Building a swimming pool

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Building a swimming pool

Postby Peter H » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:36 am

To build a swimming pool is a challenge even if its built by a pro builder. Important is a solid foundation and good ever lasting piping. My 8x16m plus 5x5m pool was built in a previous rice field. The builder from Pattaya knocked first 36 cement columns 15x15 cm, 15 meter into the ground. Then he built the wooden frame work and filled up CPAC waterproof cement in 1 day. Trucks with 20 meter long pipes reaching 10 m up fillled up 50 ton cement. Walls and floors 20 cm thick with plenty of steel. Vibration nozzles used to compact all. Water sprinkled on everything for 14 days 8) . Unfortunately no photos available of the building process. Water suppply was promised by the local government but never realised :( . To supply well water was a real challenge. Dirty, to much iron etc etc Finally I installed a kind of a water factory with the help of some chinese advice and Mazuma. To dimension water flow in the pool is important. The whole pool water should be filtered once in 6 hours. Finally I added a UV - Ozone filter which is 3000 times more efficient than chlorine and reduces chlorine consumption by 50 % :)
Attachments
UV-filter.JPG
Mazuma UV - Ozone filter. THB 10.000.
www.poolandspa.com
the facts about Ozonators
PS: same application as last stage of drinking water preparation.
UV-filter.JPG (44.95 KiB) Viewed 12171 times
pump filter.JPG
Speck pumps 1.5 hp delivering 300 l/min each. Astral silica sand filers. All from Australia.
pump filter.JPG (51.09 KiB) Viewed 12175 times
waterfactory.JPG
left cement tank with gravel at the bottom filtering debris and adding diluted chlorine removes excessive iron. Middle water filter Mazuma with Manganese, Carbon and silica sand.
waterfactory.JPG (52.75 KiB) Viewed 12172 times
pool with roof.JPG
Skimmer pool type for commercial use. Weekends up to 40 children at the same time in the pool.Total costs THB 1.3 mill incl. roof, pooldeck and change rooms.
pool with roof.JPG (66.25 KiB) Viewed 12165 times
Can learn everyday
Peter H
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:01 pm
Location: Roi et

Re: Building a swimming pool

Postby Attila » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:56 pm

Peter H wrote:...
Finally I added a UV - Ozone filter which is 3000 times more efficient than chlorine and reduces chlorine consumption by 50 % :)


Now this is interesting!
Attila
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 5:50 pm
Location: Thailand

Re: Building a swimming pool

Postby Peter H » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:40 pm

Attila wrote:
Peter H wrote:...
Finally I added a UV - Ozone filter which is 3000 times more efficient than chlorine and reduces chlorine consumption by 50 % :)


Now this is interesting!


UV-filters/Ozonators are used in Spas, commercial outdoor pools and amusement waterparks. Besides reduced chlorine consumption they produce Ozone which is converted back to Oxygene later. The water is sparkling clean, has a very pleasant smell :) and wear of lining is reduced drastically.
Facts about ozonators:
http://www.spadepot.com
http://www.poolandspa.com
http://www.lenntech.com
Can learn everyday
Peter H
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:01 pm
Location: Roi et

ozone

Postby cruzing » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:51 pm

To Peter H.
If you bought an ozone system for 10,000 baht, you stole that thing!

We have a small system we bought and used in San Diego for a small backyard fishpond and it was quite expensive. If I remember correctly a new for the size we had was around $300, but have to veryify with my husband. We bought ours used and the small replacement parts we needed were quite expensive.

cruzing.
cruzing
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:25 am
Location: Na Jomtien, Sattahip

Re: ozone

Postby Peter H » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:46 pm

cruzing wrote:To Peter H.
If you bought an ozone system for 10,000 baht, you stole that thing!

We have a small system we bought and used in San Diego for a small backyard fishpond and it was quite expensive. If I remember correctly a new for the size we had was around $300, but have to veryify with my husband. We bought ours used and the small replacement parts we needed were quite expensive.

cruzing.


A big selection of Ozone systems are available on the market. See my weblinks. The american ones are usually more expensive and sophisticated. I put a photo here of a Mazuma type Thai made system. 40 Watt costs THB 9.000 and install 1k in Isaan. Costs of production again much lower than US. These types of UV-Ozone filters are produced in large quantities :) for small domestic drinking water preparation.
Can learn everyday
Peter H
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:01 pm
Location: Roi et

Re: Building a swimming pool

Postby Attila » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:27 am

Peter H wrote:
Attila wrote:
Peter H wrote:...
Finally I added a UV - Ozone filter which is 3000 times more efficient than chlorine and reduces chlorine consumption by 50 % :)


Now this is interesting!


UV-filters/Ozonators are used in Spas, commercial outdoor pools and amusement waterparks. Besides reduced chlorine consumption they produce Ozone which is converted back to Oxygene later. The water is sparkling clean, has a very pleasant smell :) and wear of lining is reduced drastically.
Facts about ozonators:
http://www.spadepot.com
http://www.poolandspa.com
http://www.lenntech.com


After studying only some of your links it is clear already that such an ozonator is a very good idea. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

And 10000 baht for reducing the chlorine by 50 % does sound good, really good. Now let's see if I can feed it with solar power :D
Attila
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 5:50 pm
Location: Thailand

uv light

Postby robint » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:34 pm

:o

i may misunderstand something here

a small uv lamp as used for drinlking water? what is the flow rate? uv light must have a certain contact time to work efficiently. ive seen these water system and the water tends to trickle out quite slowly, ie say 10 sec to fill a cup ie something like 3 litres per minute ie around 20 litres per hour

now your 5 mt by 10 mtr by 1.5 mtr pool holds 75m3 which is 75,000 litres so it will take 4000 hours or around 6 months to treat the pool water once through

:wink:
robint
 

liner pools

Postby robint » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:39 pm

:)

has anyone any experienc of these surface pools made with steel sections and a pvc liner

Ive used one once in an appartnent complex in pappaya

the pump filter system broke down after 6 months, lack of maintenance no doubt typical LOS

these dont cost 1/2 mill

know anyone selling them in the LOS?

Ive swum in a fish pond and it didnt do me any harm, I wonder if a lined fish pond would work? I guess you need the natural mud complete with flora and fauna to keep it healthy :oops:
robint
 

Re: uv light

Postby Peter H » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:44 pm

robint wrote::o

i may misunderstand something here

a small uv lamp as used for drinlking water? what is the flow rate? uv light must have a certain contact time to work efficiently. ive seen these water system and the water tends to trickle out quite slowly, ie say 10 sec to fill a cup ie something like 3 litres per minute ie around 20 litres per hour

now your 5 mt by 10 mtr by 1.5 mtr pool holds 75m3 which is 75,000 litres so it will take 4000 hours or around 6 months to treat the pool water once through

:wink:

My pool holds 180 m3
The flow rate is 500 l/min. On my photo you can see a big blue pipe on the right which comes from the big sand filter. I run this 40 watt UV-filter-Ozonator 2x 6 h/day.
For installation guides see
http://www.lenntech.com

further info;
http://www.spadepot.com
http://www.poolandspa.com
Can learn everyday
Peter H
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:01 pm
Location: Roi et

swimming pool filter

Postby fdimike » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:26 pm

Anyone have any experience with JD Pools? They advertise a skimmer filter which uses a filter bag instead of sand or cartridge. I am in the process of building a new house in Udon Thani and will be building a swimming pool as well. We are planning a pool 21M x 8M.

Thanks
Mike
fdimike
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:55 pm
Location: Udon Thani Thailand

Re: swimming pool filter

Postby cruzing » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:10 pm

fdimike wrote:Anyone have any experience with JD Pools? They advertise a skimmer filter which uses a filter bag instead of sand or cartridge. I am in the process of building a new house in Udon Thani and will be building a swimming pool as well. We are planning a pool 21M x 8M.

Thanks
Mike


Check out this site. http://www.bluediamondwater.com/pool.html Don't know if it would work for the size of pool you are planning. I think you could make your own system like Peter did.

Scroll down, the pool and information they are showing is from Northiern Thailand

For me I'd opt for a lap pool with this ozone treatment.......no chemicals on your body or in your hair.

Another site in BKK to that sells the OZONE system.http://www.aqua-asia-ozone.com/
cruzing
Last edited by cruzing on Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cruzing
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:25 am
Location: Na Jomtien, Sattahip

swimming pools

Postby cruzing » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:32 am

Here's a link I keep in my favorites. If the site is up to date this month's special is a 6X4 meter pool for 280,000 baht. It's not that big, but depends on what you think you need. They have bigger pools also.

http://www.issworldwide.com/
cruzing
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:25 am
Location: Na Jomtien, Sattahip

Postby Boon Mee » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:30 pm

Something I've just recently learned is that salt-water pools in Thailand are not yet the 'norm' or catching on as they have elsewhere. Spare parts all have to come from overseas and general knowledge re. that type of pool is not to be found.
Boon Mee
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:39 pm
Location: Suphanburi

Ozoneators

Postby thaimic » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:04 am

In reading up on the many ozone generators for pools, it seems like a great idea. Reducing the chlorine smell, burning eyes from prolonged swimming, and overall chlorine consumption are all results much desired. I've come up with these thoughts: How much ozone is generated will determine it efficacy in cleaning your pool. Robin T's math is sound, and I agree. With the UV lamp style of Ozonator, it will take a long time to treat all of your pool's water a single time. That's not to say the Ozonator isn't helping, but should perhaps be used in in addition to chlorine. The UV lamps have to be replaced after so many thousands of hours of usage, many I've looked at to be replaced after 9,000 hours. Usind the Ozonator 16 hours a day means replacement after 562 days, less than two years.
There's another kind of Ozone generator, the CD, or Corona Discharge, type. This uses an electrical current to charge air, is explained here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona_discharge
This type of system produces a great deal more ozone quicker, as I understand it, yet seems to require 10 times less power than the uv light type, relative to the amount of Ozone it produces. In these machines, the electrodes and power supply have to be replaced somethiing like every 15,000 hours, or, with 16 hours per day of usage, every 937 days. Sounds perfect, right? Well, like life, the catch is if the air the CD Ozone generator is electrically charging is not dry air, this type of Ozoneator produces Nitric Acid as a byproduct. A very toxic substance, in gas form it sounds quite nasty, corrosive to tissue, as well as metals, etc. I mention this because I was trying to find CD Ozonators manufacured locally, or at least in Asia. Many are made in China, but if the machine is not made correctly, i.e. from Nitric Acid resistant materials, then you have a self dissolving machine. For really huge pools, the CD Ozonator will have a built in air-drying unit. For normal sized pools, apparently it's not an issue, at least according to the mfg's sites I ve been to.
I am going to use a CD Ozonator, but cannot say which yet. I'm still looking at all available here.
More on this tomorrow. Hope it helps.
thaimic
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:50 am

Swimming Pool

Postby fdimike » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:28 pm

Thaimic have you considered using a Salt Water Pool Chlorinator instead? Similar results to the ozone generator can be achieved. These systems are a bit pricey (about 75,000 baht) but you no longer have to purchase chlorine. Salt untilization is extremely low once the correct level is achieved. Typical salt levels are less than contained in human tears.

Regards
Mike
fdimike
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:55 pm
Location: Udon Thani Thailand

Next

Return to swimming pool

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 1 guest