Price per sqm for a western european style house in Thailand

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Price per sqm for a western european style house in Thailand

Postby Kim » Mon May 14, 2007 6:38 am

When making a budget for building a house in Thailand, is there any difference on building costs between where it is builded? For instance compare between Sattahip and Surin.

And what did you use per sqm? I see someone is saying 3 000,- for Thai house and 7 000,- for a western, is this correct or what should I excpect that it would cost per sqm the house would be 1 storey and approx 150sqm.

Any advice on cost reduction and a bit of preview on what to excpect would be nice!

Z
Kim

Postby JASONTHAI » Mon May 14, 2007 9:49 am

Hi Kim I have just finished building a house, little smaller that what you have in plan, my house is about 120 sq metres and I paid 835,000 baht which included builders cost, toilet, sink & shower, kitchen sink, cupboards & gas hob & lights fittings around the house, this works out to be 7000 baht a sq metre, you can get this price to go down but it depends on your taste, I spent 21k just getting the toilet, sink & shower unit.

With regards to saving on builders cost, yes you can save but it depends on where you want to live, pattaya bangkok builders cost who be higher but not by that much but it soon adds up!, I built my place in Korat I had a set agreement with them for 240,000 & I did not have to buy them food & drink everyday (part of the agreement with them) which is something else which adds to the cost, your house will take about 3 months to finish so think about having to spend 200 or 300 baht a day on food & drink (25,000 baht or more wasted) anyway here's some pictures of my house, any questions please feel free to let me know or look at Jazzmans posts he is very good and I know he will help

Cheers
Jason
Attachments
Picture 097.jpg
The shop again
Picture 095.jpg
The shop
Picture 090.jpg
The front room again
Picture 089.jpg
The front room
Picture 092.jpg
The kitchen
Picture 087.jpg
Side of the house
Picture 085.jpg
The house taking shape
Where's my Chang beer
JASONTHAI

Postby JASONTHAI » Mon May 14, 2007 9:55 am

Here's some more photo's
Attachments
Picture 101.jpg
Picture 100.jpg
Picture 097.jpg
Where's my Chang beer
JASONTHAI

Postby SVielha » Tue May 15, 2007 12:51 pm

What kind of stones are this in the wall at the stairs?
SVielha

Postby JASONTHAI » Wed May 16, 2007 8:35 am

Hi these are not bricks as such they are cermented onto the wall just like tiles, they cost about 10 baht each and come in packs of 5, they come in various sizes and colour
Where's my Chang beer
JASONTHAI

Postby JASONTHAI » Wed May 16, 2007 8:37 am

I also has glass blocks put into the wall (40 baht each)
Where's my Chang beer
JASONTHAI

Postby jazzman » Wed May 16, 2007 4:13 pm

Jason, I bow to you sir, in appreciation of those kind words :)

Kim,
Jason's calculations are about right when compared to mine. His house and budget are very similar to mine.You'll need to click on my name in the side bar and then click on 'find all posts by Jazzman'.
You will probably need to be using the 'SoftGreen' skin for this forum though, as the light blue skin may not not have all the features.
There is some interesting stuff about windows, electrics and sewage, but as far as the electrics are concerned, if you want any advice, Itchy is the guy to look up.

Beware of the glass blocks at around 50 baht. The clear ones are ok, but I bought green ones at around the same price and it turned out that instead of being genuine green glass, they were just covered with a very thin colour film which peeled off when the builders wiped their inevitable messy cement and paint off them. They now look terrible. Fortunately they are in bathroom windows at the back and no one (unless I pointed it out) has noticed. For the green glass blocks around the aluminium window frames and font door we bought others exactly the same colour, but real coloured glass for 95 baht each.

If you look at the pics of our house
you will see that we have the same sandstone blocks decorating the plinth of the house and the pillars in the living room and kitchen. We fetched them from Pak Chong near Korat at 350 baht per sq.m.

My house is about 156 sq.m and I negotiated 200,000 baht for the labour so the contract price came to about 3,588 baht per sq.m., and threw in an extra 10,000 bonus for good measure. Build time was just over 5 months and the beer for the workers came to around 9,000 baht.

See the full story and all the stages of construction here: http://coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/thumbnails.php?album=6
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Per Sqm

Postby hkexpat » Thu May 17, 2007 11:43 am

jazzman wrote:Jason, I bow to you sir, in appreciation of those kind words :)

Kim,
Jason's calculations are about right when compared to mine. His house and budget are very similar to mine.You'll need to click on my name in the side bar and then click on 'find all posts by Jazzman'.
You will probably need to be using the 'SoftGreen' skin for this forum though, as the light blue skin may not not have all the features.
There is some interesting stuff about windows, electrics and sewage, but as far as the electrics are concerned, if you want any advice, Itchy is the guy to look up.

Beware of the glass blocks at around 50 baht. The clear ones are ok, but I bought green ones at around the same price and it turned out that instead of being genuine green glass, they were just covered with a very thin colour film which peeled off when the builders wiped their inevitable messy cement and paint off them. They now look terrible. Fortunately they are in bathroom windows at the back and no one (unless I pointed it out) has noticed. For the green glass blocks around the aluminium window frames and font door we bought others exactly the same colour, but real coloured glass for 95 baht each.

If you look at the pics of our house
you will see that we have the same sandstone blocks decorating the plinth of the house and the pillars in the living room and kitchen. We fetched them from Pak Chong near Korat at 350 baht per sq.m.

My house is about 156 sq.m and I negotiated 200,000 baht for the labour so the contract price came to about 3,588 baht per sq.m., and threw in an extra 10,000 bonus for good measure. Build time was just over 5 months and the beer for the workers came to around 9,000 baht.

In terms of beer then, its' 57.6 baht/m2.

See the full story and all the stages of construction here: http://coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/thumbnails.php?album=6
hkexpat

Postby Rick B » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:08 am

Jazzman:

I'm trying to figure out how you arrived at 3,588 baht per sq. m. for your contract price. By my calculations, paying 200,000 baht for a 156 sq. m. house results is 1,282 baht per sq. m. contract cost for labor, excluding the beer costs. Am I missing something???
Rick B

Return to material prices & building costs