Building a swimming pool

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Swimming Pool

Postby Boon Mee » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:57 pm

fdimike wrote:Thaimic have you considered using a Salt Water Pool Chlorinator instead? Similar results to the ozone generator can be achieved. These systems are a bit pricey (about 75,000 baht) but you no longer have to purchase chlorine. Salt untilization is extremely low once the correct level is achieved. Typical salt levels are less than contained in human tears.

Regards
Mike

As I understand it tho, the salt water chlorinators and related equipment are not too common as yet in Thailand?
The reason I may go with equipment that's readily available locally.
Boon Mee

Swimming Pool

Postby fdimike » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:13 pm

Boon Mee Salt Water Generators are available from nearly evry pool supplier. I am installing one which my pool filter contractor is purchasing through the PAT Corp in Bangkok. However, we obtained estimates from 3 different pool filter contractors and all offerred one of these devices.

Mike
fdimike

re:salt water chlorinator

Postby thaimic » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:09 am

Mike,
I wonder if your an Americano, as we are certainly on the same wavelength. I have an appt. with a company to discuss their salt water chlorinator on Monday! They are poolshopthailand.com, in Hua Hin, sell a SWC made by Poolrite, an Australian company. For my 64,000 litre pool, if my math is correct, the price is B38,000. Don't know yet all the extras needed with that, but certain there will be more to be, always is. Will post more info on that when I have it.
I really wanted to go the Ozonator route as I just purchased well more than 100 rai of land in Cha Am, and wanted to use Ozonation to purefy the well water. Wanted the pool to be the practice run for that. Maybe I cannot "kill two birds with one stone", alas. Still talking with the manufacturers of Ozonators in Thailand. Will keep you posted on that, too. Thanks for your thoughts Mike. Here's a good fact site on salt water chlorination:
http://www.poolplaza.com/C-Salt-Chlorinators.html
Aloha all, M
thaimic

Swimming Pool

Postby fdimike » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:33 am

Yes Thaimic I am an American living in Udon Thani. Our pool is 17meters long by 7 meters wide with a slope of .5M (shallow end) to 2M (deep end). I don't recall the total liters at the moment. The system we are installing is an automatic one which will not only control the chlorine content but also turn the system on and off. The price tag is 75,000B.

FYI We had a spa (hot tub) in Florida before moving here to Thailand in which we used Ozone. The system worked great but longevity of the bulb/ballast was not too great. We ran the ozonator along with the filter 2x/day for 1.5 hours each time. Had to replace the ozonator bulb/ballast about evry 1 1/2 years.

I think you may have some problems trying to utilize an ozonator to purify your well water depending on how much you plan to draw and use from the well. I assume you will pump the well water to a holding tank and then apply the ozone. I think the problem will revolve around how you plan to imput the ozone let it sit and still draw water from the tank.

An ozonator in the spa works well because you never draw any water from the spa consequently the ozone is constantly treating the same water. Same appies to a pool.

Just some thought.

Thanks for the website. I'll check it out.

Mike
fdimike

cleaning that water for pool, home, etc

Postby thaimic » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:57 am

Mike, That old uv bulb Ozonation technology was pricey with the bulb/ballast replacement. The new CD (corona discharge) technology much more cost effective, the electrodes last 3-5 times longer than those bulbs, are cheaper to replace.
My idea for treating the well water is a large holding tank to connect the ozonator to. The math, as I understand it, is thus: 5 grams of O3,(Ozone) is needed per hour to purify 60,000 litres. Here's a white paper on Ozone generation for water treatment for all you rocket scientists( which does not include me, I'm hung like Einstein, and smart as a mule): http://www.ozomax.com/documents/capabilities.pdf
For everything you want to know about water disinfecting, and more, check out the EPA's white paper at http://www.ozomax.com/documents/new-pdf ... idance.pdf
In order to know whether an Ozone generator will work for you, you need to know the C-T Values (Concentration-Time). Here's a chart for some of the nasties that you want to kill in your water:
Table I. Summary of concentration?time (C-t) value ranges (expressed as mg-min/L)
for 99% inactivation of various microorganisms by chemical disinfectants at 5oC.
Free Chlorine Performed Chloramine Chlorine Dioxide Ozone
(pH 6?7) (pH 8?9) (pH 6?7) (pH 6?7)
E. coli 0.034?0.05 95?180 0.4?0.75 0.02
poliovirus type I 1.1?2.5 768?3,740 0.2?6.7 0.1?0.2
rotavirus 0.01?0.05 3,806?6,476 0.2?2.1 0.006?0.06
G. lamblia cysts 47?150 - - 0.5?0.6
G. muris cysts 30?630 - 7.2?18.5 1.8?2.0
G. muris cysts, one of the more difficult to kill, requires 1.8 milligram of Ozone per 2 minute per litre of water. That's 54 mg of O3 per hour per Litre. So If my water usage is 500 litres/day, my O3 generator will have to produce 27000 milligrams, or 27 grams per day to kill G.muris. in all the water I use. Small O3 generators can easily handle that.
To justify this waxing prolific in the pool section, my pool is app 64,000 Litres. So a small O3 generator producing 5 grams of O3 per hour would clean my pool easily over a single day, when you take into account the residual life of O3 in the water being 30 minutes. I think...
There's a company call Delozone, in San Luis Obispo, that makes an O3 generator and salt water chlorinator, all in one. They have an up-to-date Corona Discharge technology, too.
M
thaimic

Re: Swimming Pool

Postby Boon Mee » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:47 am

fdimike wrote:Boon Mee Salt Water Generators are available from nearly evry pool supplier. I am installing one which my pool filter contractor is purchasing through the PAT Corp in Bangkok. However, we obtained estimates from 3 different pool filter contractors and all offerred one of these devices.

Mike

That's good news Mike - was laboring under some misinformation then. I'm two years plus from starting my pool and 'am generating a list of equipment(s) I should bring back in my household shipment that will be more expensive in Thailand.
Boon Mee

Re: re:salt water chlorinator

Postby cruzing » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:42 pm

thaimic wrote:Mike, I wonder if your an Americano, as we are certainly on the same wavelength. I have an appt. with a company to discuss their salt water chlorinator on Monday! They are poolshopthailand.com, in Hua Hin, sell a SWC made by Poolrite, an Australian company.

We've met two of the foreign owners of that pool shop you're going to. Gary is also a builder there around Hua Hin. If we had decided to build around Hua Hin, probably would have used Gary for any water or pool filtering systems.

fdimike wrote:Boon Mee Salt Water Generators are available from nearly evry pool supplier. I am installing one which my pool filter contractor is purchasing through the PAT Corp in Bangkok. However, we obtained estimates from 3 different pool filter contractors and all offerred one of these devices.

Mike

Our automatic gate opener and our large filtering system for our well come from P.A.T. http://PratooAutanomaTi.com/index.html I believe they get their pool filtering systems from the same company in Australia that the company in Hua Hin does http://www.waterco.com
Web address for swimming pool equipment from PAT http://www.srawainum.com/
web address for water filter system from PAT http://www.waterco-W300.com/

cruzing
cruzing

Re: re:salt water chlorinator

Postby Boon Mee » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:56 pm

cruzing wrote:
thaimic wrote:Mike, I wonder if your an Americano, as we are certainly on the same wavelength. I have an appt. with a company to discuss their salt water chlorinator on Monday! They are poolshopthailand.com, in Hua Hin, sell a SWC made by Poolrite, an Australian company.

We've met two of the foreign owners of that pool shop you're going to. Gary is also a builder there around Hua Hin. If we had decided to build around Hua Hin, probably would have used Gary for any water or pool filtering systems.

Mike

Our automatic gate opener and our large filtering system for our well come from P.A.T. http://PratooAutanomaTi.com/index.html I believe they get their pool filtering systems from the same company in Australia that the company in Hua Hin does http://www.waterco.com
Web address for swimming pool equipment from PAT http://www.srawainum.com/
web address for water filter system from PAT http://www.waterco-W300.com/

cruzing

Thanks for the good info., cruzing. :)
Boon Mee

Re: Ozoneators

Postby Peter H » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:25 pm

thaimic wrote:In reading up on the many ozone generators for pools, it seems like a great idea. Reducing the chlorine smell, burning eyes from prolonged swimming, and overall chlorine consumption are all results much desired. I've come up with these thoughts: How much ozone is generated will determine it efficacy in cleaning your pool. Robin T's math is sound, and I agree. With the UV lamp style of Ozonator, it will take a long time to treat all of your pool's water a single time. That's not to say the Ozonator isn't helping, but should perhaps be used in in addition to chlorine. The UV lamps have to be replaced after so many thousands of hours of usage, many I've looked at to be replaced after 9,000 hours. Usind the Ozonator 16 hours a day means replacement after 562 days, less than two years.
There's another kind of Ozone generator, the CD, or Corona Discharge, type. This uses an electrical current to charge air, is explained here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona_discharge
This type of system produces a great deal more ozone quicker, as I understand it, yet seems to require 10 times less power than the uv light type, relative to the amount of Ozone it produces. In these machines, the electrodes and power supply have to be replaced somethiing like every 15,000 hours, or, with 16 hours per day of usage, every 937 days. Sounds perfect, right? Well, like life, the catch is if the air the CD Ozone generator is electrically charging is not dry air, this type of Ozoneator produces Nitric Acid as a byproduct. A very toxic substance, in gas form it sounds quite nasty, corrosive to tissue, as well as metals, etc. I mention this because I was trying to find CD Ozonators manufacured locally, or at least in Asia. Many are made in China, but if the machine is not made correctly, i.e. from Nitric Acid resistant materials, then you have a self dissolving machine. For really huge pools, the CD Ozonator will have a built in air-drying unit. For normal sized pools, apparently it's not an issue, at least according to the mfg's sites I ve been to.
I am going to use a CD Ozonator, but cannot say which yet. I'm still looking at all available here.
More on this tomorrow. Hope it helps.

Did you buy this CD ozonator and which brand. The Nitric Acid produced can vary and could be harmful for small quantities of water. I was reading a lot about these CD Ozonators and they seem to be suitable for high flow rates, very large pools, spas of 400 m2 and more. I am digging more into this subject .
Can learn everyday
Peter H

Re: uv light

Postby sateef » Sat May 07, 2011 9:08 am

robint wrote::o

i may misunderstand something here

a small uv lamp as used for drinlking water? what is the flow rate? uv light must have a certain contact time to work efficiently. ive seen these water system and the water tends to trickle out quite slowly, ie say 10 sec to fill a cup ie something like 3 litres per minute ie around 20 litres per hour

now your 5 mt by 10 mtr by 1.5 mtr pool holds 75m3 which is 75,000 litres so it will take 4000 hours or around 6 months to treat the pool water once through

:wink:

i was thinking the same. a 40w UV light is probably enough for a small fish pond but a swimming pool? seems like you would need several hundred watts to make an impact on that. maybe your chlorine is doing all the work.
sateef

Re: Building a swimming pool

Postby sakchai » Sat May 07, 2011 10:54 pm

We have an ozonator in our 8 person spa/hot tub that has lasted more than 6 years. It runs intermittently 24 hours a day all year long.
sakchai

Postby Sunpax » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:11 pm

I have a question in my head since sometimes ! is it possible to make a swimming pool on a slope ground ?
Sunpax

Postby sezze » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:34 pm

Sunpax wrote:I have a question in my head since sometimes ! is it possible to make a swimming pool on a slope ground ?

Yes , the ground can be slope. There are pics here from members who put the swimmingpool on sloped ground .
sezze

Postby Sunpax » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:14 pm

Thanck you Seeze...do you remember wich post it is ? or in wich section I must look ?
Sunpax

Postby geordie » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:51 pm

surely if you build the pool on sloping ground it will have to be an infinity pool so when the water runs over the lower edge you pump it back in at the top ?
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

PreviousNext

Return to swimming pool