Small house in Surin

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Small house in Surin

Postby jvjessen » Thu May 31, 2012 8:05 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, well I've been lurking for a while to read up on all the good advice and info, but now it's time I want to start building a little house.

It's not a place where I will be living full time, so it's limited how much I'm willing to spend on it. (living and working mostly in Bangkok)

I'm trying to find out what a reasonable cost would be, here are some basic plans I've drawn up:

I'm currently waiting for a quotation from a builder, I would be grateful for some input when I get it on whether it's reasonable or not.

Edit: I should probably add that I'm aiming for something less than 1 million baht, all included, the piece of land has already been raised.

Cheers
jvjessen

Re: Small house in Surin

Postby Makmak456 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:52 pm

It would help alot to add size SM2 ??????
construction type std thai style or falang style ?????
type of roof cheap steel or fancy glazed cermic ???
Qcon block or cinder/concrete block, or the little red bricks ???
steel roof supports or wood ???
glass windows or thai wood shutters???

so 20,000 USD to 100,000 USD
rounded off in TBH to 600,000 to 3,000,000
Makmak456

Postby Makmak456 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:53 pm

PS Welcome to C T H
Mark
Makmak456

Postby jvjessen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:20 pm

Makmak456 wrote:PS Welcome to C T H
Mark

jvjessen

Postby jvjessen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:33 pm

Makmak456 wrote:It would help alot to add size SM2 ??????
construction type std thai style or falang style ?????
type of roof cheap steel or fancy glazed cermic ???
Qcon block or cinder/concrete block, or the little red bricks ???
steel roof supports or wood ???
glass windows or thai wood shutters???

so 20,000 USD to 100,000 USD
rounded off in TBH to 600,000 to 3,000,000

Thanks for reply :)

Yeah, sorry, I haven't been very specific. So I know it would be a wild guess :)

It will be just under 120sqm. 1 level, but raised about 1 meter, even though the land is raised already, I don't want to take any chances.

For roof it will be fairly cheap cement tiles, but a proper roof with steel support and good overhang.
Walls will be concrete/cinder blocks I think.
Glass windows, probably the cheaper sliding ones with alu frames.

I will get a quote later today. I'll post the details. I've asked for a detailed quote and I've got some more specific drawings as well, but I'm not sure if it's OK the post the real drawings.

I would however really appreciate a few second opinions on things like roof structure etc.

Cheers
jvjessen

Postby jvjessen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:56 pm

OK, I just got the quote, it comes to a total of 840,000 baht excluding fixtures etc (told them I'd buy toilets, sinks, kitchen etc myself) will post the details a bit at a time, need to translate it first.

รายละเอียด Width 9.70 เมตร Length 12.25 เมตร

ลำดับ Item Unit Quantity Cost Wages Total
@ รวมเป็นเงิน @ รวมเป็นเงิน
1 Base
1.1 Dirt Cu. Meter 70.00 - - 80.00 5,600.00 5,600.00
1.2 Sand (foundation) Cu. Meter 2.50 450.00 1,125.00 80.00 200.00 1,325.00
1.3 Concrete (rough) Cu. Meter 2.50 1,650.00 4,125.00 250.00 625.00 4,750.00

Looks like space and tab formatting isn't going to work, i'll try attach an excel sheet or maybe do a few screen captures
jvjessen

Postby jvjessen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:46 pm

Here is the quote in images, probably easier than excel:

I would appreciate any feedback on whether this looks reasonable or not.

I've probably left out details, just ask me and I'll try to post them :)

Thanks,
jvjessen

Postby Rick B » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:52 pm

JV, at first sight, THB 840,000 seems like a fair price for the size house you've stated. However, to just compare price to size doesn't give you much. You need to sit down with the builder and find out what he intends to give you for that price. If you have detailed construction drawings, all the better. At least you can hold him to everythings that's stated on the drawings. But many things are not detailed on the drawings. First make sure he has included all phases of the work, including plumbing, electrical, painting. Determine what grade of electrical supplies he intends to provide, as well as what type of paint. He can make some good profit, and conversely, you can end up with a cheap, poorly constructed house if you don't find out and confirm up front what his intentions are. You've stated you will provide the fixtures. But that implies the builder will provide the faucets, drains, shower heads, etc. You can buy a sink valve from about THB 150 to greater than THB 3,000. So you need to find out what he intends to provide, or take these things out of his supply, like you've smartly done with the fixtures, and buy them all yourself. That way you'll get what you want and not lose money with the builder's markup.

Good luck in you build.
Rick B

Postby pattayapope » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:55 pm

The quote is quite low but it can certainly be done for that price. You need to be really specific on every little detail such as type and quality of tiles, type and quality of paint, power outlets, light fans ect. Sometimes it is better to get the builder to take off his list to purchase and you purchase as he will go for the very cheapest of everything to maximise his profit margin.

Although some think a regular shape house (square or oblong) are not trendy they are by far the easiest to build and don't generally suffer with leaking roofs that are quite common with the more fancy roof stiles. If you strike a deal with the builder make sure you do not put too much money up front and keep enough back to finish what he may not want to do. Detailed plans and a detailed contract is the best way to keep him on track.

Best of luck with the build.

PP
pattayapope

Postby Rick B » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:33 pm

After I posted my previous message, I saw you had already posted the builder's breakdown. A few comments off the cuff after quickly reviewing the list. The builder looks like he's quoting ready mixed concrete. That saves him a lot of effort mixing on site, but adds cost to you. He's quoted a significant amount for doors and windows. I would suggest you get him to show you pictures of what he intends to provide for these prices. His electrical quote seems high compared to what I paid for my house. His quote is 10,000 baht cheaper than what I paid for a 2-storey house almost 3Xs the size of yours. You should also get him to specify how many lights, outlets, switches, etc., are included in his price. If also looks like he is not providing any cables from the electric company's meter outside your house to your main circuit breaker inside your house. Is this cable work covered elsewhere by someone else? The material price he's quoted for paint seems very low. Of course, this quote depends of what brand of paint he intends to provide and how many coats of paint are included. These details need to be specified. It also looks like many other material prices he's quoted are quite high. Have you thought of buying all of the materials yourself? Other than saving an obviously agressive markup by the builder, you would also be assuring youself that they use the quality of material you want to go into your house.
Rick B

Postby jvjessen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Rick B wrote:JV, at first sight, THB 840,000 seems like a fair price for the size house you've stated. However, to just compare price to size doesn't give you much. You need to sit down with the builder and find out what he intends to give you for that price. If you have detailed construction drawings, all the better. At least you can hold him to everythings that's stated on the drawings. But many things are not detailed on the drawings. First make sure he has included all phases of the work, including plumbing, electrical, painting. Determine what grade of electrical supplies he intends to provide, as well as what type of paint. He can make some good profit, and conversely, you can end up with a cheap, poorly constructed house if you don't find out and confirm up front what his intentions are. You've stated you will provide the fixtures. But that implies the builder will provide the faucets, drains, shower heads, etc. You can buy a sink valve from about THB 150 to greater than THB 3,000. So you need to find out what he intends to provide, or take these things out of his supply, like you've smartly done with the fixtures, and buy them all yourself. That way you'll get what you want and not lose money with the builder's markup.

Good luck in you build.

After I posted my previous message, I saw you had already posted the builder's breakdown. A few comments off the cuff after quickly reviewing the list. The builder looks like he's quoting ready mixed concrete. That saves him a lot of effort mixing on site, but adds cost to you. He's quoted a significant amount for doors and windows. I would suggest you get him to show you pictures of what he intends to provide for these prices. His electrical quote seems high compared to what I paid for my house. His quote is 10,000 baht cheaper than what I paid for a 2-storey house almost 3Xs the size of yours. You should also get him to specify how many lights, outlets, switches, etc., are included in his price. If also looks like he is not providing any cables from the electric company's meter outside your house to your main circuit breaker inside your house. Is this cable work covered elsewhere by someone else? The material price he's quoted for paint seems very low. Of course, this quote depends of what brand of paint he intends to provide and how many coats of paint are included. These details need to be specified. It also looks like many other material prices he's quoted are quite high. Have you thought of buying all of the materials yourself? Other than saving an obviously agressive markup by the builder, you would also be assuring youself that they use the quality of material you want to go into your house.

Hello Rick,

Thanks for the feedback. I met with the builder and went around in his shop pointing to the materials I would like to use, he was being quite helpful with options (roof tiles, windows styles, bricks etc.) It's all reasonably cheap materials I'm planning on using. I'm going for large windows which might be the reason for the high quote, not sure about the doors, they should all be pretty normal except the main entrance. I believe getting hooked up to the grid will be an additional 15-20K or something. The quote should include all internal wiring, I've asked for it to support at least 3 aircons + normal usage.

I'm not too concerned about paint, sockets, lamps etc, I can gradually change those myself if they turn out to be low quality. I'm mostly concerned about the foundation, walls and roof, as those are the big items, but surely I don't want to just throw money at them.

I had a look at a house he build near where I'm going to build, it's larger, 100% Thai style and much cheaper at around 500K, but looked OK for the money. However I'm in no way experienced in house building, I would say I have a basic understanding from helping out on a few builds, so it's great to get some feedback from people who've been there and done it already.

I do have some detailed drawings, I will post some of them, I would like an opinion on the roof structure and the structure in general, just to make sure it will be standing for at least 15-20 years :) I'm not expecting it to be something that will still be livable 100 years from now.

It's nice to get some opinions before forking over a big chunk of money. I'll try provide more details and post some of the real drawings.

Thanks,
JVJ
jvjessen

Postby jvjessen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:29 pm

pattayapope wrote:The quote is quite low but it can certainly be done for that price. You need to be really specific on every little detail such as type and quality of tiles, type and quality of paint, power outlets, light fans ect. Sometimes it is better to get the builder to take off his list to purchase and you purchase as he will go for the very cheapest of everything to maximise his profit margin.

Although some think a regular shape house (square or oblong) are not trendy they are by far the easiest to build and don't generally suffer with leaking roofs that are quite common with the more fancy roof stiles. If you strike a deal with the builder make sure you do not put too much money up front and keep enough back to finish what he may not want to do. Detailed plans and a detailed contract is the best way to keep him on track.

Best of luck with the build.

PP

Hello PP,

I'm not yet at a point where I've agreed to anything yet, but it's getting close. So the "when to pay what" hasn't been discussed yet. What would a normal agreement be? I'm thinking percentage up front and on parts completed?.

I'll unfortunately not be able to be around all the time during the build, due to work etc. so I don't think buying materials myself will be an option, I'm OK if that is going to cost me an extra 50K+, but I am sending my wife on site with a camera so she can give me daily picture update and communicate with the builder.

Thanks for good advise. I'm just looking a the detailed plans, I'll try post them.

Cheers,
JVJ
jvjessen

Postby jvjessen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:40 pm

Floor plan detailed:

jvjessen

Postby jvjessen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:41 pm

Roof:

jvjessen