LED light bulbs

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Re: LED light bulbs

Postby fredlk » Fri May 09, 2014 2:27 pm

Destruction Del wrote:May the Pork be with you.

What's with the Pork?
fredlk

Postby Destruction Del » Fri May 09, 2014 3:25 pm

fredlk wrote:

What's with the Pork?

<Potentially racist comment removed - mod>

Get some pork down ya

May the Pork be with you
Destruction Del

Postby Destruction Del » Fri May 09, 2014 6:54 pm

Additional:
For those of you that don't know, most LED's CAN be dimmed.

DC circuits use square wave where as AC uses a sine wave.
We use a Pulse Width Modulator, It's just a matter of turning off and on X amount of times per second, which in turn gives the Dimming effect.

I've installed systems that come as a package which give you control of all circuits in the house via a remote control ash ell as the wall mounted PLC controller switch...

Del loves PLC's he does...
More than worth the extra installation cost against the "oh, sorry Dad, I forgot to turn the light off"

May the Pork be with you.
Destruction Del

Postby Destruction Del » Fri May 09, 2014 6:54 pm

fredlk wrote:

What's with the Pork?

So what's with the nothing then?

Destruction Del

Postby Shastadad » Sat May 10, 2014 8:14 am

Destruction Del wrote:Additional:

We use a Pulse Width Modulator, It's just a matter of turning off and on X amount of times per second, which in turn gives the Dimming effect.

I've installed systems that come as a package which give you control of all circuits in the house via a remote control ash ell as the wall mounted PLC controller switch...

More than worth the extra installation cost against the "oh, sorry Dad, I forgot to turn the light off"

Or if you are a simple person like me you can purchase a LED dimmer at most stores in Thailand that specialize in LED's. They are kind of expensive here so I purchased several on Ebay for 121THB each, from a seller out of HK, who shipped to Thailand for free

dimmer.png

fredlk the pork reference is a play on the Star Wars theme May the force be with you
Shastadad

Postby Destruction Del » Sat May 10, 2014 10:06 am

Shastadad wrote:
Destruction Del wrote:Additional:

Or if you are a simple person like me you can purchase a LED dimmer at most stores in Thailand that specialize in LED's. They are kind of expensive here so I purchased several on Ebay for 121THB each, from a seller out of HK, who shipped to Thailand for free

dimmer.png

fredlk the pork reference is a play on the Star Wars theme May the force be with you

Appreciated Shastadad, I full well know about these things and still shudder... Just look at it ! Honestly, It's not exactly 21st century is it mate? Very 70s... I know we're in Thailand but us farang's needn't follow suit In My Opinion.... In MY Opinion - it's not a request or demand for the haters ;)

At 121฿ you certainly get what you pay for aye.

I suppose I should've posted these pictures as a visual understanding to my post, people like pictures...
Obviously the higher end of the market that hotels and rich farang's have installed over here, very popular in Singapore domestic homes too due to the energy saving...

Something more affordable for a Thai lifestyle type of person, Not so aesthetically pleasing as above though, agreed?

This picture shows how simple the PCB is and with the price of touch screens nowadays these systems can be very affordably built.

I'm not saying this is "the best way to do it", I just like to keep up to date as I love all these gadgets and gizmos that make our lives easy.

Now before my nemesis' jump up and down on this, I want to say that I'm NOT saying this is the ONLY way to do it, I agree with you that those cheap 121฿ units will work for a while... But like I said, you get what you pay for...

Thanks for explaining the Star Wars thing Shastadad... I didn't mention that part because I thought it was self explanatory...
An Amish community comes to mind ;)

Destruction Del

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat May 10, 2014 1:08 pm

Del,
Why is it that LED's never seem to give off enough light?
All the ones I have purchased, except for the Italian 2,000+++ baht ones have either stopped working or give off so little light I have binned them.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:07 pm

Destruction Del wrote:

Errr mum, They're not LED's... These are Halogen lights, hence the hi-heat resistant sheathing.

LED's don't get hot hence the money saver :)

P.s. I wrote Errrmm, but spellcheck thought I meant Err mum,,, it amused me so I left it ;)

Maybe a good time to check back with your mum.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat May 10, 2014 6:52 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Del,
All the ones I have purchased, except for the Italian 2,000+++ baht ones have either stopped working or give off so little light I have binned them.

The 5 watt Osram I got from either Tesco or Big C was too bright so swapped it back to the 3 watt version and AFAIR it was about ฿300
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat May 10, 2014 8:54 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:The 5 watt Osram I got from either Tesco or Big C was too bright so swapped it back to the 3 watt version and AFAIR it was about ฿300

Perhaps I should swap the few remaining 10 watt ones I have left for 5 watt? I put in a bank of 4 over my stove but the two halogen 5 watt ones in the exhaust fan are brighter. And the bracket of four in the spa bath room are so dim it's a waste of time turning them on when I have three eight watt spirals that light up everything.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat May 10, 2014 9:42 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:The 5 watt Osram I got from either Tesco or Big C was too bright so swapped it back to the 3 watt version and AFAIR it was about ฿300

Perhaps I should swap the few remaining 10 watt ones I have left for 5 watt? I put in a bank of 4 over my stove but the two halogen 5 watt ones in the exhaust fan are brighter. And the bracket of four in the spa bath room are so dim it's a waste of time turning them on when I have three eight watt spirals that light up everything.

All LED's are not equal it very much depends on the LED used
image.jpg
this style is dim.

The LED's with flat emitters are bright to blinding depending on the emitter type and the number of emitters used.

The style that was too bright was shaped like a traditional light bulb
image.jpg
image.jpg (6.71 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat May 10, 2014 9:59 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:All LED's are not equal it very much depends on the LED used

That was why I asked the original question: Why do LED's never seem to give off enough light? For the 300+ baht you spend on them and what they claim they will do, it never seems to happen with me. The exception being the Carini LED 10 Watt I bought for 2-3,000 baht.
I have over 100 spiral lights in this house ranging from 8 to 11 watt, none of them have stopped working, all give off excellent light no matter the brand and they cost peanuts. I just want to know why that is so.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Destruction Del » Sun May 11, 2014 8:57 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Del,

I can't answer that question without being there to carry out tests...

Destruction Del

Postby Destruction Del » Sun May 11, 2014 9:00 am

MGV12 wrote:
Destruction Del wrote:

Errr mum, They're not LED's... These are Halogen lights, hence the hi-heat resistant sheathing.

LED's don't get hot hence the money saver :)

P.s. I wrote Errrmm, but spellcheck thought I meant Err mum,,, it amused me so I left it ;)

Maybe a good time to check back with your mum.

.!..

Destruction Del

Postby BKKBILL » Sun May 11, 2014 9:33 am

RR, certainly agree with you. LEDs never seem to give off the light claimed on the packaging, not only that but according to researchers at the University of California say when you raise the current up to the level it takes to light a room, nitride-based LEDs stop producing photons at the same rate as low power units, like in your cell phone, According to the research from UCSB's Centre for Energy Efficient Materials, it's because the electrons collide with each other and lose their energy through heat instead of light.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

PreviousNext

Return to electric