COST OF CRUSHED RED ROCK DRIVEWAY

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

COST OF CRUSHED RED ROCK DRIVEWAY

Postby falangsabai » Thu May 10, 2012 11:09 am

We have an approach road to our house that is 22 meters long by 3m wide: 66 m2. I am thinking of surfacing it with the crushed red rock that I see on a lot of unpaved country lanes. I would appreciate any comments about this material. How thick is it applied? How long does it last? Is it good to combine with a layer of small gravel, which I have seen also? What is the approximate cost and how much would I need?. This drive will only serve one small car so there is not a lot of traffic. It is a raised road bed so excessive water has a place to go. Any information would be appreciated.
falangsabai

Re: COST OF CRUSHED RED ROCK DRIVEWAY

Postby pattayapope » Thu May 10, 2012 1:19 pm

You would need to make sure rain can run off quickly other wise it will end up like a swamp and your car wheels will sink. I have a drive around my house and I put a french drain in the middle to get the water off into the drain system. I used very small crushed granite chips and underneath I used the sun shade screen (comes in long rolls about 2 meter wide) to act as a geotextile. The ground was well compacted and I put a layer about 2 to 3 inches deep and it has compacted itself over time. I have a retaining wall made from small red bricks on each side to keep the granite chips from spreading out. So far I am very happy with the result and no problems with any standing water, much better looking than concrete and a lot cheaper.

P3131884.JPG

P3131883.JPG

I paid about 3500 baht a 10 wheel truck and used 3 trucks, the sun shade was about 2000 baht a roll and I used two rolls. The bricks were about 6000 baht and cement and labour about 5000 baht. I also used a JCB for part of the work and reckon it was used for about 3 hours on this job and the JCB cost 5500 baht a day. I don't off hand know the M2 area but it is well over 100 M2
pattayapope

Return to material prices & building costs