Can you really build for 30k USD?

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Can you really build for 30k USD?

Postby dozer » Wed May 03, 2006 6:49 pm

Sumitted from Harry P

I'm a contractor here in L.A.Ca
My wife and I want to retire, I think your web site and information is briliant.
We'd like to find or build a 2 bed room 2 bath cosy home for ourselves.
Maybe a view maybe near the beach.
Could I really build for 30,000 usd?
Permits?
Plans?
We wil be over in a few months to check things out.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby dozer » Wed May 03, 2006 6:55 pm

Hi Harry:

The biggest variable in the equation is LAND COST. There is a real spike in land prices in expat/tourist locations.
1 Rai = .40 acre (you can build on 1/4 Rai, plenty big)

Pattaya beachfront = 50 million bhat
Jomtien beachfront = 12 million bhat
Pattaya/Jomtien area beach view = 6 million bhat
Pattaya/Jomtien area lake/reservior view = 1.5 million bhat
Pattaya/Jomtien area further out = 1 million bhat
Upcountry Land, Village = 80,000 bhat
Upcountry land, Farm = 20,000 bhat

As far as the building costs you can still build a very comfortable house with all amenities complete for under 1 million bhat.

cheers,

dozer
dozer
Site Admin

Postby cruzing » Mon May 08, 2006 5:05 pm

dozer wrote:Hi Harry:

The biggest variable in the equation is LAND COST. There is a real spike in land prices in expat/tourist locations.
1 Rai = .40 acre (you can build on 1/4 Rai, plenty big)

Pattaya beachfront = 50 million bhat
Jomtien beachfront = 12 million bhat
Pattaya/Jomtien area beach view = 6 million bhat
Pattaya/Jomtien area lake/reservior view = 1.5 million bhat
Pattaya/Jomtien area further out = 1 million bhat
Upcountry Land, Village = 80,000 bhat
Upcountry land, Farm = 20,000 bhat

As far as the building costs you can still build a very comfortable house with all amenities complete for under 1 million bhat.

cheers,

dozer

We are 2km from the seaside and there are some lots for sale near us in a housing resort. Not sure on the cost of the new lots...seems like I heard they were cheaper than the last ones.....don't know for sure though.....probably not. The first group was around 1.5 mil for 100 tw.

You might be able to build a house for 1 mil, but I doubt you would have what you are accustomed to and it would totally be built thai style, which means the supporting poles and red brick for walls. minimal if any insulation. Hot all day long unless you run a/c all the time. Of course if you happened to be a shady grove of trees..............might not be too bad.

cruzing
cruzing

Postby jazzman » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:17 am

Excluding the cost of land acquisition (rural Isaan: farmland 10,000 baht per rai, main village roadside 140,000 - 250,000 baht per rai) it is certainly more than possible to build a nice, comfortable home for much less than $30K - with the obvious exceptions of Phucket and Pattaya.

My 156 sq.m three bed, two bathroom home cost 560,000 to build. Check out my other postings on this forum for full details.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to material prices & building costs