Meter installation... Double cost for farang???

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Meter installation... Double cost for farang???

Postby Phanganguy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:09 pm

I have just completed my new house and went to the local PEA office (Koh Phangan, Surat Thani) to get the temporary builders meter swapped to a 15/45 supply in my name.
Firstly I got... Farang can not... Has to be in a thai name or company name. After alot of discussion, and pointing out the requirements on the PEA webpage of planning permit in my name, passport, blabla.. the application was accepted and a house inspection arranged.
Next came the cost...  4600 baht... For thai... Double (9200) 'for farang'
Looking on their costings board on the wall... No mention of a farang price of course, and only a single quoted price onbthe PEA website.
Question... Anyone else jad this situation?
Should I insist... No farang price only single 4600 price?
If they refuse...  Is it worth contacting Customer Support at their head office bkk?
If I have to pay to get a supply... Will, but this strikes me as another of those farang rip offs, but wanted to know others experiences.
Thanks
Phanganguy

Re: Meter installation... Double cost for farang???

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:41 pm

Phanganguy wrote:I have just completed my new house and went to the local PEA office (Koh Phangan, Surat Thani) to get the temporary builders meter swapped to a 15/45 supply in my name.
Firstly I got... Farang can not... Has to be in a thai name or company name. After alot of discussion, and pointing out the requirements on the PEA webpage of planning permit in my name, passport, blabla.. the application was accepted and a house inspection arranged.
Next came the cost...  4600 baht... For thai... Double (9200) 'for farang'
Looking on their costings board on the wall... No mention of a farang price of course, and only a single quoted price onbthe PEA website.
Question... Anyone else jad this situation?
Should I insist... No farang price only single 4600 price?
If they refuse...  Is it worth contacting Customer Support at their head office bkk?
If I have to pay to get a supply... Will, but this strikes me as another of those farang rip offs, but wanted to know others experiences.
Thanks

Yours is the first example of that that I have heard of. The PEA are usually one of the better agencies. But Koh Phangan is not known for being the best place for equal treatment.

I would try customer service if you have the time. As a minimum I would be adamant that I get a printed bill with all the costs printed on it.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Phanganguy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:53 pm

Yep agree with all that... Difficult balance,... Argue case and get no meter or pay up... As you say, as a minimum will getbreceipt so can take up sith head office later... May run risk then of being cut off hahahaha
Phanganguy

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:12 pm

Phanganguy wrote: Argue case and get no meter or pay up... As you say, as a minimum will getbreceipt so can take up sith head office later... May run risk then of being cut off hahahaha

Go to the Consumer Protection Agency, my wife just got ripped off using her Visa Card and the Siam Commercial Bank at first ignored her calls for a total rebate. I made her ring the Consumer Protection Agency and two days later she had the money recredited to her Visa Card. You may find there is a valid reason, but let the Consumer Protection Agency do that for you, that's what they are there for.
You've already signed the contract, PEA must supply, as long as you comply with all the regulations and pay on time they cannot take the meter away. I would have taken the name of the officer who quoted you twice the cost and demanded to see the manager.
Thailand is part of ASEAN and soon many many "farangs" from outside Thailand will be here doing business. TIT (This is Thailand) has reigned too long, time to pull down the fiefdoms.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Phanganguy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:22 pm

Update... Charge was 6200 baht... 4600 for the meter and 1600 baht 'service charge'
Whilst I am fully aware of what is going on... And have receipts and operatives name... I have agreed to pay... Simply for expediency... And for excellent future service (as opposed to bad) should there be problems in the future.
I will retain the receipts and names for future discussion with PEA head office should there be any such issues...
The islands are still a little 'wild west'... One of the frustrations but also one of the delights. ;-)
Thanks for the inputs guys...
Phanganguy

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:02 pm

Phanganguy wrote:Update... Charge was 6200 baht... 4600 for the meter and 1600 baht 'service charge'
Whilst I am fully aware of what is going on... And have receipts and operatives name... I have agreed to pay... Simply for expediency... And for excellent future service (as opposed to bad) should there be problems in the future.
I will retain the receipts and names for future discussion with PEA head office should there be any such issues...
The islands are still a little 'wild west'... One of the frustrations but also one of the delights. ;-)
Thanks for the inputs guys...

Which size of meter was installed?

This makes a big difference.
Sometimewoodworker

Return to electric