salt chlorinator

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

salt chlorinator

Postby hybrid » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi all
have a pool at my house , nr mabrachan lake pattaya.
only a small one about 4m x 6m , roughly 30,000 ltrs i think.
i want to convert to saltwater. i've been quoted 23,000 baht by the lad i have cleaning it .. seem reasonable..
what do you think ?
hybrid

Re: salt chlorinator

Postby Nawty » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:15 pm

Make sure the 'pool boy' does not just take a drive to Samut Sakhon and buy several big bags of salt and dump in your pool and say 'there ya go'....
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby hybrid » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:01 pm

Nawty wrote:Make sure the 'pool boy' does not just take a drive to Samut Sakhon and buy several big bags of salt and dump in your pool and say 'there ya go'....

i think i'd notice the lack of the salt chlorinator equipment lol
hybrid

Postby jazzman » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:10 pm

That sounds exceptionally reasonable. These things are fairly expensive even at direct import prices - are you sure it didn't fall of the back of a lorry? It is probably a very basic model, not programmable, no pump timer, no digital read out of water condition, and no 'low salt' warning. Ask to see what he is offering you, and have a look at the instruction booklet. Then let me know before you buy it - better safe than sorry. Does his price include fitting?

Good idea though, it will certainly reduce the load on your oversized pump and filter - particularly if you refill the filter with DiamondKleen.

And watch the price of the salt. It cost 150 baht a 50 Kg bag in Samut Prakahn, but in downtown Pattaya the pool shops sell it for 500. P & N pools on the highway near you sell it for 350. You should not need more than 100 Kg.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby rubik101 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:16 am

Hello Folks. My 8mX4mX 1.5m deep pool has a single salt water chlorinator unit. Since filling it in November 2008, I have added the grand total of precicely nothing to the water. It is sparkling clear and tastes only faintly salty. I would urge anyone who is thinking of building a new pool or even has one and finds he is using a considerable amount of chemicals, this is the way to go. No more chlorine! It really does feel good to swim in soft, clean water and there is no residue when you dry off.
I have an automatic sensor, timer, pump sequence and it has worked fine until now. If you want the name of the company that installed it you can PM me. The only upkeep is the cleaning and changing the filter every other day and vacuuming about once a week.
Measure twice, cut once. Buy cheap, buy twice.
rubik101

Postby jazzman » Wed May 06, 2009 10:48 am

rubik101 wrote:Hello Folks. My 8mX4mX 1.5m deep pool has a single salt water chlorinator unit. Since filling it in November 2008, I have added the grand total of precicely nothing to the water. It is sparkling clear and tastes only faintly salty. I would urge anyone who is thinking of building a new pool or even has one and finds he is using a considerable amount of chemicals, this is the way to go. No more chlorine! It really does feel good to swim in soft, clean water and there is no residue when you dry off.
I have an automatic sensor, timer, pump sequence and it has worked fine until now. If you want the name of the company that installed it you can PM me. The only upkeep is the cleaning and changing the filter every other day and vacuuming about once a week.

Hi Rubik,

That is an excellent testimonial to salt-water chlorination. If you are really pleased with the product and if you are not directly concerned with its marketing, there is no reason why you shouldn't post details of the brand, the price, the installation cost, and the retailer - and maybe even a photo of your installation.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby rubik101 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:02 pm

I will post this picture to test the system! My first attempt.
rubik101

Postby rubik101 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:05 pm

It works!
Work began in Sep 08. I won't bore you with the pictures of holes being dug. The first picture, above, shows the pool as it was after the shuttering was removed. The pool was filled on Nov 5th 2008 and I swam in it on the 7th.Image
This shows th epool with the concrete step surround, to avoid flooding into the pool!
rubik101

Postby rubik101 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:08 pm

Sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself here.
This is the finished article. Taken Nov 7th 2008
rubik101

Postby rubik101 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:16 pm

And this is the pool today. I chose the green tiles and I am very happy with them. It looks much more natural than blue. I installed a spa section which I do not use. My advice would be not to bother. If you want a spa, get a separate tub. I swim 40 minutes every day, morning and evening and have no trouble with my eyes open under the water. The taste is not unpleasant, mind you, you are supposed to swim in it, not drink it. The single electronic unit that works its magic is silent and seemingly maintainance free. I have a simple bag filter which seems to work admirably.

It was built and installed by J.D.Pools who have a website, funnily enough www.jdpools.com

The total cost was 720.000 baht with a ten year gaurantee.

rubik101

Postby rubik101 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:20 pm

In the last picture, I am standing on the working bits and pieces, the pump and the chlorinator. It all looks very simple when the cover is off! Water simply flows through the gizmo while electricity does something magic to the water. As I say, I haven't added so much as a drop or a teaspoon of chemical since Nov 08. The initial cost might seem high but the upkeep costs zilch, so far.
rubik101

Postby rubik101 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:31 pm

A bit out of order but I wanted you to see the raised surround, preventing rain run off from getting into the pool. No infinity edges here!
rubik101

Postby thaifly » Thu May 07, 2009 2:46 pm

gidday rubik....its the thai fly from mae rim...tell you cobber..that you are dead set right about the treats that a salt water chorinator give to you ...and if its ONGA DAVIES...brand ..your on a winner...arguably the best in the world..and there pumps etc etc...also...very impressed with the pics of your house... and pool...another bo derek..and nice to see that another member has shown his melon and his shelia as well....instead of lurking in the shadows of C.T.H. IT SURELY ADDS A GREAT DIMENSION to the forum to picture the member that you are posting to...and rubik your trees look in magnicent shape ....the thai fly assumes that the other one in question has appeared from the dead???? nice work rubik...its still a very sad CHELSEA FAN gidday to all...its a bum of a referee...its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby rubik101 » Thu May 07, 2009 3:56 pm

<off topic>
rubik101

Postby jazzman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:49 am

It's a bit late, but I only just happened on the new posts on this thread.
Are you sure about the price you mentioned? Most pool companies would charge about 500,000 for a pool this size, including a saltwater chlorinator, and still be making a decent profit on a quality job. The green tiles you chose might have added another 20,800 baht or so.
jazzman

Return to swimming pool