new pool questions

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

new pool questions

Postby Karl » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:41 am

I've read just about every topic on this (I think) but didn't read anything about distance from the house.
I have a long strip on one side of my house, about 2.5 meter at the smallest part, where I would like a pool, going in an L shape around a corner.
question is, is it doable and how far should I saty from the walls, perimeter wall and house?
I know it wouldn't be wide but I couldt make it long to actually swim.
And would it be ok if I stayed about half meter above ground. I'v seen a pic of a new house build like that. (I don't know if I can put a link to that site here)
Thanks
Karl

Re: new pool questions

Postby jazzman » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:52 pm

2.5 metres, even if were possible to manouevre sufficiently to construct in that space, would leave you with a 'trench' to swim in of 1.7 metres wide. You can map that out in your yard and see if it would be enough for you. If you stretch your arms out, they will be about 1.8 metres fingertip to finger tip. That will give you some idea.

You may find however; that building this close to the house could upset the footings and foundations if the house has not been built on piles. If the house has been built on piles, the pool will probably need to be be too. Otherwise, most pool builders would probably not risk constructing a pool much closer than two metres to an existing house wall. Houses that have pools very close to them were usually designed together with the pool by the engineer who took the design of combined foundations into consideration.

It is perfectly feasible to build the pool with any part of it above ground.

You need to calculate where you will have your filtration and pumping equipment. Proper equipment for a small pool will need a minimum space of about 1 x 1 metre.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Karl » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:50 pm

The strip runs in a cone, so the 2.5 was the smallest part at the end, going to 6 m after 10 m long.
I just had the guys from jdpools on the phone and they said to be safe you need to stay 1.5 m away from the building, so gonna have to change plan and go for the other side of the house which is a lot bigger.
Thanks for the input.
Karl

Postby Nawty » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:00 pm

I would not listen to JD pools if my arse was on fire and they recommended throwing a bucket of water on it.

But the original foundations could be a problem as mentioned. Only way to be sure is to dig a bit and find out.....get diggin.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby Karl » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:25 pm

They guy from jdpools came over this afternoon, like they do, I'm sure they all live in big mansions with their prices.
They said their own line of IP liner pools could be build, but no concrete pools... doesn't make sence to me, cos they both have to digg.
Father in law is comming over after the weekend, he's a good builder, but never build a pool, he sais he can do it, but I'm a bit anxious if it goes wrong, we'll see.
Thanks for the answers.
Karl

Postby jazzman » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:34 pm

One of the very reasons this CoolThaiHouse discussion board exists is because ALL Thais, most particulrly fathers-in-law (I have one too...) will always say they can build something. And the consequences are always a disaster.

Most JD pools are a vinyl liner on a steel frame system, and do not have a proper pump/filtration and plumbing system. A quick-build formula, with an exceptionally high return (100%) for the vendor. A fairly common franchise system for selling swimming pools.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Karl » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:46 am

jazzman wrote:One of the very reasons this CoolThaiHouse discussion board exists is because ALL Thais, most particulrly fathers-in-law (I have one too...) will always say they can build something. And the consequences are always a disaster.

That's why I have my doubts, but now I can blame you guys when I tell him he doesn't have to do it :lol:
Karl

Postby Nawty » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:26 am

So if your FiL is a capable builder, use him to build it with CTH consulting team to oversee it....easy solution.
Nawty

Postby geordie » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:27 pm

what we have a consulting team ?? or we are the consulting team

my fl is so old he considers putting the rice cooker on a days work

I find it dificult to beleive anything they tell me anymore this inherrant obligation to THAIS runs deep eneough that even after eight years mariage i still feel like a wallet (sorry OT)

they prefer a farang builder it amuses the locals when they see me down and dirty working i am not sure if my label is cheap charlie for doing it with them or they think the family must be rich when they con afford a farrang builder???

four sons and the only work done on the house in eight years is what I have done maybe i should stay drunk and tell them i cannot do it
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Nawty » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:09 am

Ok forget the IL's then.

Have to ask, cos there are good builders out there and they do have families, so someone somewhere has them as a FIL.....just not you by the sounds of it.
Nawty

Postby geordie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:57 am

i honestly get depressed when i think of what a bunch of p---tking sh--s they are its not even a case of not capable its a case of cannot be bothered i am guessing that i was unlucky with her family the sisters love mum and dad to death the boys are in it for the money beer or whatever; consider the following mums house flooded regularly /floods regularly a wall 18" high would have prevented most of the damage incurred this was beyond them now a new house is required legs rotten doors rotten furniture rotten walls moving tiles have lifted ect ect the boys will leave it like that under water for two or three days at a time before they finally turn up with a pump?? having pumped the water out they then return to their busy life growing rice (i am not kidding)even on ocasions i have been there they turn up at mums house to eat 7am then rush off to walk the bufalo 7-45-8am when you leave it half an hour and go down to the farm usually the bufalo are wandering in the rice paddy(after the rice is cut)the brothers are sound asleep this is not normal it only happens every time i catch then some mystery virus i think its called lazyitis one of the brothers has now married and its his wifes job to walk the bufalo makes me wonder how hard it is to take care of 12 rai of rice after it has been planted i promissed my wife i would help take care of her mum and dad but the brothers are making it one hell of a burden sorry about the rant but its bloody freezing in the uk and it galls me to think i work nights freezing my t-ts off and they have a life of luxury to prove it or i have a wife that sulks untill i give in and agree yes dear send money for hospital tommorow anh her loyalty to them cannot be challenged in spite of the fact i am currently working with two broken ribs

sorry geordie

life is not good at the moment and she does not want to understand

karl would you like 18 stone of ballast under the pool jazzman sorry i am off topic again but off the head with it tonight
geordie

Postby Karl » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:18 pm

I've put the idea of a pool on this house out of my head, thanks to this forum.
Will put a nice one where I will be building in the future, so there's land to level up there geordie :wink:
Lucky my wife only has a sister and her husband is a real worker, does everything for her and the family, guess one of the very few ones. But if I see how her cousins act towards their wives and family, I wouldn't take it. If my misses wouldn't understand that there would be a big door open for her to go out. :mrgreen:
Good thing we're in Pattaya and they're in Nakhon Pathom and the misses ain't to fond about the rest of her family, only her sis and mum.
Karl

Postby geordie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:06 pm

Karl hope the tales of woe with her/my familly did not finish off your plans Maybe this might halp you at some point
imagine you have a hole dug in the ground ready for a footing 1 meter deep
the heavens open during the night the ground colapses
as a general rule the colapse will not exeed 45 degrees
in theory if you dig you hole with 45 degree sides in any reasonable ground it will not slip or colapse
if you take a line from the bottom outside edge of you footing at 45 degrees any ground pressure you create should pass below existing footings and so not cause you any problems
this can be acheived by digging deeper with the second footing allowing you to get closer to the existing structure if you require too
this theory relies on several variables (!)! is the existinng ground natural/backfill will colapse at the drop of a hat
are the soil conditions sandy again will redily colapse
Will the footings encroach the water table another formula for disaster during construction
when a pool is full it will push outward towards the soil when it is empty the ground will push inward
My cellar required 10" concrete 2 layer 25 mm rods made into a grid at 8" centers the floor was over engineerd at 15" suposedly to overcome flotation??
6mtr x 4mtr x 2.5 mtr
an expensive error with a large fine for no planning permision but the basic methodoligy was taught to me by my £95 an hour structural engineer
PS the cellar is great storage no leaks still paying for it
again sorry about my little rant on your posting but still do not know if i am just unlucky or are my circumstances normal and you are right the door is becoming an option trouble is i have become quite fond of her
geordie

Postby Karl » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:50 pm

geordie wrote:Karl hope the tales of woe with her/my familly did not finish off your plans

No not at all, I've been putting the pros and cons against eachother that I read and had as response here and my current budget to make my decision.
I'm not planning on staying in this house forever, so the possible hassle and money won't be worth it.
On top of that, FIL seems to be a good bricky and can lay nice floors, but ain't used to more complicated stuff :mrgreen:
Karl

Postby geordie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:11 pm

pools arent mutch more than good brcklaying floorlaying jazzman did a good piece on the plumbing and some cautions on tiling
geordie

Next

Return to swimming pool