Concrete Pool Finish?

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Concrete Pool Finish?

Postby grant » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:22 pm

I recently swam in a very beautiful pool at a local hotel. I've not seen a pool with this type of finish before so I would like to know if anyone can help with identifying it. It looks like some type of concrete. It certainly is not tile as the only breaks in the surface were what appeared to be expansion joints. The surface was very smooth but not slippery. Something I would like to consider for my own pool if I can only find out what it is. I asked the hotel staff but got nowhere.
Attachments
P1030102.JPG
P1030111.jpg
P1030112.jpg
grant

Postby Nawty » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:59 pm

Bit hard to tell from the pics, do you know what they call 'pebble mix' there is a flatter version of this and the first pic looks like it.

Other than that I would say 'beadcrete' although there is no reflection from it to hint towards this.

Have a look at the beadcrete site and see if the colours there match what you saw.

I want to do a pool in beadcrete, but got a quote from them for 150k for a 10x3m pool, tad excessive.
Nawty

Postby grant » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:24 pm

The top pic shows the surface when dry and the bottom pic when wet. I know that it's not beadcrete or pebble tech. The surface is much smoother. The same material has been used extensively at the resort on walkways, etc.
grant

Postby Cookieboy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:06 pm

Hi Grant,

It looks like Granite chip to me. My kitchen floor is exactly the same colour. Post you a pic later.
Cookieboy
Cookieboy

FLOOR PICS

Postby Cookieboy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:28 am

Hi Grant,

These are pics showing some of the floors in my house.I had it done with granite chips throughout.It is important that you get the very best grade of chips, No.3 I was fortunate the bloke that did it lives about 100yds away and he has been doing it for over twenty years. I know that he charged the builder 350 THB per sq.m for his work alone.(ie excluding materials) so it works out quite expensive for the total cost. Apparently they normally cut corners and save great expense by applying it very thinly, although not in my case I hasten to add.I'm sure that will happen on the next job.
Cookieboy

Postby grant » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:35 am

Many thanks Cookie. It's Terrazzo. A Thai friend of mine in construction recognized it right away. I've seen it used in floors, walls, tubs and counter tops before but not in a pool. A quick search on the web shows it is used in swimming pools as well. The color combinations are endless and it's less expensive than Beadcrete or Pebbletec.
grant

terrazzo floors

Postby cruzing » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:38 pm

oops, didn't see Grant's reply......danged dsl hung up.

Hi,

This is terrazzo. I love this type of floor. very easy to clean. Not sure if it's the same as the pool though....unless its' not quite as smoothly finished. it seems like it would be slippery when wet, but I'm not sure.

A builder friend of ours did terrazo counter tops in a bathroom....turned out great...floors too.

cruzing
cruzing

terrazzo

Postby cruzing » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:40 pm

Wow, that's great they use for swimming pools. I like that so much better than tile. We had just the tile edging on our pool in San Diego...hated cleaning it.

cruzing
cruzing

Postby Zappadappa » Thu May 08, 2008 8:11 pm

Italians have been using the stuff since the days of the Colosseum

8)
Zappadappa

Return to swimming pool