pond

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

pond

Postby harry+ratchanee » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:53 pm

hi
hope this I've posted in right place!??
Looking to build cool place inland from Hua Hin with my Thai partner Ratchanee in a couple of years.
We would love to build a " modern " single floor house on pillars with traditional Thai-style roof. Grow some friut, veg and raise a few chickens! LOL Nice quite life. Get away from UK rat-run!!
Have a question if anyone can help, would like to dig out large pond. Apart from plastic liners, what can we use to waterproof?? Here in UK can be lined with clay, any ideas???
Great site-will take a couple of years to read it all !!
Harry+Ratchanee
Attachments
my cool thai house.jpg
my cool thai house
my cool thai house.jpg (46.78 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
harry+ratchanee

Re: pond

Postby geordie » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:59 pm

i have not heard of anyone lining a pond usually diggin a hole is enough but dependant on location how deep is the water table and a lot of the ground is clay anyway most farmers have what they call a tank dug with a large backhoe seems to work for them
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby harry+ratchanee » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:45 am

Hi
thanks for information Geordie
just need to find out what a large backhoe is ??
If as you say alot of the land could be clay hopefully should be ok
harry+ratchanee
harry+ratchanee

Postby geordie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:54 am

sorry large mechanical shovel/jcb ect i would be inclined to look at ajacent properties as regards the water table and be aware like the seasons it changes option two dig a deep hole untill it start to fill with water naturally watch it for a year and see where the levels are get some idea if cost wise its feasable i watched them remove dirt near me at chayaphum to a depth of 14 ft in december and it was dry certainly not a good spot for a pond
geordie

Postby dozer » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:32 pm

The ponds I have seen were 'poured' with concrete with a water proofing additive. CPAC will add a water proofer for a nominal fee (about 50 baht per cubic meter).

In addition there is an additional water proofing material which can be applied to the surface which is sold at Homeworks. I don't have a brand name, but the same stuff used for sealing a flat roof can be used.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby harry+ratchanee » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:48 pm

Hi
thanks Dozer for information, any idea what thickness of concrete would be needed ??
Great site, just waiting for housing market in Uk to go back up !! Hopefully over the next couple of years !!
Trying to learn as much as possible before we come out.
harry+ratchanee
harry+ratchanee

Postby dozer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:06 am

It all depends on the volume of water that will be in the pond....eg. the overall size. I would guess a minimum would be 10 centimeters re-enforced with 6mm (2 hun) rebar framework.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby geordie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:55 am

i must of got the wrong end of the stick on this one i was anticipating a more natural looking pond on a larger scale sorry something to consider when building a pond brought to my attention is the water table it can apparently lift the pond out of the ground(floatation) i understand it happens a lot with fiberglass ponds in areas with a high water table and has been known to do the same with swimming pools when the water level is left low

i cannot do links but look at big rocks ie go to the search menu on the coolhouse page at the top and type in big rocks it shows a pond in construction
geordie

Return to swimming pool