Building costs and Misc Questions

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Postby nickcar » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:53 pm

Guys,
More questions. I have just chosen my architect and at the initial discussion he mentioned a few things:
1 - You should not put foam board between your block because it inflammable. Leave it empty or use the injected stuff. Well I find it hard to believe that non_flammable polystyrene board is not available and injected stuff will be much more expensive. Leaving it empty won't be nearly as good for insulation - any comments?
2 - He suggested that leaving the space under the floor would be good as it allows air flow under the house and makes it easier to repair water pipes etc. I have always been afraid of creepy crawlies under the floor - snakes etc. He also mentioned that supporting the floor when it is built wouldn't increase the price - comments?
3 - he suggested having no ceiling in the sitting room Sort of lining the roof only - suggested it would be good to help keep cool and attractive. Even though it might be attractive I fear that some time in the future I might want to air condition it (global warming etc!) - though perhaps adding a ceiling might not be to expensive in the case I want to do that?

ps an amusing thought - if my wife had her way I would now have an excellent supply of furniture to go in he new house purchased at sales etc - but not enough money left to build the house 8)

on another day my thoughts on the risk analysis of building this house.

Regards
Nick
nickcar

Postby somdet » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:04 pm

#1- Can't help you there. Am using a single row of bricks for my house. I assume you can get non-flammable insulation from somewhere, but it might be expensive it is not a normal product here.

#2- my contractor gave me the same price for raising my floor or not. We decided to raise it. I am taking Cruizng's advice and making sure it is well ventilated AND well-secured.

#3- I don't think ceilings are very expensive at all. And it might look pretty cool having a big vaulted ceiling. I would like to have one.

Good luck.
somdet

Postby nickcar » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:13 pm

somdet,
Thanks for your response, I can't find the thread about "I am taking Cruizng's advice and making sure it is well ventilated AND well-secured" can you help me find it?
cheers
Nick
nickcar

Postby nickcar » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:19 pm

jazzman
you might not have noticed that I started my picture galery with a better copy of my floor plan. Interested to know if you think 300,00.00 is still a reasonable labour price. More detail when the architect finished.

Ps I was really hoping for your advise re my posting of 22nd - and others of course - Dozer?

i.e Guys,
More questions. I have just chosen my architect and at the initial discussion he mentioned a few things:
1 - You should not put foam board between your block because it inflammable. Leave it empty or use the injected stuff. Well I find it hard to believe that non_flammable polystyrene board is not available and injected stuff will be much more expensive. Leaving it empty won't be nearly as good for insulation - any comments?
2 - He suggested that leaving the space under the floor would be good as it allows air flow under the house and makes it easier to repair water pipes etc. I have always been afraid of creepy crawlies under the floor - snakes etc. He also mentioned that supporting the floor when it is built wouldn't increase the price - comments?
3 - he suggested having no ceiling in the sitting room Sort of lining the roof only - suggested it would be good to help keep cool and attractive. Even though it might be attractive I fear that some time in the future I might want to air condition it (global warming etc!) - though perhaps adding a ceiling might not be to expensive in the case I want to do that?
nickcar

Postby somdet » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:36 pm

Sorry, Nickcar, there is no thread from Cruzing. i had mentioned to her about raising the house and she sent me a couple private messages talking about how she wished she had ventilated her crawlspace better. You could probably send her a pm, she seems like a very helpful soul.
somdet

Postby dozer » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:40 pm

1 - You should not put foam board ....i
2 - He suggested that leaving the space under the floor......
3 - he suggested having no ceiling in the sitting room .....

1.) There was some discussion here about insulating materials, I like the foam, but the burnt rice husk used by Cruzing doesn't have the problem you suggest with flammibility.http://coolthaihouse.com/blog/?p=250
2.) Yes, it is a very good idea. Raised flooring is very common these days, with crawlspace access to plumbing etc. It must raise the cost of the project, but a very good design choice.
3.) Would need to see a mock up to comment.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby nickcar » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:51 pm

Guys,
a couple more questions.

outside walls. I have seen some very nice outside walls that are a) brick - size as in england, and b) brick size as in Thailand with the finish nicely done as compared to when they plan to cover with cement plaster.
My architect says that bricks in Thailand will get covered in Mould - very hard to believe unless they are poor quality or something. I have seen bricks used in Brisbane without problem. Anybody got any idea if this is true?
Secondly, do you think a brick finish like this would be much more expensive than the usual plaster finish - maybe coloured?

Thanks
Nick
nickcar

Postby dozer » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:54 pm

There are some pics of a perimeter wall build with larger size bricks that I reall like here (on the blog) http://coolthaihouse.com/blog/?p=255

Quote:
My architect says that bricks in Thailand will get covered in Mould
Not sure where he gets this, decorative brick finishes are used all the time and I've never seen a mold problem.

Brick finish will add some cost to the perimeter wall, especially like the one I wrote about on the blog, but this one is expensive due to style and extensive use of metal. If you just swapped out the cinder blocks for bricks the cost would be more expensive, but not prohibitively. Cinder blocks run 3.5 - 4 baht each, the larger dry stackable bricks which are quite popular now run between 10 - 15 baht apiece.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Rick B » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:40 am

Nickcar, rather than building your 1 meter high floor on top of filled in, compacted dirt and worrying about its affect on trees, you could build your floor the same way you would build the second floor of a two-storey house. You could use pre-stressed concrete slabs (pan peun in Thai) bridging across the foundations. These slabs cost about 250 baht per sq. m. Then a layer of 5 cm concrete reinfoced with 6mm wire mesh is poured on top of the slabs. The slabs are 5 cm thick and should not span anything longer than 4 meters. The house I'm getting ready to build will have the first floor 1.15 meters above "0" grade and I'm using the pre-stressed slab approach on the first floor as well as the second floor.
Rick B

Postby somdet » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:24 pm

The floor of my house was just done in exactly the way RickB described except that the pour was 7.5 cm. I am happy with it and confident that it is structurally sound. I am going on vacation for about a week but when I return I will post some picks of it in my gallery.
somdet

Postby thaifly » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:51 am

somdet wrote:The floor of my house was just done in exactly the way RickB described except that the pour was 7.5 cm. I am happy with it and confident that it is structurally sound. I am going on vacation for about a week but when I return I will post some picks of it in my gallery.
gidday somdet ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM ...exactly the same way that i had all my floorings done including my kitchen...laundry and guest house...which are separate to my two storey main house ...after it was completed i said to myself ...ITIS AS STRONG AS A MALLEE BULL....IN FACT IT WOULD TAKE A MASSIVE EARTHQUAKE TO MOVE THE FLOORS ....maerim is in fact on a fault line and we have recently had a couple good shakes.....and the buildings have passed so far.....in fact everything has passed the test .... u appear to be going well ......ITS A GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Previous

Return to material prices & building costs