrazzo pools and after a lot of research on the web, the general consensus is that it can take 6-12 months for the pool's pH to stabilize. My pool is 106,000 liters and I now add about 800 ml of acid two to three times per week to keep the pH below 7.2, about half of what I was adding in the beginning. Other than adding calcium once a month, that's the only maintenance required apart from cleaning.
grant

Postby old_expat » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:19 pm

I love terrazzo floors and always thought they were extremely durable, until a couple of days ago. I stayed overnight in a newish apartment building in Korat Town .. the Ratchadakorn Mansion. I was admiring the terrazzo floors and noticed a blemish spot about the size of a tennis ball. It was apparently made by condensate leaking from the air con.

The leak had eroded the surface more than a mm deep and was absorbing water. The surface was obviously rough.

Was the mix probably wrong? Wrong sealer applied?
old_expat

Postby grant » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:27 pm

old_expat wrote:I love terrazzo floors and always thought they were extremely durable, until a couple of days ago. I stayed overnight in a newish apartment building in Korat Town .. the Ratchadakorn Mansion. I was admiring the terrazzo floors and noticed a blemish spot about the size of a tennis ball. It was apparently made by condensate leaking from the air con.

The leak had eroded the surface more than a mm deep and was absorbing water. The surface was obviously rough.

Was the mix probably wrong? Wrong sealer applied?

Many Thai contractors do not bother to seal terrazzo but simply buff it up with a coat of wax to make it look good. Wax does act as a temporary sealant but not a very good one and it needs to be reapplied frequently. Adding a floor hardener and a sealant is the best way to preserve and protect terrazzo.
grant

Previous

Return to swimming pool