Some Pool Stuff

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Some Pool Stuff

Postby John » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:24 pm

Some Pool Pics Here

And a few words about Gunite -

Gunite is the trade name for a concrete praying process invented a while back. It?s a dry process which means the mix is delivered through the pipe dry and the water added before discharge.

Wet processes send the completed wet mix through the delivery pipe.

Its obvious why these systems are so useful as they allow low hydrated concrete to be applied in awkward places around almost any shape.
John

Re: Some Pool Stuff

Postby Attila » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:57 pm

John wrote:Some Pool Pics Here

Gunite is the trade name for a concrete praying process invented a while back. It?s a dry process which means the mix is delivered through the pipe dry and the water added before discharge.

Its obvious why these systems are so useful as they allow low hydrated concrete to be applied in awkward places around almost any shape.

Can they do Gunite here in LOS?

And the pool in the pics, how big is it?
Did you build it yourself, or did you use a company?
Costs?
Attila

Postby cruzing » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:25 pm

John wrote:Some Pool Pics Here

Was this gunite done here?? Is there still more to be sprayed on in the second picture?? In the states when I've seen it done, they spray on the gunite all at one time and it is a smooth finish when they're done.

I really like the gunite finish because you don't have all those grout lines for algae to grab hold.

Cruzing
cruzing

Postby runker » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:15 pm

Great for skating in also, who needs the water :D
runker

skating

Postby cruzing » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:12 am

runker wrote:Great for skating in also, who needs the water :D

Ah!!!!!!Another misplaced California boy! Are ya still stylin'.

My husband dresses like a CA skateboarder, maybe that's why we get stares when we''re out. :?

oops!! off topic.

cruzing
cruzing

Postby John » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:38 pm

Attila wrote:Can they do Gunite here in LOS?

And the pool in the pics, how big is it?
Did you build it yourself, or did you use a company?
Costs?

Concrete spraying is available in Thailand but I have yet to see them using it on a pool. I spotted some guys repairing a concrete bridge support in Bangkok with wet spray.

The pool is around 8x5M

Supervised construction

Cost around 200kB pump filter and bits cost 80k +

I have a kidney shaped pool construction to monitor when I return to LOS next week. I am planning to take a full set of pics for this one as its a Thai design from a guy who is supposed to be an expert.
John

Kidney shaped swimmingpool

Postby Wizard » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:57 pm

Hello John,

I am planning to build kidney shaped swimmingpool also, my question is if you have construction (techniqual) drawings and a list of ingredients ?

Can't wait to see you pictures...

Thanks in advance,

Rody
Once your house will be ready, then you can sit back and relax...after a year of 2 you will think "Why did I built it in the first place?".
Wizard

Re: Kidney shaped swimmingpool

Postby John » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:33 pm

Wizard wrote:Hello John,

I am planning to build kidney shaped swimmingpool also, my question is if you have construction (techniqual) drawings and a list of ingredients ?

Can't wait to see you pictures...

Thanks in advance,

Rody

Don?t have any drawings for this kidney shaped pool as its all being done by a pool contractor. The digging starts in a few days and I return to LOS next Tuesday so hopefully I can capture the whole process in detail. I am interested in seeing how their spec for reinforcing and wall thickness compares to mine.

I am no pool expert but what I have learnt and built to date has all been done from U.S. derived information. What the Americans don?t know about constructing private swimming pools isn?t worth knowing.

The pool shown in my initial post is constructed - 400mm walls/base of steel reinforced concrete. 9mm (3/8") ribbed rebar grid at 200mm spacing and is interconnected by turning the base bars up into the side walls and overlapping the side wall bars at each corner.
John

Return to swimming pool