One floor versus two.

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

One floor versus two.

Postby Ankrit Farang » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:53 am

Disappointed to receive no replies to my only previous post so I am reposting here.
Can anyone tell me the relative cost of a two storey construction versus a single floor?

Provisional enquiries to a Thai builder resulted in a quote of more than double the cost per metre of floor area for two floors. As both foundations and roof
areas are reduced by building on two floors this made no sense to me.
Ankrit Farang

Re: One floor versus two.

Postby thaifly » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:39 pm

Ankrit Farang wrote:Disappointed to receive no replies to my only previous post so I am reposting here.
Can anyone tell me the relative cost of a two storey construction versus a single floor?

Provisional enquiries to a Thai builder resulted in a quote of more than double the cost per metre of floor area for two floors. As both foundations and roof
areas are reduced by building on two floors this made no sense e.
GIDDAY ... ankrit farang....rule of the thumb.....quote...add on 30 percent..to ground floor price thats from my experience ...depends on what u want... hope i been of help..its a ITS A GIDDAY...from the thaifly from maerim
thaifly

Postby jazzman » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:46 pm

It can quite easily be double. The roof and the foundations may be there but it's quite expensive and labour intensive to put all the formwork up for the second floor, buy pan peun, and then concrete it over. Plus of course your foundat!ons and footings are going to be in the next price bracket anyway. Depending on the way the builder lists his estimate, he may also be including bathrooms. There are more bathrooms upstairs and bathrooms can be very expensive to eauip.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby thaifly » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:54 am

jazzman wrote:It can quite easily be double. The roof and the foundations may be there but it's quite expensive and labour intensive to put all the formwork up for the second floor, buy pan peun, and then concrete it over. Plus of course your foundat!ons and footings are going to be in the next price bracket anyway. Depending on the way the builder lists his estimate, he may also be including bathrooms. There are more bathrooms upstairs and bathrooms can be very expensive to eauip.
gidday to ankrit farang and jazzman ...what i should have said that if your ground floor was say 100 sq meters at 2000 baht a meter a total of 200.000 baht double that for the 1 st floor which would be 400.000 baht...then add on 30 percent 120.000baht ...total 520.000 baht ...rule of the thumb..mind u its a GIDDAY from the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby Ankrit Farang » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:21 pm

We now have a quote for the house which will be built at the end of the year hopefully(!) Very capable builder is putting up a large two storey house for the guy we bought our land from. His labour quote is 2,500 per sq. metre inclusive of both floors. The design is quite complicated with Three reception rooms, Five bedrooms and Six bathrooms plus kitchen etc. etc.
Total labour cost 600,000. Original design (from a book) had 294 sq metres
of floor space but we are making the house a couple of metres wider.
Original design building companies price is currently 6 million baht so I am hoping to come in well below that. I just hope the exchange rate picks up!
Ankrit Farang

Postby thomas.fontaine » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:35 pm

Ankrit, through your recent experience, do you have any feed back on this 1 floor versus 2 floors cost?

I am still a bit amazed that a double floor house ends up to be 30% more expensive than a single floor one (for the same total s.m. area). I haven't any quotation yet, but using a bit of mathematic and assuming that for a regular house:

1. Material is for 2/3, if not 3/4 of the overall cost. Therefore labor is 1/3 or 1/4 only.

2. Material cost for the 2nd floor is much lower than for the first since roofing and foundation are already there. And roofing is probably the most expensive element of a house.

Equation and all that do not conclude this way, even though labor cost is double than for the first floor! But mathematic logic and construction reality are probably 2 different things.
thomas.fontaine

Postby jazzman » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:42 am

One must take into account that there will also be expensive windows on a second floor, some doors, some more bathrooms and a stairwell which is complex to construct. Also the foundations and ground beams will have to be stronger, and the upper storey beams will also repeat the same pattern and need a lot of expensive formwork which is also very labour intensive.

Roofing is one of, but not always the most expensive item - a lot depends on what you put inside the house.

Only 30% more expensive is a deal :!: 50% would also be sustainable.
Your are right in taking into consideration that to base things on pure mathematical or academic logic would NOT provide the answer, certainly a detailed examination of the true materials and labour costs would be a more realistic approach. The effort would certainly pay off, and anyone who maintains he or she has a foreknowledge of Thai construction materials and methods will soon be able to put together his/her own BOQ.
Last edited by jazzman on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jazzman

Postby thaifly » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:01 pm

thomas.fontaine wrote:Ankrit, through your recent experience, do you have any feed back on this 1 floor versus 2 floors cost?

I am still a bit amazed that a double floor house ends up to be 30% more expensive than a single floor one (for the same total s.m. area). I haven't any quotation yet, but using a bit of mathematic and assuming that for a regular house:

1. Material is for 2/3, if not 3/4 of the overall cost. Therefore labor is 1/3 or 1/4 only.

2. Material cost for the 2nd floor is much lower than for the first since roofing and foundation are already there. And roofing is probably the most expensive element of a house.

Equation and all that do not conclude this way, even though labor cost is double than for the first floor! But mathematic logic and construction reality are probably 2 different things.
.......gidday thomas....ITSTHE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM.........been there .....done that....30 per cent..is a good call..butas my posting says ....DEPENDS ON WHAT U DO ........TO DETERMINE THE ACTUAL PRICE....SO THE GREAT JAZZMANS PRICE IS ACCEPTABLE TOO......one thing is for sure .... its in that price range ....ITS GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby jazzman » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:07 pm

Hi ThaiFly - you got me just as I was editing a major sintax error. But I think you understood where I was coming from - you always do :D
jazzman

Postby thaifly » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:21 pm

jazzman wrote:Hi ThaiFly - you got me just as I was editing a major sintax error. But I think you understood where I was coming from - you always do :D
.......GIDDAY TO THE GREAT JAZZMAN....yeah no worries ......matey.....i am now off to have a couple glasses of LINDEMANS SOFT RED ..with lunch..ITS A S GOOD AS IT GETS .....ITS A BIG GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Re: One floor versus two.

Postby John Thede » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:47 pm

Hello.

I am at the moment making drawings for a 2 storey concrete building,
with a 1,1 meter balcony all around the house to keep walls cooled.
Its all in all 244 m2 each floor.

Weight of only the concreter pillars. foot, and beams is for the first floor
some 36 ton.
plus 2. floor, and as well a concrete separation to the roofing, makes the weight
124 Ton. It increase the foot plates from 90x90 cm to 120x120 cm.
The pressure on each foot 120x120 is 5,5 ton.
Imagine how much better the ground soil must be adding a 2. floor to a building.

The roofing is off cause the same and not more expensive just like that.

But the form work is extremely expensive the way Thai do it.
Rent prefabv forms, make your drawings able to use prefab. and rent all
the needed equipment for this, and you will see how much cost can be decreased

But still, there is a lot more steel and concrete put into a 2 storey building.
You can calculate that your self. concrete weight some 2,5 ton pr m3.
Then, the 2, storey is also use for some thing, bathroom is expensive to build.
Kitchen and bathroom is normally some 3 - 4 time more expensive
than generel living area, and 2. floor is most the time used fopr private matters
so there are mauybe 4 sleep rooms weith individual bathrooms upstairs.
I do hope that some fact can let you feel why its more than double price.

Kindly
John
Denmark, and Korat
John Thede

Return to material prices & building costs