Natural Swimming Pools

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Natural Swimming Pools

Postby rubik101 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:34 pm

I built a swimming pool a couple of years ago in Corfu.
For those of you who have never heard of them, Natural Swimming Pools are the way to go. They use no chemicals. Cleaning and algae removal are accomplished by using a 'regeneration' area around the perimiter of the the pool. The water will be drinkable after a matter of a few weeks, really!
I have lots of links but you can find them yourself by Googling the thread title. IN Germany they have a 2000sq.m public pool and every morning the water is checked for purity. It passes the drinking water specs every day! A cerrtain amount of invertabrate pond life is welcomed, but not fish.
I am fairly certain that in Thaialnd they should work well. The plants required are easily available. The pumps and filters are the same as for normal pools. I will be building one in my house in Bangsean next year.
If you have the space and like the natural look, then this is the way to go.
Maintenance is a twice yearly clean out of the excess vegetation.
It is the Green and eco friendly way to go.
Measure twice, cut once. Buy cheap, buy twice.
rubik101

Re: Natural Swimming Pools

Postby dozer » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:36 pm

Seems like a nice idea although I think algae is more of a problem here than where these pools are traditionally built. I heard of a guy doing these here who gave up because the environment wasn't suitable, but just something I heard in passing, don't know the details. Would like to hear from anyone here who has a natural pool here and see pics. Even the big budget hotels seem to have algae problems here....

This site has a nice pic album which illustrates the concept well.... .good example of natural pools
dozer
Site Admin

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:49 pm

I am quite taken by the idea of a natural swimming pool. Though like dozer, I am wondering if they do actually work in the tropical climate. The bacteria count is probably higher, the plants are probably different, and the growth cycle is probably faster. Anyone tried it out?

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby grant » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:01 pm

I contacted a company called Biotop Natural Pools several months ago about building a natural pool in Phuket. This was his response:

Thanks a lot for your interest in Biotop Natural Pool. Please find enclosed information. It is no problem to seperate the cleaning areas from the swimming area. Due to the hot and humid climate water quality can vary. It is possible that algea growing can occur in higher amounts. From former projects in South-Asia I know, that the water quality is an enormous problem. Another important question is the hygenical quality of the water. Hot water temperatures are good circumstances for some bacteria. We don't have any experience with questions like this in your region.

Based on this feedback, I decided not to try it on my pool.
grant

Postby rubik101 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:53 am

While I have no experience of pools in Thailand, in Greece the summer temps reach 30C plus and my pool there stayed clear. You need a fairly deep section in your pool to keep the water cool at the bottom. Mine is just over 2.80m but I am told by those who know that in tropical regions you need to go as deep as 4.00m. If you have a large space then a good resevoir of cool water should be possible.
The aquatic plants available are many and varied and I can provide a list if anyone is interested. How you get hold of these plants in LOS I have no idea but some of you who have been there some time may have some information on such things. These plants are native to S.E Asia and thrive in water up to 35C.
I guess one of us will have to bight the bullet and have a go!
I will be doing my pool next year when I move to LOS full time.
Measure twice, cut once. Buy cheap, buy twice.
rubik101

Postby grant » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:14 am

I may be wrong but I think the average temperature is probably more important than the daily maximum. In Corfu, the average below ground temperature would likely be around 20-22 deg C thereby moderating the water temperature. Northern Thailand may be similar but in southern Thailand the below ground ground temperature is 28 deg C (even at 72m where my deep well is) so the pool water temperature will always be higher than 28 deg C.
grant

Postby thaifly » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:49 am

grant wrote: but in southern Thailand the below ground ground temperature is 28 deg C (even at 72m where my deep well is) so the pool water temperature will always be higher than 28 deg C.
gidday grant and all ..its the thaifly from mae rim..if you want the water cooler..whack a couple fountains in..and the water temp will drop appreciately..as for rubiks pool...nice idea..nice theme ...practically effectively in THAILAND ????...be a NO GO ZONE FOR ME....its a NO HEADACHES gidday to all ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby Nawty » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:12 pm

Heres my take on it after I just took a headache tablet to settle down the eyes from someones loud shirt.

I want to build one of these pools some day here on a suitable block in the future. The block we have in Khao Yai will not really suit this type of pool, it could be done but other designs are better for that block.

So, when I do, it will go like this and has a fail safe theme builtin.

When you look at many of the ponds and so on in Los, they are all dirty or coloured, nearly all, most I would say, but then I have seen some very nice clear ones also. The clue with the clear ones I think was vegetation and running water and depth.

So effectively swap this for a good filtration system as required in the examples, possibly even double the size of the vegetaion and natural filtration areas.

While some alage and green growth is an advantage, the green slimey water is not obviously.

So I would combine a greater depth for the swimming area with an also greater depth for the filtration area. Add to this shade, several trees around the edges providing shade from the sun in the hottest areas and times of the day. Aslo large reeds and water plants will keep the sun off of the water around the shallow edges which heat up more easily and quickly.

Put in a good sized water flow feature, this cools the water and circulates it. In my ponds at home, small fish ponds, they all have green algae growing on all sides, but the water in the middle is crystal clear.

The swimming pool section in the middle is built kind of seperate to the other filtered area, a wall surrounding this area is about 30cm or so below the water level. Build the wall in such a way during construction that if it does not work, you could simply add to the wall and create your pool seperatley and then have the ponds surrounding the pool, green as they may be, but they chould not be too bad if done correctly, they may just not be of a clean standard that you wish to swim in and then stock with fish etc.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby dozer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:43 pm

I have noticed the degree of direct sunlight seems to make a big difference with regards to algae growth. At the large Ambassador hotel, they have some fish ponds surrounding the large pool, not particularly well cared for, but it was interesting that in two fairly identical pools which sit side by side one has a great deal of algae growth the other is fairly clear. The one with the algae problem has limited shade the other one, with the clear water, has a good amount of shade.

We have a large clay container outside, about 1 meter tall, with fish + plants, no filtration or pump. With partial sunlight of about 2 hours per day algae was a bit of a problem, now that it has been moved to total shade the water is crystal clear with no algae growth whatsoever..
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Nawty » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:18 am

so there is the answer...build a big mutha of a dome over the pool/pond
Nawty

Postby dozer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:45 pm

Of course the other theory is that direct sunlight is OK, it is just a matter of proper circulation and filtration. You would hope that the big hotels would have enough budget to get it right, however all of the outdoor hotel ponds I've seen are pretty dismal. Still, it would not surprise me to find out it was inadequate equipment. I know of someone who is well funded doing a outdoor in the sun pond, so we will know soon enough!
dozer
Site Admin

Postby grant » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:08 pm

There is a commercial lotus pond operation near my house. The three ponds which are side by side measure about 10m x 50m x 1.8m deep. There is no shade and the ponds are crystal clear.
grant

Postby thaifly » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:12 pm

[quote="dozer"] You would hope that the big hotels would have enough budget to get it right....gidday dozer its the thaifly from mae rim...in c/mai to find a pool with international standard water is a scarce as hens teeth.. and its down to poor maintence..etc..and to spend a extra baht..on a modern water and filter set up i know of one hotel on RINCOMBE INTERSECTION.. that has a twenty year old set up...and is continually green because of this.....its a pool of a gidday its the thaifly from maerim
thaifly

Postby thaifly » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:19 pm

Nawty wrote:Heres my take on it after I just took a headache tablet to settle down the eyes from someones loud shirt.

I want to build one of these pools some day here on a suitable block in the future.
gidday nawty ...its the thai fly from mae rim....you were taken apart on your last pool escapade...till some one pull you out of the s**t and got it right for you....and here we are on a hairbrain pool.. some MUGS never learn..but having them around will always give some one a feed....and you forgot to put in a shraggers nest for the MOSSIES.. but in saying that i am sure they will find a nice nest and bite the s**t out of you.....and one day i will put out of your misery on ...nice ..and now a loud shirt...in the gang ..out of the gang ...in the gang...you are indeed THE LOVABLE NAWTY.. its a fly of a gidday to all its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby Nawty » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:34 pm

'taken apart on last pool escapade'.....'until someone pulled you outa the s**t'.....

Care to explain these 2 statements with some clarity ?

Or you just believed anything you read or told ?

As for the natural type pool, if you do not like it and you prefer chlorine, fine. I like the natural idea, no need for you to come around for a swim and risk your white backside to get mossi bit......its a mossi bit white now red arse gidday from me.
Nawty

Next

Return to swimming pool