underground cable to connect electricity

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: pattayapope, Attila

Re: underground cable to connect electricity

Postby pklongball » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:21 am

IMHO the phone/broadband/cable tv must be in a separate raceway/conduit no if/and or but about this. Never mix high voltage and other systems for any reason. No problems mixing the phone and TV cables. Pull extra wire for spare in event of future add on or problem. Or pull in an extra wire to use as a pull wire in the future.

If you're electric supply cable is in a conduit and it's buried there is no way someone is going to pull that cable out of that conduit to steal it. In my former life I dealt with similar things and I also saw what my electric contractor went thru to pull just 50 meters from our pole to the house main panel and this was in a HDPE conduit all the way. He had 4 people pulling and feeding cable and they worked for at least an hour. Very few bends in the conduit. No way will that cable be pulled out. The bad guys may cut it off at the pipe end and steal whats on the poles but I think that's about it.

I would make sure both ends are sealed from anything getting in from water to critters. Don't agree with the filling sand in the pipe end.
The complete picture story of our house build can be found here--My Gallery!
pklongball

Postby MGV12 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:53 am

pklongball wrote:IMHO the phone/broadband/cable tv must be in a separate raceway/conduit no if/and or but about this. Never mix high voltage and other systems for any reason. No problems mixing the phone and TV cables. Pull extra wire for spare in event of future add on or problem. Or pull in an extra wire to use as a pull wire in the future.

If you're electric supply cable is in a conduit and it's buried there is no way someone is going to pull that cable out of that conduit to steal it. In my former life I dealt with similar things and I also saw what my electric contractor went thru to pull just 50 meters from our pole to the house main panel and this was in a HDPE conduit all the way. He had 4 people pulling and feeding cable and they worked for at least an hour. Very few bends in the conduit. No way will that cable be pulled out. The bad guys may cut it off at the pipe end and steal whats on the poles but I think that's about it.

I would make sure both ends are sealed from anything getting in from water to critters. Don't agree with the filling sand in the pipe end.

Good post PK ... it's also a good idea ... as well as being in separate conduits ... to separate the runs of power and phone/internet/cable. Not just due to high voltage but, as power lines are surrounded by a magnetic field this can still affect a weak signal [which is often the case in LOS where the signal often fluctuates] if the conduits [even with shielded cable in a separate conduit] are run close together for any distance. Better a separate trench for each .... and if there has to be a crossing make it at ninety degrees to minimise any cross-over affect. The phone/broadband infrastructure here is not what you might call AAA in all areas and maintenance leaves a lot to be desired ... so better to do all you can at your end to get the best out of what you receive. Few contractors care/understand about this so you may need to insist as one of your 'crazy/fussy farang' issues.

Your brain is an outstanding organ. It works non-stop from the very second you're born …..until you move to Thailand!
MGV12

Postby geordie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:03 pm

the RF that mains cables give off should be preventable with a good quality screened cable

A diversity here it is used deliberately in certain establishments for security a radiating cable is buried in a duct around the perimiter you want to protect the frequency is then monitored
a person or large animal wil cause fluctuation in the field being generated causing alarm
the system is good for 2.5 meters in a bubble effect
that is buried 10" below ground in a duct

the normal mains feed in a house is 220 / 240 as i was involved with cctv install for many moons we were instructed a normal twin and earth cable if we were to run paralel no closer than six inches using a normal coax you can upgrade to a screened coax which has foil wrap as well as braided if it was to share the same run of containment the coax had to be screened with an earth cable as was the same for any data cable but as well as having an extra screen and an earth cable the low voltage cable would have to have an enhanced insulation capable of meeting the requiremnt of 220-240v it is considered as PK has pointed out bad practice and dangerous to install both systems in the same containment but needs must sometimes you cannot avoid it the cables mentioned here are usually order only as not used everyday but are readily available next day(UK)
also available are various gadgets to smooth out any interference but you cannot compensate for a signal that arrives at the property weak in the first place

something i would say is that if it took four men an hour to install 50 meters of cable either the conduit was too small or too many bends washing up liquid makes a great emergency lubricant unfortunately when it dries it also acts as a good glue defeating the point of putting it in a duct in the first placeand a weak sand and cement mix is what we use all the time on london underground to block ducts usually 6-1 sand cement so it crumbles easilly

the house i am living in has been fed power with a cable buried under the ground for twenty five years to my knowledge the phone and cable tv were thrown on the ground literally i installed a conduit system only because i had a very expensive pattern printed driveway installed the thing is why not bury the cables just how often do you expect to replace them
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby missiongrowers » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:24 am

thanks for the great tips! noted and will implement :wink: moving on to septic tank fun now
missiongrowers

Postby missiongrowers » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:25 pm

curious as to what the electric company likes to see regarding their wires entering the black pvc...since they have set the meter on the pole with the wires going upwards...i will obviously route them towards the ground. i plan to seal the entrance of the wires entering the black pvc with silicone, but was curious if they prefer another solution?
missiongrowers

Postby geordie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:46 pm

its always better with electricity to put in a loop to stop water running into the duct so run down past the duct bring it back upwards then down to the duct this will reduce the amount of water running down the cable into the duct then mastic it in uk it always enter from underneath as water will find a way in even with mastic
geordie

Postby jazzman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:12 am

I'm not sure what is meant by all the above, but it would seem obvious to me that cables exposed to the weather should always enter and leave any meters, consumer units, load centres, outside lights, automatic gate motors, securrity systems, etc, at the bottom of the appliance.
Attachments
meter connections.JPG
cable entry.JPG
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby MGV12 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:03 am

jazzman wrote:I'm not sure what is meant by all the above, but it would seem obvious to me that cables exposed to the weather should always enter and leave any meters, consumer units, load centres, outside lights, automatic gate motors, securrity systems, etc, at the bottom of the appliance.

Absolutely right .... if you have cables leaving your meter in a directly upwards direction CALL THE COMPANY IMMEDIATELY as your meter will have been installed upside down!

For those new to the many ways that 'Tea Money' is collected in Thailand: Always make sure that your bill is paid by .. at very latest .. the 5th of the month following it's arrival. If not you will be fined 100Baht for late payment if it's a few days over ... if longer they will send you a late payment letter but almost immediately come and remove the meter. I have known several people caught out by this due to mix-ups with direct debits ... they will only try to collect it ONCE by DD. After that it's down to you to pay it directly to the company or via Tesco/7/11/Post Office etc. A friend who rents was working at the front of his house when a guy in ordinary clothes [no uniform] came by, they had eye contact but nothing was said ... my friend thought no more about it and continued his work. When he went into his house the electricity was off ... he assumed just a power cut as happens from time to time ... when his wife came home it was still off ... they asked the neighbour but his was on ... by chance they went to see if all was well with the meter ... IT WAS GONE! Out of sight the guy had removed it without word or opportunity to pay him the outstanding balance. Too late in the day to contact the company so a night without electricity ... next morning they came back within a couple of hours to re-install and this time COLLECTED THE MONEY FROM HIM ... why couldn't they do that the first time? Why? Because there was a fine to pay of course ... nearly 300Baht I think.

Your brain is an outstanding organ. It works non-stop from the very second you're born …..until you move to Thailand!
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:06 pm

I can recall, almost 15 years ago, when my wife and I had just moved into Soi 36 Viphavadi, not seeing the postman for two days. The electricity bill was due and my wife was in a tizz when she arrived home from work, because, as she said "They take the power away". I gathered from this she meant the meter. I, having previously had lackies paying everything on time laughed it off. The following morning the power was cut. They didn't take the meter, they just disconnected the two wires. My wife organised to have it back on nearly straight away but was she annoyed, so much so she made me drive to the Vipavadi Post Office and demanded to know what had happened to our mail.
It would appear, after much talking, that our motor cycle postman had been killed in a traffic accident with a bus. Not only had they taken his body to the temple, they'd also taken all the mail he was carrying. Apparently they had both been cremated that morning after three times around the temple. It's now a direct debit but we are ever vigilant.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:44 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:I can recall, almost 15 years ago ..........

Cremated with his bag of post indeed!

Back to the thread RR ... back to the thread.

MGV12

Postby geordie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:14 pm

geordie wrote:its always better with electricity to put in a loop to stop water running into the duct so run down past the duct bring it back upwards then down to the duct this will reduce the amount of water running down the cable into the duct then mastic it in uk it always enter from underneath as water will find a way in even with mastic

jazzman wrote:I'm not sure what is meant by all the above, but it would seem obvious to me that cables exposed to the weather should always enter and leave any meters, consumer units, load centres, outside lights, automatic gate motors, securrity systems, etc, at the bottom of the appliance.

hi jazzman your picture explain my comments both the meter and the duct the cables enter upwards therfore both have a loop or u turn and enter upwards what is of interest is the gland on the duct is it readily available and from where it looks a lot more efficient than mastic and although you work same as uk alwaya enter from the bottom wherever possible its not in my limited experience common knowledge over there
Last edited by geordie on Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geordie

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:18 pm

RR we were also the victim of the two wire disconnect :oops: I just went out and reconnected them wife paid the bill in the morning and nothing else was heard.

Oh! just to be on topic underground cable to connect electricity this was not an underground cable but an over head cable but as far as I know the electricity flowed without problems and no cremations were involved. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Is there another word for synonym?
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:31 pm

BKKBILL wrote:
Oh! just to be on topic underground cable to connect electricity this was not an underground cable but an over head cable but as far as I know the electricity flowed without problems and no cremations were involved. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sneaky :) :D :lol:

Referring to the topic doesn't make it on topic ... especially as the OP is the moderator of this thread :)

MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:05 pm

MGV12 wrote:[

Referring to the topic doesn't make it on topic ... especially as the OP is the moderator of this thread :)

That hardly seems fair. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
electricmeter.jpg
Better
Is there another word for synonym?
BKKBILL

Postby missiongrowers » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:31 am

your pictures are worth a thousand words ;) thank you. what is the black sealant used inside the metal fitting?
missiongrowers

PreviousNext

Return to electric