quotes for house in Nakhon Sawan

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

quotes for house in Nakhon Sawan

Postby Fritz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:07 pm

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are thinking about building a house on a plot of land that we own in Takhli, Nakon Sawan.

We just started asking around to get an idea of the price range.

We have two ideas. One is a modern style two story town house structure (detached of course) with a flat concrete roof, two stories. We like this style and we can give it our own finishing touch. I like the structure as it allows room for extra parts to be added later on. Ground floor 5,5 x 10. Second floor 5,5 x 8 to leave space at the back for a balcony. 3 standard bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, nothing fancy, standard bathroom equipment, single brick outside walls, townhouse structure build and we do the kitchen ourselves. Off the cuff quote at 2,5 mil up.

The other idea is a bungalow style house with a concrete roof 2 bedrooms, standard kitchen, 2 baths, relatively straightforward build, not many corners, total floor area about 100 sqm. Again we do the kitchen, single brick outside walls. We were quoted again something around 2,5 mil up.

This seems a bit high. My wife went alone, they don't know that I'm a foreigner, she's Thai (gov employee) and when asked why the quotes were so high 3 builders gave the answer that Takhli was simply expensive. Mind you, there is nothing there and the building and material prices should just be on par with what I read elsewhere on the forum right? They say everyone pays that much and so should we. My guess is that the contractors have all made a deal and are driving up the prices.

We were thinking about asking a contractor from outside but this might lead to problems we were told.
I've looked at similar townhouse projects in BKK and you can get that for 2.5 mil including land etc.

Any ideas? I'm a bit clueless at the moment as I thought that building prices ranged somewhere between 7,000 and 13,000 baht per built sqm depending on your wishes for a single story house.

Maybe prices have gone up though.

Thanks in advance
Fritz

Re: quotes for house in Nakhon Sawan

Postby Fritz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:10 pm

Oh in addition we were quoted for a decent looking 1.80 m x 20m perimeter wall without a gate 100,000 baht without "commission" which, according to most of them runs at 20K per job.

Is this right?
Fritz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:28 am

Fritz,
A couple of things; you don't say what quality you want and you don't say who is supplying the material.
For 2.5 million you should get nearly/over 200 sq mts.
Get a contractor from outside to give you a quote. You really do need plans to make things easier.
Have a look at a few of the builds and they'll give you some ideas.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Makmak456 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:56 am

Sounds like they all drink at the same bar, and the DO know that you are the $$$.
Yes, 7-10 K TBH per Sq M is a average price. Even lower if you micro-mgr the project, but that means that you are on site 24/7 durring build.

They are planning on making a cool 1,000,000+ on your build.
Makmak456

Postby Fritz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking something else was going on as well. Chances are small they know my wife is married to a foreigner and the people who do know, know that I'm working in Thailand so I don't have that much money anyway. (besides that money tree I'm growing in farang land of course)

However, we've been asking around and it seems like most people are just settling for the prices. Our neighbors are having a story and a half house built (120 M2) for over 2.5M. Other people seem to find it rather fancy to pay quite a bit for it so they can show off. They're running themselves hugely in debt by taking out government loans to cover all the cost.

The development projects in town are going at ridiculous prices as well and in my opinion the high end finishing touch they provide is not that high end after all... Standard kitchens, normal windows, a bit of fancy paneling here and there which comes off the wall if you touch it, but nothing which should really run into the millions if you ask me. Not to speak of location.....

We would supply the materials ourselves, i.e., buy them and have them delivered. The quality that we indicated for our house was just average. Nothing fancy, minor details we'll take for our cost, single layer plastered brick outer walls and inner walls. Straightforward build without a lot of corners and a floor area up to 100 M2. We're only with the two of us so that'll do the job for us now. Also, they don't have to do any raising as the land has been raised 6 years ago and is solid. Land doesn't have to be cleared either. Windows and doors will be standard PVC from Global house running at 4-7K per window and 12K for sliding doors. We'll provide the plans and architecture so no costs included in that. They keep talking about a commission as they have to outsource specific jobs as well. I thought that was a bit fishy as well. I know that contractors subcontract others to do the work for them but why should we pay a commission over that.

Their argumentation that prices are high because quite a few rich people have settled in the area is of course rubbish. Land prices might go up but I always thought that the prices of steel, rebar, cement, stone, sand and bricks were rather insensitive to the presence of a couple of fancier houses in town. I might be wrong. I've been in Thailand for a while so I have an idea of how things work and this doesn't sound OK to me. Also I have been reading TCH for a couple of years and I've seen very nice projects on here at very reasonable budgets.

We'll contact a builder outside the province hopefully this weekend to see what they say. We live close to Chainat so that shouldn't be a problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong but can anyone confirm the rule of thumb for the second story building price per sqm being the 150% of the ground floor sqm price? So if you build for 10K psqm the second story would run at 15K psqm?

Many thanks!
Fritz
Fritz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:24 pm

Fritz,
You need to look at my build .... building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret ...I paid for builder number one 1.3 million to get to lock-up stage with me supplying all the material and that is for a house over 400 square metres with all higher end material.
You are being ripped off.
As I said before, read a few threads.
Roger Ramjet

Postby pipoz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Fritz wrote:Oh in addition we were quoted for a decent looking 1.80 m x 20m perimeter wall without a gate 100,000 baht without "commission" which, according to most of them runs at 20K per job.

Is this right?

I just finished doing my cost estmate for materials and labour for my front boundary wall . The wall is 30 m total length and is 2 meters high, (top of concrete pad to top of wall). Pads footings are 700mm square x 1000mm deep, column spacing is 4.5 m center to center, columns are 250mm square and blocks are 400 x 200 x 200 Hollows

Cost estmate comes out to TB 87,000 for a 30 m long x 2 meter high wall or TB 2,900 per linear meter wall length. This works out to TB 1,450 per m2 of actual wall area for an RC structure (pad footings, small toe beam/upstand beam and columns), with Blockwork wall infills. These rates do not inlcude the cost of rendering/painting the columns/walls.

My material cost (Concrete, reinforcement, blocks, motar) works out to about TB 980 per m2 of wall area.

My Labour (Day labour or Fixed Rate per LM) + Formwork cost, comes to around TB 470 per m2 of wall area.

I am going down next week to buy the materials so I will let you know how I go with my materail costs

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Fritz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:44 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Fritz,
You need to look at my build .... building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret ...I paid for builder number one 1.3 million to get to lock-up stage with me supplying all the material and that is for a house over 400 square metres with all higher end material.
You are being ripped off.
As I said before, read a few threads.

I will, thanks. I have had a look at your project a while ago. That's where my questions started popping up when I heard these quotes.

I'm doing my homework now, figuring out a good house plan from an existing plan that we liked in the first place so we can give this to other contractors. My plan is to contact some in Nakhon Sawan and in Chainat just to see what they can do.

We have the time as we have a cheap rental about 1 km away from the building site. This is close to my wife's work as well so she can pop over whenever is necessary. We intend to buy the materials ourselves as we know local shops. My plan is to have them built the house as a basic finished structure with basic bathrooms fitted tiling done etc. Kitchen, extra bathroom accessories etc. I can work out myself and do it at a later stage. I'll post the plans when I have finished them. We have finished a house before as we bought our current house from a project but did all the finishing touches ourselves, including tiling, kitchen, bathrooms etc.

This will be a learning experience again in Thailand but I'm OK with that.
Thanks again.
Fritz

Postby Fritz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:53 pm

pipoz wrote:
Fritz wrote:Oh in addition we were quoted for a decent looking 1.80 m x 20m perimeter wall without a gate 100,000 baht without "commission" which, according to most of them runs at 20K per job.

Is this right?

I just finished doing my cost estmate for materials and labour for my front boundary wall . The wall is 30 m total length and is 2 meters high, (top of concrete pad to top of wall). Pads footings are 700mm square x 1000mm deep, column spacing is 4.5 m center to center, columns are 250mm square and blocks are 400 x 200 x 200 Hollows

Cost estmate comes out to TB 87,000 for a 30 m long x 2 meter high wall or TB 2,900 per linear meter wall length. This works out to TB 1,450 per m2 of actual wall area for an RC structure (pad footings, small toe beam/upstand beam and columns), with Blockwork wall infills. These rates do not inlcude the cost of rendering/painting the columns/walls.

My material cost (Concrete, reinforcement, blocks, motar) works out to about TB 980 per m2 of wall area.

My Labour (Day labour or Fixed Rate per LM) + Formwork cost, comes to around TB 470 per m2 of wall area.

I am going down next week to buy the materials so I will let you know how I go with my materail costs

pipoz

Thanks for the info. Our wall would be 2,00 high and a total stretch of 24.5 m. with the gate in between it will be about 20m. Based on your cost estimate ours would be around 60K and not 120K as they calculated. We might be lucky as we can get some cheap labor through the family though for the perimeter wall.

I've previously heard quotes of around 2,000 baht per linear meter wall length but this might have been a while ago.
Fritz

Postby pipoz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:37 am

Hi Fritz,

I will post a drawing of my design tomorrow, as my design is a bit more than the normal Thai wall ,as it has a Toe Slab.

My guess is if I deleted my extras, and built it the normal Thai way it would cost me around TB 1,250 per m2 of wall area, without render/paint.

Hope this helps

pipoz
pipoz

Postby jazzman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:28 am

There is a huge amount of information on perimeter walls , including cost breakdowns and drawings, in the dedicated section at http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Fritz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:40 am

jazzman wrote:There is a huge amount of information on perimeter walls , including cost breakdowns and drawings, in the dedicated section at http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

Excellent! Thanks. I was planning to spend some time searching the forum this weekend to collect information but this saves a bit of time.
Fritz

Postby jazzman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:00 am

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but here in Isan a good 2m high wall can be built correctly for about ฿1,700.00 per linear metre. However, good workmanship is essential, and the footing under each post must be deep enough to prevent the wall leaning in the future - look around and you will see many walls that have been poorly constructed. Depth of footings is more important than the actual strength of the structure - a wall is in fact quite light.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby Fritz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:01 pm

jazzman wrote:I can't speak for the rest of the country, but here in Isan a good 2m high wall can be built correctly for about ฿1,700.00 per linear metre. However, good workmanship is essential, and the footing under each post must be deep enough to prevent the wall leaning in the future - look around and you will see many walls that have been poorly constructed. Depth of footings is more important than the actual strength of the structure - a wall is in fact quite light.

We are quite lucky in a sense. The wall that needs to be built is on very solid ground and will be joined with the other walls present on the plots to the left and right of us. The neighbors on both sides have been nice enough to already built walls on the side so we only have to close up the front. Will hopefully know more this weekend.

I'll post some pics of the land soon.

Thanks,
Fritz

Postby jazzman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:21 pm

I was also lucky too. I was considering building a 60 m wall down one side of my land. I went to the UK for a few weeks last year and when I came back to Thailand, the new neighbour had built the wall saving me at least ฿100,000 ! All I need to do now is render and paint my side of it.
jazzman

Next

Return to material prices & building costs