Cost to build a house ?

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Cost to build a house ?

Postby Guest » Wed May 04, 2005 7:29 pm

Out of interest, I woudl like to get some feedback as to what is an acceptable cost per square metre to build a house here ?

A 270sqm nice home using best materials and western kitchen etc.

Any ideas ?

high end expensive project

Postby dozer » Wed May 04, 2005 9:34 pm

You might check out this post http://coolthaihouse.com/blog/?p=155. These were some luxury villas auctioned off for between 17k to 28k per square meter (subtracting out land value). Although I didn't really like a lot of the design, there were along the line of what you are talking about. The prices include a pool.

I talked to one subcontracting company who said that they had been contracted to build out the 'shell' of some of the units which didn't include the ceiling, electrical, etc. for 9k per sq. meter, yielding a total build out cost of 15k or so.

In my estimation I think you should target around 12k to 18k per square meter depending on how you go about it.
dozer
Site Admin

Re: Cost to build a house ?

Postby jazzman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:26 am

Update for anyone picking up this older thread:
Because in the meantime prices have soared and come down again with bump, Dozer's 2005 estimations are still pretty accurate for mid November 2008.

A basic house such as Dozer's CoolThaiHouse, and Jazzman's house can be built with extremely careful planning and organising one's own labour for less than 7,000 using standard materials, but with proper Western style budget kitchen and sanitary ware. One CTH member, Somdet, has reported getting a turn-key deal from a contractor for 7,000 baht near Chonburi in the fall of 2007, but some changes in design and other events may well have exceeded this.

Square meter prices do not of course include the actual kitchen hob, hood, or built-in microwave and oven or built-in cupboards, shelves or wardrobes designed to replace stand-alone furniture. They do not include the extra cost of a reserve water tank, pump or any water treatment systems.

However:
Asking how much a house costs is about as useful as asking "How long is a piece of string?"; there are so many variables, not least how much one has to spend, and which of the two criteria - size and quality - is the most important.
Extensive advice on planning a project budget is here:
http://coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1316
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby thomas.fontaine » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:06 am

I am roughly half way through the building process and I feel I would not make any major adjustment to my overall budget now since we have a Lump Sum agreement with the Builder and all procurement work that was agreed to be handled by us is done.

So here is the final (hopefully) budget to build our 200 m2 house in 2008 in Khon Kaen. I would describe the house as being in the middle to upper range in term of design complexity, choice of material and equipment. Our Price is made of a Lump Sum price for the labor and supply of the main building material (concrete, steel, cement, piping, electricity...) + a budget for the procurement as listed below

1. Lump Sum price is 1,540k. Although we never asked the question to Pi Lek, I would assume that this Lump Sum is roughly made of 400k for direct labor and subcontracted labor, 600k for the material and 540k as profit margin. That excludes perimeter wall and driveway and any other work on the land.

2. Procurement budget is 960k, broken down as follow:

- Roof tiles and accessories from Ayara = 210k (this is high range choice, around 3 to 4 time more expensive than the usual CPAC tiles)
- Wooden roof finishing = 130k (this is basically all material added to the roof but not directly involved in the watertightness: overhang..)
- Wooden doors and windows = 110k
- Doors and windows frames = 30k
- Floor and wall tiles + parquet = 180k (again, relatively expensive choices here: tiles at 500 ++ per m2 except Terra Cotta at 300 per m2 and parquet at 1,300 per m2)
- Wooden baluster for the terrace and other decorative elements = 60k
- Water supply related material = 45k (water tank, water heater, pump, misc. piping)
- Bathrooms accessories / Sanitary ware = 60k for 2 bathrooms
- Kitchen (cabinet, sink and tap, and the few basic electrical equipments) = 85k
- Others (drawings, fans x 5, usufruct, plants...) = 50k

Any adjustment to this As Built budget would now come from either a major construction issue (mistake from the Builder and cost of repair) or additional items not initially budgeted and that we can afford to add (we are for instance thinking about adding a 20 m2 teakwood deck attached to the house)

Overall As Built budget is 2,500k for a 200 m2 house. I must admit I am still not clear on how to calculate the m2 in Thailand. In our case, we have 120 m2 of covered living area + 80 m2 of partially covered terrace. Does it make a 200 m2 house?

Assuming that is a 200 m2 house, budget is therefore at 12.5k per m2, again for a middle-upper range house (choice of roof tiles, parquet, wooden doors and windows, quite a lot of wooden stuff...)

The Builder profit margin is in the range of 2.5k per m2

The price to have the material described above instead of basic material is roughly 400k. Basic material being CPAC tiles, floor tiles at 200 baht per m2, no wooden decorative elements, bricks instead of Q-con blocks, cheaper sanitary ware...Therefore 2k per m2

From there, for those who are willing to go for a "do it yourself" house with basic materials and equipment, our house would be around 8k per m2. Although I believe this figure would be very difficult to reach.

Conclusion: my own experience tends to confirm the different figures I have seen on this web site. From 7/8k per m2 for a "do it yourself" with basic materials to 10/15k for middle range house and up to...much more than that if you decide to have very expensive equipment and material
thomas.fontaine

Postby Nawty » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:37 am

Square meter here from all my experience is every single space you can see, even outside wall to outside wall, all balconies, all carports, under stairs, decking everything.

I am still somewhat confused by this at times.

I got a quote a long time ago for a house where they calculated the sqm from the plans, they got 550sqm and multiplied there per sqm price by this.

I knew that there was absolutely no more than 430sqm......simply not possible, every nook and cranny included.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby thaifly » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:41 pm

thomas.fontaine wrote:
Overall As Built budget is 2,500k for a 200 m2 house. I must admit I am still not clear on how to calculate the m2 in Thailand. In our case, we have 120 m2 of covered living area + 80 m2 of partially covered terrace. Does it make a 200 m2 house?

gidday its the thaifly from maerim....to myway of thinking..and the following is open to discussion..in thomas case it is not in the 200 sq metre bracket as as 80 sq metres is a terrace..therefore no roof..walls etc etc ... ...therefore i would use the following rule of the thumb equation..120 sq metre covered living area..and halved the 80 sq metre terrace to 40 sq metres taking in to account that there is no roof walls e.t.c...total 160 SQ METRES........its a rockets scientist GIDDAY to all its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby thomas.fontaine » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:38 pm

May be Thaifly...who knows...

The projected roof surface, including overhangs, is 215 m2. The living area (inside walls) is 120 m2. My house is not exactly a single floor house since I have a 1.4m high crawl space with floor...The built-up area, the way they define it here in Malaysia, is 200 m2 (the area where you can actually walk, whatever the height of the ceiling or whether it is inside or outside, including parking if any and wall thickness (!)

What is however sure is that when our Builder gave us his price, he was looking at the plan drawing without thinking about the roof. I therefore like to believe that total surface is the built-up area. :idea:
Last edited by thomas.fontaine on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thomas.fontaine

Postby jazzman » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:52 pm

Well done Thomas - that is excellent input. The cost of a house like your is certainly not easy to calculate.
I tend to calculate the m2 cost based on anything that is under a roof, so that includes all the eaves overhangs. Any non-covered terraces are calculated extra based on the materials and labour for footings/GBs, concrete, and tiles, etc.
jazzman

Postby thaifly » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:56 am

jazzman wrote:I tend to calculate the m2 cost based on anything that is under a roof, so that includes all the eaves overhangs. Any non-covered terraces are calculated extra based on the materials and labour for footings/GBs, concrete, and tiles, etc.
gidday to all ...its the thaifly from mae rim..agreed the great jazzman..the above is a very fair way of putting it.. my calculated guess of 50% add on for uncovered terraces...covers your extras..E.G. ...MATERIALS/LABOUR..ETC. ETC. ......THOMAS .. it must be remember that roofing is the second most costly item on the building agenda.. which on your project 80 sq metres is non covered..so that particular area cannot in my view be calculated as fair game on total sq metres... pricing...therefore..the great jazzmans answer is a sensible one...and mine is a very quick rule of the thumb calculation..and i would say i would be in the ball park figure...all in all .. you have met your budget figure...that is a very important goal accomplished..i would nt be too concerned about sq metres pricing as it varies so much from one project to another.....MEMBERS ... your budget forecast figure is a vital component in acheiving success..not a sq metre price....best of luck in finishing off your project..but be reminded that it is not over until THE FAT LADY SINGS... its A VERY POOR CHELSEA gidday to all its THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby thomas.fontaine » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:10 pm

OK. In that case, my house is 215 m2 + extra for the uncovered terrace
thomas.fontaine

Return to material prices & building costs