Cost of new power pole

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: MGV12, pattayapope, Attila

Cost of new power pole

Postby cooked » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:26 am

This is two questions really. We had to shift a wooden power pole yesterday in order to build a wall. I was very doubtful about this but did manage to intervene and at least attach ropes at the top before they started heaving away. Concreted in now. Absolutely rotten from my point of view, won't last two years.
However as can be seen in the fotos I enclose just for fun, it is about time all of these poles were replaced, despite reassurances that they will last forever.
So first question: what is the cheapest solution for replacement, avoiding wood?
Secondly: Am I 'allowed' set them up myself, can I use my own electrician to install (he has done this before elsewhere)?
Third of the two questions: having set up the first pole to get electricity across the street, would it be worthwhile continuing underground for the 50 metres to our house? This would obviously involve some fiddling about getting the cables out of the ground and into the house again.

So, basically, how much is this going to cost me, either way? The wife says she paid ‎฿3000.- 15 years ago when she got one set up, I would need 5 poles, possibly 6, which would be slightly over anything I can afford in one go.
I will go visit PEA before I start anyway.
Than(edit) sorry they turned out sideways.
Attachments
Pole 3.JPG
Pole 2.JPG
Pole 1.JPG
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Re: Cost of new power pole

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:43 pm

If the poles are on your land then they are yours and you can replace them. But they look as if they are carrying other supplies and so belong to the PEA (even though you may have paid for them. If they are PEA then they will have to do the work and will be concrete and around about 8,000 to 10,000 each. If they are yours then you can use steel for about ½ the price. We have a steel post on our land that we fitted and ran the cable ourselves.

If they are indeed yours I would not visit the PEA. Don't ask a question you don't want an answer to, better to ask forgiveness than permission :shock:
Sometimewoodworker

Re: Cost of new power pole

Postby cooked » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:50 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:If the poles are on your land then they are yours and you can replace them. But they look as if they are carrying other supplies and so belong to the PEA (even though you may have paid for them. If they are PEA then they will have to do the work and will be concrete and around about 8,000 to 10,000 each. If they are yours then you can use steel for about ½ the price. We have a steel post on our land that we fitted and ran the cable ourselves.

If they are indeed yours I would not visit the PEA. Don't ask a question you don't want an answer to, better to ask forgiveness than permission :shock:

Thanks. The other lines go to other houses on our land, my wife thinks she owns them. I'll see.
So maybe plan B, running the cables underground is the better one although the work will be much more awkward.
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Return to electric