Money better kept in Pocket

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Money better kept in Pocket

Postby dozer » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:39 pm

Feedback form received from Lacerne D

I've lived in Phuket for 14-years and I've realized that even with a contract, a falang has little recourse here. I've engaged the "services" of dozens of contractors here and spent many millions of Baht for construction. Unfortunately, I've met more dishonest and unskilled Thais than otherwise in the past 17-years I've been in Thailand and ethics, that's a trait that's considered a handicap or psychological abnormality by most Thais.

You're correct, if you don't have a written contract, you "don't stand a chance" but honestly, it's a predatory environment and most foreigners are better off just keeping their money at home 'cause the majority will leave with much less money than they arrived with.

"Caveat emptor" Falang!
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Itchy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:32 pm

I think this falls into the oft quoted, but seldom followed, advice -

"Do not Invest Money in Thailand that you can't afford to loose”

The problem is people (all of us) get very emotional about where we call home, it is no good telling some guy approaching retirement and sinking his life’s savings into a house in Thailand that he’s taking a risk he can’t afford to loose on.

He’ll probably tell you he’s fed up of doing the right thing all the time and wants to live a bit.

The flip side is, there are no protections – Hence the value of websites like this where first hand information can be had with no advertisers strings attached.

I’ll add that A.N.Other website had some peculiar moderating going on when the recent storm blew up over registration of land under foreign/Thai companies – It was very clear that some of the posts where stepping right on the toes of the advertisers.

A point to remember, and another bit of Latin to memorize and recall whenever taking advice in Thailand.

Qui Bono – Who Benefits?
Itchy

Postby jazzman » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:21 pm

Money better kept in pocket? - or PHUKET...

Dozer is right of course but he has chosen to live in one of the most notorious farang enclaves which will of course attract a whole load of miscreants and certainly not only of the Thai variety. It is probably also unfortunately rumoured that he may have a lot of money to spend on his building projects. He may be a builder himself, and if he is it's worth knowing, then joining the queue :)

Up country the picture is very different. Isaan for example is not swarming with westerners with money to burn - that's one of the reasons we're here and not in Phuket or Pattaya ;-) and the locals know it. They are mostly careful to give us a fair deal because they are afraid of killing the goose that may lay the occasional, modest golden egg.

There is no harm in always asking to see what they have built already and meeting some of their satisfied customers. If they can't or won't respond to this request, you know what to do.

Let us not forget that there is no other sale or service the world over that exploits the naivity of its customers as much as the building trade does. It's not only a Thai phenomenon. there are plenty of carpetbaggers in Britain trying to sell you double glazing or re tarmac your drive:

June 1995, Malvern, England. the dorbell rings at 2pm on a Saturday afternoon at Jazzman's parents' house (both retirees) on a nice secluded estate of senior citizens.
Two Irishmen touch their forelocks, "That'll be 200 quid Mister."
"What will?"
"The new tarmac on your drive."
"I didn't ask for it."
"That's not what we think."
"I'm not paying you."
"We have ways of dealing with sticky customers."
"Have you indeed? Have you done nextdoor's as well?"
"Oh yes, we have too."
"Are they in?"
"No, but we'll be back."
"That's good, because he's the local chief of police!"

Jazzman
jazzman

Postby dozer » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:09 pm

oney better kept in pocket? - or PHUKET...

Dozer is right of course but he has chosen to live in one of the most notorious farang enclaves which will of course attract a whole load of miscreants and certainly not only of the Thai variety. It is probab

Just to point out the posts in this section are from feedback emails I get from the main website that I find interesting. They are not from me nor do I necessarily agree with them.

Up country the picture is very different. Isaan for example is not swarming with westerners with money to burn - that's one of the reasons we're here and not in Phuket or Pattaya Wink and the locals know it.

The Ms is from Udon, from my own non scientific survey there are plenty of problem stories from both areas - Udon and Pattaya. If I were to assign risk of getting ripped off I would rate Pattaya 6 on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 = 100% chance of getting ripped off) and Udon about a 4.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby jazzman » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:20 am

Point taken Dozer. A published blacklist would of course be inadmissible, but there would be no harm in posters inviting readers to ask for names by PM or email. Maybe there is room for a "Been Ripped Off?" forum.

BTW, I was referring to the enclaves of Pattaya and Phuket (I'm still not sure where you are based - I thought the coolthaihouse was in the south somewhere). I may have been working from my office in BKK for 6 years, but my home is near Udon, and my activity base is is mainly in the Udon, Nong Khai, Nong Bualmphu, Loei, Kalasin, Mahasarakham and Khon Kaen provinces. I do get around a lot and in the rest of Th too. In Isaan, I never hear anything like the number of rip-off reports I get from Central and Southern Th., or the Chonburi/Rayong region.
From the feedback I get from others, and from my own experience by often pretending to be a potential naive target for scammers, I would put Pattaya/Jomtien as a clear #1.
Nong Khai has its circle of scoundrels and a couple of Brits have been in the nick there recently for realestate/building scams, but although a popular retiree destination, NK has a much, much smaller farang contingent.
jazzman

Return to material prices & building costs